The Last Homely Site on the Web

Board 77 Admin rotation - VOLUNTEER!!

Locked   Page 7 of 8  [ 141 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 4:32 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Four admins: Estel, Ber, Griff and Leoba.

No talk of increasing admins as of yet. The whole admin thing will hopefully be hammered out in the Constitutional Convention thing.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 12:44 pm
Try to stay perky

Thanks Eru. :)

I've been following the convention thread (and boy! am I glad I'm not doing any tallying for this! WCA was bad enough!) and have a word to say about Ethel's very valid points on the admin volunteering/voting process.

I suggest the selection of admins could go thus:

1. A poster volunteers

2. If the person fits the criteria (ie seniority etc) his/her acceptability for the role is put to the vote

3a. If voted down and is of robust constitution, s/he can renominate after a given period 6 months?)

3b. If found acceptable, that member is placed on a roster/waiting list and when the next vacancy occurs an offer is made to the next person on the list. (If the offer is turned down due to any number of RL factors, the offer is made to the next person on the list).

4. People can therefore nominate themselves at any time.

5. People can remove themselves from the list at any time.

6. Minimises the possibility of hurt feelings - and also minimises the number of recurring votes for admins imposed on the membership!

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 1:09 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

That's pretty much what we're doing so far Impenitent *):D But thanks for verbalizing it properly. I'm sure it will be 'pilfered' and perused ;) in the upcoming Constitutional panel discussion. Admin's and all that it entails is next on the list :)

*) I've sent PMs to all the volunteers for Admin that are still on the pending list and asked them to confirm. Updates are done on a daily basis in the first post of this thread

Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 6:31 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Alandriel wrote:
Jude has only volunteered expertise in programming. Please yell if I'm wrong!
Well, I'll be happy to help in any way I can. But if I understand the Term of Office and Eligibility thread correctly, I have to be here at least 6 months or have 500 posts first?

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 7:24 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Jude: All that is still being discussed amongst many other issues amongst the members of the Constitutional panel. Head over to the Jury room if you want to see what's going on ;)
The current rules are anyone can volunteer as Admin. Updated info in first post of this thread (recommendations that is).

For the time being I'll keep you on the list, ok (since you kindly volunteered your help quite some time ago)? And if you actively would like to volunteer as an Admin (not only as tech help) then please tell me so and I can update your 'status' in the first post of this thread.

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Mar , 2005 3:07 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Thanks to those people who've sent me a brief description of themselves. For the sake of those who haven't done yet, and for my own sanity, I'm not planning on being online this evening and so intend to set up a new voting thread on Tuesday 22nd March.

Please can those of you interested in volunteering PM me a little bit of info about yourself, or indeed, just your timezone and the sort of hours you're likely to be online. We really could do with some cover for the hours between 11pm & 6am GMT. ;)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 10:20 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Now that the last vote has gone through I've updated the first and third post in here accordingly.
The voting took place in Admin election which was started on 12April and closed on 21April. Results can be viewed in that thread.

Prim & everybody else: I know the voting results were pretty clear but I have one concern - and that is re time-zone coverage.
According to the poll selection we would have 3 people in US timezone and only 1 in Europe time-zone (until 30June that is when another rotation will take place).

Thing is, I'm not particularly happy with that spread. It should be more equal. May I then propose to select one further Admin - bringing the total we will then have to 5 Admins - which is an odd number and in my opinion better than an even number ;) and also would allow for extra hands on board.
That additional Admin would be truehobbit who also happens to be in timezone Europe, which would even out the balance a bit better ;)

Just a suggestion of course. :)

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 2:20 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

We have this up for ratification soon:
Quote:
¶1: Number of Administrators and Terms of Office
• We have five to seven administrators, depending on the needs of the board at the time. They serve three-month terms and are selected from among the members who are eligible and have volunteered. [approved March 24, 2005; amended April 18, 2005]
So I don't think it would be a problem to add the extra admin especially as it seems we have the need for broader time zone coverage (though I always see truehobbit online during American afternoon and evenings! :P She must be a night owl! :) ) But this hasn't been ratified yet, so I'm not sure how we would go about this procedure-wise.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 3:48 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Well, we've been using non-ratified procedures up until now without a problem. The time periods in question are not very long, so if the members decide to do things differently, it doesn't 'cost' us very much.

I'm a big believer in time zone coverage :) and in this election people knew that several top vote-getters would serve terms, so I see no problem with asking TH whether she would also serve. In fact, I would like to see that happen.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 3:53 pm

Normally I don't like to see the rules change in mid-stream, but I think this makes a lot of sense. I myself had thought about the time zone converage issue. And hobby would be a wonderful person to work with. I am definitely in favor.

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 4:23 pm
Living in hope

I have PMed Nin and truehobbit. Nin has responded that she's willing to serve a longer term, although she may need a temp admin during July to cover her holiday plans. I haven't heard back from truehobbit.

[ img ]

Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 4:59 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I am also willing to see TH serve a longer term....

In fact, I'm rather here to congratulate Voronwë and Laureanna, and to pity for having to cope with me.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 5:16 pm
Living in hope

truehobbit has responded with a yes! She has agreed to the two-month term.

So, unless someone grabs my elbow, I'll post a revised announcement in an hour or so. Please, anyone reading this, PM me right away if there is something else I need to know or consider first.

(Did that sound desperate? It was, a bit. :) )

[ img ]

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 6:25 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:D Wonderful!

Thank you one and all, especially Nin and Truehobbit :hug:

laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 7:53 pm
Triathlete

Thanks for doing that, Prim. I was feeling bad that the timezone coverage was so lop-sided. If it would help, you can make my term a shorter term, and a European a longer term, so that a Pacific Coaster and a European will continue on into the summer.

Well, I'm back.

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 8:42 pm
Living in hope

laureanna, I don't think that's necessary. At least two new admins will be starting July 1, and by then it will probably be a mayor making the schedule. Geographic coverage will be one of the factors the mayor will consider, so it will be done logically from then on. :)

Edit: If we do find ourselves needing to hold another election in June, we might want to limit the candidates to non-U.S. time zones. But I hope all this will be moot.

[ img ]

Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 12:27 am
Try to stay perky

I've obviously missed something because I'm completely baffled as to why there is a discrepancy between the length of terms served by different admins? :scratch

I'm sure there's a very obvious reason for it right under my nose. :oops:

and I note that there's no coverage during the antipodean day. :rage:

I jest. :)

[ img ]

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 12:39 am
Living in hope

We need more antipodeans in the admin pool. ;)

The two-month term is an oddity. The schedule for admin terms that the members chose is staggered, with eight different terms each year. It doesn't dovetail perfectly with the terms of the current admins, who were elected before the plan was adopted.

Having one admin serve only two months makes us end up with two admins (truehobbit and me) leaving June 30, which fits with the schedule adopted by the membership.

I hope that helps!

[ img ]

Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 12:44 am
Try to stay perky

Primula_Baggins wrote:
I hope that helps!
:oops: :oops: :oops: Not really :LMAO:

Please - no need to explain further. I'm content being just a tad :confused: because it dovetails with my regular state of being, which tends to be :uhoh: :suspicious: :confused:

:LMAO:

[ img ]

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 1:01 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Well, Leoba is leaving early because of her new job. That's the main reason why one term is 'short' - someone is finishing her term.

Actually that partial term is being extended to bring the terms into sync with the schedule the members voted on. Technically the person who finishes Leoba's term should serve for one month+, but we're having them serve for two so that the term will end on June 30 instead of June 5.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 7 of 8  [ 141 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Jump to: