board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Touching base with one-another

Post Reply   Page 4 of 98  [ 1956 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 698 »
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 4:40 pm

I've taken care of it. :) I would like it if everyone would take a look at the email I sent to him and give me feedback at what I wrote. It was surprisingly wrenching to have tell someone who I knew from TORC that they could not come in yet, and also a bit unsettling to send something anonymously without signing my own name (or at least my user name). It really crystalized my desire to get the issue of opening the board decided at long last. It is my intention to begin a discussion in the business forum in the very near future with that goal in mind, but I wanted to raise the issue here first to get your opinions first.

I'm greatly looking forward to working with all of you. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 5:05 pm
Living in hope

Sure, Nin. You'll get emails like this when people register, but this is the first "out of the blue" registration in four weeks, so your inbox won't be overloaded, I think, at least until we open.

The one important thing while we're closed is not to click on the link in the email (I did it the first time I got one, of course!). That activates the person who registered and sends them a welcome email.

The person still can't see anything on the board because his permissions haven't been changed, but it does make it more awkward to tell him he's not really a member and can't be.

The Yahoo address is still being used for all the board's automatic emails, but the admins have been using the board77 email for sending outgoing business emails, and it's posted as the email to reach admins. It doesn't get a lot of use, as people tend to PM.

If you email people by clicking on the button in their profiles or a post, that email comes from your personal account. So it's best to use a board email for board business, especially with strangers.

Edit: Cross-posted with Voronwe. Thanks for taking care of it! But when I send those emails I sign my TORC name—I see no reason not to.

One last thing to be done—could you go to 10-FT's profile and change his location to "Not yet an active member"? That makes it easier to pick those names out of the list. Thanks!

Do start a discussion, Voronwe. I think it's reasonable—it's the next big step.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 5:15 pm

Quote:
One last thing to be done—could you go to 10-FT's profile and change his location to "Not yet an actiive member"? That makes it easier to pick those naames out of the list. Thanks!
Done.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 5:48 pm
WYSIWYG

So, Voronwe, how can we take a look at the e-mail you sent? :scratch
I'd be very interested to know what you said.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 6:24 pm
Living in hope

Just a heads-up—

RoseMorninStar went through the invite process, was voted in, but no one could find an email for her. Contact was finally made this morning, so she may be registering.

If you get her email, do click on the link.

Then go to the Forum Index page, select the "User Groups" tab at the top, and pick "All_Members."

Scroll to the bottom—there's a box for adding members to the group. Type the name she registered under and add her to the group.

That's it—her permissions are set! <preens>

Finally, add her name to the "Activated Users" list in the second post of the "Registered New Users ex March" thread in this forum.

When she's activated she'll get an automated welcome. As a courtesy, you may also want to email her from the Board77 account to give her a slightly more personal welcome to the board.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 6:41 pm
Triathlete

Hobby, to see the email, look at the PM you got from Prim for instructions on accessing the Sekrit Admin Forum. Then click on Mail, then Sent Mail. To save you the trouble, the letter looks like this (I hope this is OK with you, Voronwe):

Dear 10FTTALL -

Thank you for registering at board77. We are currently working out our
governance issues, and will be accepting new registrations soon. When that
process is completed, we will activate your account and let you know right
away.

Thank you for your patience. We greatly look forward to seeing you at board77
in the very near future.

board77 admins

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 7:55 pm

Thanks, laureanna, I don't mind at all.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 7:59 pm
WYSIWYG

Thanks laureanna - Voronwe had PMed me how to get there, too (thanks) :) - LOL, I didn't know that the mailbox was what was meant by "sekrit admin forum" - I thought that meant the sensitive info. :roll:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 8:03 pm
Triathlete

Next problem: Our forum configuration has ad_b77@yahoo.uk.co as our email address. But when I tried to send a message to it, I got an automatic reply from the yahoo mailer-daemon that the account is "disabled or discontinued and cannot be delivered". So why is it still sending out notices to me every time I get a PM???? I've written an email to the mailer-daemon, but don't expect a reply. I think we need to change our return address to something that can actually be replied to. And we need to find out who still has access to ad_b77, and get that account cleaned out.

EDIT: I signed up RoseMorninStar. And I sent her invite thread to the deleted thread archives.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 9:02 pm
Living in hope

Well, I hope all you people are impressed by the crash course I organized for you. A fake registration and a real one on your first day on the job, when we haven't had either for weeks. . . .

Now all we need is a troll. :D

Edit: The email problem is one I really don't know how to solve—I'm completely unclear on how the board software interacts with the admin account, and why the old account is still active for automatic emails but not accessible for anything else. Or how we would go about changing it.

I find the Board77 email cumbersome to use, and we don't have control of its password—which we should, as if that's to be the admin email the password should change every time admins leave.

If you, laureanna, or any of the other admins would be wiling to figure out how we could rationalize this situation, I'd be very grateful. Maybe just opening a new third account that would be for the auto-emails and for our use would be simplest and cleanest. I doubt anything of significance is left in that Yahoo account, and the Board77 email files could just stay, as presumably we will be using that account when the board moves.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 9:20 pm
Living in hope

Here's something I would be willing to rationalize: the list of who has registered. It's been so long since we had any significant number of new registrations that this might be a good time to let the old lists stand as records and start fresh with something a little more logical that could handle the onslaught when we open.

We have four categories of names to keep track of:
  • People who have emailed the Board77 account to ask about becoming members—these have been told that they will be notified when the board opens (or invites reopen)
  • People who have registered "out of the blue" without an invitation—these also are on a list to be contacted and activated when the board opens (if we don't open but reopen invites instead, they will have to find people to start threads for them)
  • RP characters—these can be activated but must be added to the RP character group, not to All_Members
  • Legitimate registrations of people who have been invited (all registrations after we open)
I would suggest either four threads, or one thread with four constantly updated posts—one, in any case, for each category. I also think the lists should be maintained alphabetically, not chronologically—add new people in the correct alphabetical position.

The lists for people who've inquired and people who've registered without invitations could be transferred from where they are now and maintained in the new place. Same for the RP characters; Guru's keeping a list in that forum, but I think we ought to maintain one.

The list of new registrations could start fresh, maybe with RoseMorninStar.

What do you guys think? Does this sound good? And if so, one thread or four?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 10:30 pm

Yes, it makes sense. One thread would probably be fine, but so would four. ;)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 11:00 pm
Living in hope

I'm now thinking four threads, because three would become obsolete after we open. We would no longer be trying to control secondary IDs, so no RP permissions; and everyone on the first two lists would be able to simply show up. That would leave us with one thread that we'd continue to use.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 12:56 am
WYSIWYG

But we could also just delete the superfluous posts! ;)

I'm for one thread, because it's faster to only have to open one thread. :D

Good idea, though. :)

But what do you mean:
Quote:
We would no longer be trying to control secondary IDs, so no RP permissions;
:Q
I thought that rule would stay the same - or won't there be anymore membership votes on business and board-structure questions once we open?

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 2:02 am
Living in hope

The problem is how the forum permissions will work. Most people who have forums where you have to register to post would just accomplish that by setting the forum permissions that way, to "Reg"—no need to mess with individual permissions at all. But also no way to set up a class of members who can only use one forum. There would be no way to restrict people from particular forums other than by setting an entire forum as Private. (All our forums right now are Private, meaning specific permission has to be granted to see and use them, whether to individual posters or to members of a group.)

The voting is a problem. I think there might be a way around it, to set forum voting permissions to "off" and then create a group called "Voters" with that permission on for all forums—then somehow add just people's primary ID to that group and no secondary IDs. But we would have to trust people to be honest; someone really determined to vote more than once could use one ID from work, say, and one from home and there'd be no way to trace it, as long as we didn't know they were the same person.

Sorry. Thinking aloud here. I hope there is a simpler solution I'm missing. If someone reading this who can't post here has an idea, I hope they'll PM me!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 2:13 am

That's a lovely picture, Prim. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 2:26 am
Living in hope

Thanks, Voronwe. I like it, too. It's an unused matte painting of Rivendell, of course.

No brilliant solution to offer yet? :) This is definitely something we'll have to work out before we open.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:01 am

To be honest, I don't see what the problem is.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:20 am
Living in hope

The problem is how to limit each member to one vote when members can have multiple IDs. When we're open we probably won't want to continue the elaborate system of permissions we have now. And we won't be just admitting people we already know. So the system would be open to abuse if somebody really wanted to have more than one vote and registered under multiple IDs.

We contain the problem now by limiting RP IDs to the RP forum, and otherwise not allowing second IDs. We won't be able to do that on an open board.

I don't think it's unsolveable at all—it's just something else to think about for the future.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:21 am
Triathlete

There's no way to keep several screen names of one person from all voting on the little anonymous polls at the top of threads. For email votes, we would just have to watch out for secondary persona. There wasn't any attempt to do so in the WCA ballots, as far as I or the mods on the committee could tell. I'd rather be trusting than go to all the work to track down one multiple voter. I promise I won't vote with all twelve of mine. ;)

For the lists of members, let's just have one thread, and post one can be type one people, post two is type two people, etc. Eventually we can delete/edit posts two, three, and four. Makes them easy to find, and they don't take up the space of several sticky threads.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 98  [ 1956 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 698 »
Jump to: