The Last Homely Site on the Web

Touching base with one-another

Post Reply   Page 5 of 98  [ 1956 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 798 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:28 am
Living in hope

Yes, I do have to remind myself that we have to start from an assumption that people are going to be honest. I doubt that scamming boardwide votes is likely to seem like attractive fun. :) And it's unlikely to swing the balance in any case.

I'm also thinking one thread, since as you and Voronwe point out, we can just delete obsolete posts. If no one has any objection, I'll make the thread in the next day or two, using the Administrator ID. Unless somebody else really wants to do it!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:29 am

Well, this will sound strange coming from me, but I have no problem with limiting people to one user name, other then RP identities and other special cases. I would just as soon keep the forums private and continue with the "elaborate system of permissions" even when we open. It just gives so much more flexibility in what can be done. With the groups that you set up, Prim, it really would not be too much of an effort for the admins to set the appropriate permissions.

Sure there would always be potential for abuse by a determined person, but that is going to be the case no matter what happens if we open. There is going to have to be a certain amount of trust and a level of responsibility expected of all members if board77 is going to work.

But I definitely think that purposefully creating additional user names to get extra votes should be one of the things that will be considered "against the rules."

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:39 am
Living in hope

Sounds as if there's a lot to discuss! :)

You're right, of course, that permissions aren't that burdensome with groups. And now that I think of it, our governance system is predicated on it—we have to be able to have read-only forums like this one, and to be able to confine a serious offender to the Jury Room until his hearing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:46 am
Triathlete

Unless, of course, he just pops up with a new ID. Not that any one of us would do that if banned .....

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 4:11 am
Living in hope

Well, how do we stop anyone? Someone who's been banned who sneaks back often gives himself away by repeating the same bad behavior that got him banned . . . or, he might behave like a different person and be in no danger of banning. I'd argue that in the latter case the ban still worked.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 4:17 am
Triathlete

Having the ability to still fight for one's honor in the BikeRacks may make a big difference. Total silence is hard to endure. If someone wants to post under an alias, there are ways to do it, but the person must use a different ISP and a different posting style, and not drop hints. I figured out Sador Labadal in only a few minutes, without having any mod abilities. No one can match V's style. ;)

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 4:23 am
Living in hope

Yes--under the proposed charter the only people banned without a hearing of any kind are ones who commit a major offense (off a short list) less than a week after registering—and even they can have a hearing for reinstatement if they know to ask for it. That's got to help.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 4:23 am

Well I remember your email, my friend. I thanked you for keeping me in line then, and I thank you now. :D

The only way that we could ensure that these kind of problems could never arise would be to never open at all. That's not an option as far as I'm concerned.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 4:29 am
Living in hope

Trying to work all this out is very interesting and educational. One begins to see why it might be tempting to opt for a structure where admins are not accountable to members at all, where members have no recourse and no voice. It's such a beautifully simple plan—you only need a few rules that way. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 4:41 am

You see much Primula, daughter of Mirabella. Too much. ;)

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 7:59 am
Per aspera ad astra

I was already member when the issue of multiple IDs was discussed and the discussion is still visible in the RP forum. Honestly, I think it should stay one of the rules of the board that secondary IDs are allowed for RP purposes only, and thus limited to the RP forum. Several of us (and mainly the RP writers) have made bad experiences with multiple IDs and their writers pretending to be someone else, up to the point of creating new IM names and chat pretending to be someone else.

It hurts when it happens, and maybe from the outside when you don't write RP you cannot imagine the amount of trust you put into collective writing.

No, there may be no way of controlling it, but often secondary IDs are easy to spot and when one gets spotted, the secondary ID can be banned or restricted to BikeRacks or Here and Back Again without further consequences for the main ID...

All this said, I prefer the idea of one thread, because I am a messy person. And I think this discussion does nt belong here, but in the Business Room or in the Convention.

Voronwë, like you, I can't wait to have the boards open!!!!!!

Last edited by Nin on Mon 02 May , 2005 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 8:33 am
Living in hope

Nin, this will all certainly be covered again in the Business Room when opening is discussed. We've gotten off our topic a bit, but it was done while trying to work out how a thread for admins should work, so I think we can forgive ourselves. ;)

And I agree now—one thread it will be. But not until tomorrow or the next day—I am still up working. Three deadlines tomorrow and I spent too much time this weekend on family silliness such as movies, tsk. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 10:34 am
WYSIWYG

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Trying to work all this out is very interesting and educational. One begins to see why it might be tempting to opt for a structure where admins are not accountable to members at all, where members have no recourse and no voice. It's such a beautifully simple plan—you only need a few rules that way. ;)
:LMAO:
Very true, unfortunately! :D

Hehe, sorry for the derailment, but I'm glad I brought it up - I also think multiple IDs should be contained somehow. :)

And I almost hit "edit" instead of "quote" twice already! :Q
I noticed in time, but you were right, Prim, it's dangerous - I think the button is in the same place where "quote" used to be, I noticed I went to it automatically.

I'm also thinking one thread, since as you and Voronwe point out, we can just delete obsolete posts.
I said that, not V - just sayin'. ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 1:52 pm
Living in hope

Sorry, Hobby—it was 1:30 in the morning when I posted that! ;) And I was editing a lovely disgusting book on large animal veterinary medicine. Which I finished shortly after and just emailed away—now it's time for taxonomy of plants, and after that political science. . . .

I did learn last night that if you blindfold a pig, it walks backwards. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 2:01 pm

I definitely think the issue of secondary id's will need to be discussed as part of the discussion of members rights and responsibilities, in the convention (and possibly in the business forum). But meanwhile, my assumption is that the current rules would stay in place, even if we opened before that discussion was completed and the relevant portions of the charter ratified.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 03 May , 2005 2:22 pm

I've had a request regarding quotes stretching the page in this this thread. I can't figure out what is going on. If anyone else can, please fix it and let me know. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 03 May , 2005 2:33 pm
Living in hope

I've looked at it, too, and didn't find anything at all.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 03 May , 2005 3:14 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I had a look earlier from school today, and don't have an idea why.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 03 May , 2005 7:00 pm
WYSIWYG

For me, the other pages in that thread are normal, it's just that one page.

The only poster who only posted on this page but not on any other is "Woman of Secret Shadow".

But there's no code or anything in that post, and I looked up some other posts of that ID and none of those pages is so horribly stretched.

If it's a bug, what kind of bug can that be? :scratch

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 03 May , 2005 7:06 pm
Living in hope

Well, laureanna is the only one left to look—maybe she'll spot something! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 98  [ 1956 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 798 »
Jump to: