The Last Homely Site on the Web

Touching base with one-another

Post Reply   Page 3 of 98  [ 1956 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 598 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 4:11 pm
Living in hope

Leoba, I should have congratulated you on the new job! I'm sorry. I just panicked. :roll:

Honestly, I'd say let's try to get people in place so you can step back as you need to. But obviously we're going to need to stagger the ends of people's terms if we can't stagger the beginnings.

I can go longer if that would help, although I'll be away for two separate weeks in July (our 25th wedding anniversary) and probably about 10 days in August.
  • 1. Do we just use the same volunteer pool, or call for new names as well?

2. Can we simply start a poll, or do we need to touch base with the volunteers again?

3. How do we get three clear winners out of a poll, especially if only forty-some people vote?
I think this is a bit of an emergency, if people are going to have time to try the practice board before starting up work.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 7:07 am
Living in hope

So--here's what I'm going to do, unless somebody objects.

Tomorrow morning (in 8 or 9 hours) I'll post a request for new admin volunteers. We need enough to supply 3 new admins, and at present we have only 6 volunteers, some of whom I'm pretty sure won't be able to serve. I will also email those 6 to see if they want their names left in.

I'll leave this request open until Monday evening in North America.

On Tuesday I'll put up the poll--in this emergency I don't think we should be concerned with statements from the candidates, although I'll ask. The poll will be to elect three people: two for terms to run from May 1 to July 31, and one special term to replace Leoba and run an additional month until June 30. This weirdness is to make the existing terms match with the ones approved by the membership.

The top two vote-getters will take the three-month terms, and the person who comes in third will replace Leoba at the end of April and serve until June 30.

Please let me know right away if you have any objections, so we can discuss them. We really do need to get going on this so the new admins have a chance to train before everyone (but me) leaves.

Thanks!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 10:05 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Thanks for looking into this, Prim. We do need to with reasonable urgency start moving to replace Estel and Ber for the end of April. That's not an emergency, that's exactly what was going to have to happen anyway. ;)

I've thought some more about my disgraceful threat to leave you guys in thre lurch. :P It would help me very much if we could bring my replacement forward, but rather than have a whole bunch of new admin at once, I could conceivably run to the end of my term, just with less involvement than I managed at the outset?

That wouldn't, as I understand it, prevent us having an extra pair of hands on board as you've suggested, as the way we're going constitutionally is towards an odd number of 3 or 5 admin-bods. Or if it would be preferable to keep the number to 4, then I will go.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 3:57 pm
Living in hope

Leoba, thank you for your offer.

What I worked out, though, with someone replacing you for a two-month abbreviated term, was a way to reconcile the existing terms with the way they're supposed to run under the charter--an admin term ending in June. There isn't any term ending in May, so we would still have to vote for someone to replace you for the month of June.

If you'd prefer to stay on, that's great--but please don't be concerned at the trouble of replacing you if you'd rather step down early. We still need to elect someone--the only difference is whether it's for one month or two.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 11:28 pm
Milk and kisses

Cripes! I'd almost forgotten to say - I'll be out of internet access until Thursday. I'm going to Madrid to see my mum and get my wedding dress started (*sigh*), and I don't have reliable internet access when I'm there. Just so you know, in case anyone needs me urgently and I'm not around. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 11:53 pm
Living in hope

Thanks, Ber! I hope that was a happy *sigh* (or is it that you hate sewing as much as I do?). :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 7:48 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Ber - I hope you had a good trip. :)

I need to let you know before I forget that I (and Din) have next week off work and are going away. I expect to be online at some point Sunday but then possibly not after that until a week on Monday (25th).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 6:32 pm
Living in hope

Thanks for letting us know, Leoba! I hope you enjoy your time away.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 3:54 am
Living in hope

Say, since putting up the new forums yesterday I've noticed (!) that my formerly rock-solid browser is crashing remorselessly. I've done all the usual things and it still happens. I was wondering if other admins have had this problem after doing major construction?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 6:06 pm
Living in hope

Well, it seems to have healed itself. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 5:51 pm
Living in hope

Ber, Leoba, and Estel, I've put up a proposal in the Business Room here about how we might use a logical set of groups to manage permissions. I'd appreciate your input!

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Apr , 2005 7:32 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Am back. :) And will take a peek at that link in a bit!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Apr , 2005 8:01 pm
Living in hope

So, we're coming up on the changeover.

Would it be all right with you guys if I adminned the new people at the same time, say about 7 AM GMT on Sunday the 1st? That way it actually will be the 1st for everyone, more or less. Or if one of you would rather handle it, that's fine. :)

As for your own de-adminning, just let me know when you're ready. If I don't hear otherwise from you, I'll do it Sunday night or Monday morning. Of course there's no rush—unless you want there to be! ;)

Thanks very much! And please do let me know if I'm off base, or if you would prefer a different plan.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2005 6:17 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

That time sounds just fine and dandy Prim. For my part I'd say go ahead and do the de-adminning at the same time.

Just when you do it, make sure our permissions don't revert and leave us unable to access the forum. It is (or was, pre-groups) a default when you change someone from 'admin' to 'user'. :)

Oh and thank you - it's been a pleasure working with you girls. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 8:11 am
Per aspera ad astra

I am just dropping in to report presence, but week-ends are always difficult online times for me.

And as a local tradition for the first of may, a little flower for everyobe - we give them as signs of friendship and hopes for spring.

[ img ]

I am looking forward to working with all of you.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 11:13 am
WYSIWYG

Just wanted to say I'm here and hello to all! :)

Ahh, lily-of-the-valley - thanks, Nin! :hug:

Guess I'll have a (very careful) look around now! ;) :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 3:03 pm
Living in hope

Thanks for the lovely flower, Nin! And welcome to you and Hobby.

I'll be in and out all day today, but I'll answer PMs as quickly as I can if you have questions.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 4:07 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I doubt I'll have questions today - sunday is family time, but the one I have, I will ask it here, because it might concern not only me.

I see 10fttall has registered - does the e-mail about the halt of the invite progress go out automatically, or does an admin have to take care of it?

If I find out by myself, I'll edit this post - but givem the little time I am just not sure enough.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 4:11 pm
Living in hope

An admin has to send it out. You're short on time today, so one of the others will cover it. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 4:39 pm
Per aspera ad astra

:)

Thank you - next question, then.... I saw I received a copy of the registration with a clickable link to my normal e-mail - si this answers one question if all mails concerning admin business are forwarded automically. Good thing I changed my mail in time and have plenty of space now :D.

As sender adress, it gives the yahoo adress - so which one is valid the yahoo one or the board77 one and which one do we use for answers? I understood the board77 one... am I right?

And I prefer to ask here in thread, because I think I might not be the only one wondering.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 98  [ 1956 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 598 »
Jump to: