board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Board 77 Admin rotation - VOLUNTEER!!

Locked   Page 1 of 8  [ 141 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Board 77 Admin rotation - VOLUNTEER!!
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 11:08 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

This thread is no longer active. Please go to Admins & Admin volunteer pool Thanks :)

[edit: 20Jun05 Alandriel]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No active running polls.

If you'd like to volunteer, please post in this thread after reading through this first post. Thanks! :)

Current Admins are (list of previous Admins & rotations in 3rd post):
Primula Baggins,Berhael, Alassante Estel, Leoba
Updated info on this is also availalbe in Welcome Current Admins & special permissions for users

Volunteer pool (for now and the future): in order of having volunteered

TrueHobbit timezone Europe
Areanor timezone Europe
Holbytla timezone US
Farawen timezone Europe
Jnyusa timezone US
Maria Hobbit timezone US
Tinwe_Linto timezone US

Ethel / updated 15Apr -> possibly available later (volunteered but is taking a leave until the board is open)
Jude: offers skills as a php and mysql programmer if needed

Terms of office for Admins and other issues are now being debated by the Constitutional pannel and will be brought to the membership to vote on in time.
A draft Admin code of conduct has been hammered out as well as Article 3 of the future constution concerning Administrators -> please see Actual document so far. Although the proposed constitution has not gone yet before member approval it is nevertheless an important document to familiarize yourself with.

Furthermore, a training programm is now in effect for volunteer & trainee Admins at the B77 Experiment Forum. Please read the stickies and announcements before diving in :)

You're volunteering, time and effort to make B77 a democratic community is most appreciated. :)

[info updated Alandriel 21April 2005)

------------ previous post --------------------

Board 77 is evolving and many have expressed opinions on its future development. As it stands today, all so far that have signed up here have full access (except Admin forum but if someone wants a peek there then please open a thread in welcome so all can have an input who is admin and for how long).

An RP forum is in the planning: being discussed New Name for RP forum/

Issues regarding which threads to move and where is being discussed: why a confidential forum

These changes takes place in order for growth to be possible in the future - meaning, allowing new posters in upon invitation (this board will stay private as to majority wish so far) and voting which will take place in the Confidential forum in the future (or, alternatively in the welcome forum and when finished moved to Confidential).

Confidential will not be initially accessible to new members, only again upon discussion - so we can 'free up' the other forums and yet keep a 'safe' place at the same time. Threads that have content regarding the initial petition will be moved there (see link above where this discussion is taking place). A new welcome thread will be put together to replace the existing one. Input always appreciated but I'll put something together soon for you to have a look at.

Please participate. Your opinion is valuable.
:D cheers!

Last edited by *Alandriel* on Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:55 pm, edited 44 times in total.

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 12:52 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

In relation to clean-up, thought not directly relevant to this part of the forum.

The Addresses thread has been moved to Confidential. There are still a lot of addresses in the Swaps thread that might need an Admin (or original posters) to go and tidy up at some point, for consistency's sake. :)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 12:57 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Update / List of previous admins newest chage-overs on top (will be kept updated for ref purposes)
1 = timezone 1 Europe
2 = timezone 2 US
3 = timezone 3 Australia/Far East

Leoba 1 (early resign) -> Truehobbit 1 (01May – 30Junl) extended term as agreed :)
Primula Baggins 2 (ex Griffon) 01Apr- 30June
Alassante Estel 2 -> Vornwe 2 (01May – 31 Jul)
Berhael -1 > Laureanna 2 (US) 01May – 31Jul)
Nin 1 will begin her term as a 5th Admin (01May-31July) so as of 01May we'll have 5 Admins! :)

Griffon 1 > Primula Baggins 2 (April 1 to June 30, 2005)

Alandriel 1(ex Oct04)-> Griffon 1 (ex mid December 04)
Dindraug 1 (ex Oct04)-> Berhael 1 (Feb-May 05)
Eruname 2 (ex Oct 04)-> Alassante Estel 2 (15FEB-01May)
Gimli 2 -> (ex Oct 04) ->Leoba 1 (ex 05Mar-01June) but then early resign 01May

[last updated Alandriel 21April 05]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Previous post:
I'd rather each poster tiedies up their stuff as they see fit :wink:

And now I've got to re-edit the first post and the links :roll: seems I can't get anything straight the first time around

Last edited by *Alandriel* on Thu 21 Apr , 2005 6:29 pm, edited 10 times in total.

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 11:24 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Upon reflection and the current ongoing situation on TORC as well as the future outlook of Board 77 I think it's a good idea to move the whole Discussion forum as it is into 'Eyes & Ears' and let it continue there on it's own.
Confidential will also remain as is in 'Eyes & Ears' and new members will initially not have access to either (unless it's decided by vote to the positive).

I propose to make these changes on 10th December so that Board 77 has a chance to evolve.

Would you support such a 'change' (it's just a location change really)?

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 12:19 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Yes it makes sense to me. Apart from anything else, it gives us the separation of discussion from the impotent info-gathering exercise. And it's easier for the admins to do

Geez... with this organisation fetish of mine, you'd have thought maybe I actually listened in the exciting filing training I underwent yesterday. :roll::P

I think there are some threads which could equally be in the Turf to be honest (you know - the ones that aren't really bitching specifically and/or aren't to do with TORC). Perhaps it's easier to shift the lot and then move the minority threads.

Or maybe I'm talking out of my posterior today?

[ img ]

Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 6:38 pm
Garrulous Griffon

Leoba - you make sense to me, so unless I'm tuned to posterior-talk today :P

I like the ideas as you've put them forward. Alandriel - for what my opinion's worth, being a n00b here ;) :mrgreen:

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 11:05 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Leoba wrote:
Perhaps it's easier to shift the lot and then move the minority threads.
Yep. I think that might be easier. I follow Leoba here.

For it might be easier to move single threads out of the Confidental Forum one by one in times to come than to check every single thread quickly and move it into it.

err. do I know what I was saying? :ask:

I mean, before you check every thread if it may stay out of the CF (Confidental Forum), it might be easier to move all of them and check them later, when there is more time.

[ img ]

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Dec , 2004 10:17 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

It's done :D All threads have been moved to the new place. If you want any moved back then let me know

Here's to a bright future of B77 :wink:

:toast:

Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Dec , 2004 7:00 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Estel here - just wanted to post a quick idea before the internet bugs out again.

In regards to admin/moderators, whatever - why don't we do a rotating system - every 3-6 months members can nominate people who they think would be good administrators - people can be admins more than once, but not two rotations in a row. That way, we won't get the TORC situation where people get so used to having power to the point where they abuse it. Truly a board run by and for the posters.

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Dec , 2004 7:15 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Estel - that's what we had in mind from the very beginning :D

If you'd like to open a thread in discussion on this and offer your services, then please do so. We're only waiting for volunteers :wink:

Basically it could work, now that we have 4 adims, for the first rotation to e.g. replace one admin sending them to a well deserved holiday for e.g. 3-4 months) while the other three stay on. This is so that new Admins have a chance to settle in. Then after after that period, another rotation can take place if volunteers come forward.
But be warned - as an Admin, you don't get power nor glory - you just get work :wink: - which means, for the time you're up, you've gotta be around and pay attention all around :)

Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Dec , 2004 8:57 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Can complete computer illeterates like me become admins????? :shock:

Are you sure to know what you do?

But then - the very question I ask, means that somehow I think I'll still be here in three months... I might not have said so a few days ago.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Dec , 2004 9:04 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

nienor-niniel wrote:

Are you sure to know what you do?
Nope! I'm never 100% sure I know what I'm doing :wink: but I nevertheless always try my best :D

Good to hear your more on the positive nn :hug: And yes! Anybody that wants to, has time for it and will put their best into it can apply to become admin. That's how B77 works :mrgreen: All we do is vote :mrgreen:

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Dec , 2004 11:08 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Estel in bloke's clothes wrote:
In regards to admin/moderators, whatever - why don't we do a rotating system - every 3-6 months members can nominate people who they think would be good administrators - people can be admins more than once, but not two rotations in a row.
Absolutely!

I'd have thought three admins were sufficient at any one time, but maybe those slogging their guts out right now would disagree there. :P

I like the idea of nominating, rather than people volunteering themselves. Kind of, it's part and parcel of membership that you do your (maybe three month?) stint. I did half think you'd need to keep an existing admin to show the new folks the ropes - but it doesn't look too complex from what I've noseyed at. And, let's face it, the old folk'll still be around. We could maybe have a week or so handover period?

Maybe give it to the end of January (when the first quarter will be up) and have a change over then?

Of course, I'm not sure how that sits with opening up the membership - especially if we wanted to keep Eyes&Ears closed off. And what about the 'vote on a new member' threads? If they're lingering in 'Deleted' storage then it might not be too nice. Possibly they should be deleted entirely once someone is accepted?

[ img ]

Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Dec , 2004 5:26 am
Garrulous Griffon

I'd volunteer for admin service, being in IT myself and all I think it might be cool to find out how admining a board works, I've never done that before. :) Should that happen though, I'd be a complete n00b :mrgreen:

I like the idea of a rotation very much indeed. That way the workload is spread, don't forget that :)

I think B77's going to be a great place. On the topic, I happen to like the idea of invite only, still. That way, the way I see it, the need for modding / etc becomes very light, since the people on the board are sensible for the most part. If you understand what I'm saying, I'm not at my brightest this morning :mrgreen:

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Dec , 2004 7:55 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Leoba: I like the idea of nominating, rather than people volunteering themselves.
Nominating people (volunteering them :wink:) is a nice idea but I see some potential drawbacks there

- nominees might not want to be Admins
- nominees might not have the time to be Admins

Maybe a better way could be a combination of both. We make a list of nominees, tally them up e.g. at the end of the week; then see if they are interested and have the time for it (very important I think) and then from a that list of possibles we can do a vote.
A bit more 'tedious', but it could work. (see?? Am just trying to make everybody happy :wink:)

Otherwise, we could simply have a thread (again, running for e.g. a week to 10 days) where posters can volunteer and then we do a vote :)

Great to see some interest in the job :D

I was going to suggest putting Gimli's job up first since he's not around much due to RL pressures and then mine.... I need a holiday :wink:
The first could take place in January (effective first week Jan), and the second e.g. effective mid/end January

What do you think?

Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Dec , 2004 8:44 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
I was going to suggest putting Gimli's job up first since he's not around much due to RL pressures and then mine.... I need a holiday
The first could take place in January (effective first week Jan), and the second e.g. effective mid/end January
That sounds good Alandriel, then Eru and I can carry on for a bit say until Easter and then new folks can do it for a bit, Fab ;)

Nominations can open mid Jan, and I would sugest that if anybody see's they have been nominated and doesn't want to do it they mention it.

And Time and access to do the work is imnportant as well, as Alandriel said. Its not that exceiting, but the need to be available is somewhat constraining at times, just something to consider.

:mrgreen:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Dec , 2004 9:31 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

just a repeat from the edit I made to the first post

Frankly - I need to see this getting rolling. I have a terribly busy time over X-mas/New Year coming up and in Jan I want to go back to some studying. As much as it has been a pleasure and privilege to admin this site I sorely need a break from it all.

As has been discussed - 2 Admin jobs will be up for grabs (me and Gimli) come January (actually - for me, the sooner the better :wink:)

So - the game is: NOMINATE!!!!!

But do us all a favor: only nominate people you know would not mind doing the job.. or nominate yourself :wink:

Maybe by X-mas I can hand over if I'm lucky - that would be a great pressie :D

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Dec , 2004 10:47 am
Milk and kisses

I nominate myself, but from February only. I'll be juggling three jobs next term and I need some time to adjust to the schedule before I can compromise myself to anything.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Dec , 2004 10:53 am
Garrulous Griffon

Would also nominate self, but I'm kind of limited in that I don't have Inet at home currently ... maybe when I have that? But as you can see no Inet at home haven't stopped me from being on all the time :mrgreen:

I suggest that people mostly nominate themselves, perhaps? Since they themselves best know if they will have time or not :)

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Dec , 2004 10:58 am
Milk and kisses

If I'm to be made an admin, I want Griff around too so I can pester her with the IT side of it while I'm doing the other stuff.

"Griiiiiiffyyyyyy... how do I lock a thread (again) pleeeeaaaaase?" :oops:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 8  [ 141 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
Jump to: