board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Market Day

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Axordil
Post subject: Market Day
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 6:16 pm
Not so deep as a well

I'm looking around B77 and seeing a lot of activity, which is wonderful, but I am slightly concerned by one thing: the alignment of most of our posters into the same social circles they were in at TORC. There's nothing wrong with this--I mean, we're here to socialize--but I also want to make sure we never become so compartmentalized that important things can be happening in one forum that never get noticed elsewhere.

So I had this idea in my fever-induced delerium last night (another bout of the flu, dammit): once every eight days, the non-business forums shut down and are replaced with one big muckin' thread in one forum, Market Day. Everyone, for one day in eight, posts together, and sees people they might not otherwise, at least not as often.

I'm thinking eight days so the actual day of the week varies.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 6:24 pm
That Weird American

I like the idea...except do you know how crazy it would be if we all posted in one thread? That's probably around a page a minute at twenty posts per page...

Good idea though...however, I'm not sure it'd go over so well...the people who are splitting into small groups aren't the ones who're going to be on enough for this. The rest of us, who're on a lot, mix pretty good.

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 6:31 pm
Living in hope

One thread might be a tight fit for this place, definitely, though the idea of getting people out of their small accustomed circles is an excellent one.

Some of the board restructuring ideas being discussed here involve dividing the forums up more by type of thread than by interest. Thus the spam and party threads would all be in the same forum, whether they were descended from threads in Manwe or M00bies or Talk or wherever.

This idea, if adopted, would help people mix more--people posting in the Symposium or the movie forum or anywhere would have to switch forums to socialize, and then all the social threads would be right there. If you saw that a friend had just posted in a thread you hadn't read before, you could drop in and see what was up. The eventual effect would be to make people comfortable in many different social threads.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 6:36 pm
Not so deep as a well

I looked at that and was slightly bewildered, I admit. But I'm sick and using that as an excuse for any mental lapses. :D

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 6:41 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Maybe we should just make it a universal goal to post in a thread we don't normally go into each day!

But then, here we are preaching to the converted. :P Surely the folk reading this thread are the ones who get out and about anyway. ;)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 6:54 pm
Living in hope

Very true, Leoba--which is why I think the restructuring might be the best approach. It's passive by nature. It would probably require some retraining and some threads being moved (with explanations) by admins, but in the end it might make the board much more homogeneous--most people wouldn't be able to go to just one forum and find everything they wanted there, as many of us used to on the other board.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 7:29 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Well, I have become much more cross-fora than I used to be at TORC, but I have always been a hell of a lurker, so I read more than you think.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 7:44 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I think the answer would be to merge some forums. Let 'Music' and 'Films' and 'Books' join together. They're all about appreciating art, after all. Let 'Invites' and 'Welcome' merge. When you join the board, why not speak up for your friends? And so on and so forth.

I'm sure nobody wants to do that, but I think part of the problem with TORC was that everybody just bookmarked their favorite forums and never even checked the others. I know I did.

I don't want to see this place stagnate. I love meeting all the m00bs and Manweites. :)

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 11:14 pm
Waiting for winter

I’ve been very pleasantly surprised, in my short time here, at the degree to which people have been getting out and meeting posters from other fora. I think you will find, however, that in time the same types of circles that formed on torc (and are already reforming here) will happen despite any efforts to the contrary. It is simply in the nature of some people, personality wise, to want to have a small group of very close friends. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, imo, but it is kind of sad. One of the things that has made b77 interesting is that all of these different people have been thrown into the same boat, and, for the time being at least, there is feeling that we all have to get to know each other in order to survive as a community. How that will change in the future will be the true test of b77's survival, imo.

My suggestion would be to have some sort of community-wide socialization thread, some thing akin to a community barn dance, where everyone is invited to come and meet each other on a regular basis. It would have to be small enough to avoid becoming so unwieldy that people cannot keep up with it - a monthly or even weekly “theme” thread, akin to the monthly m00bie thread we had at torc. And, in order to work, it would have to be advertised and actively encouraged. There are a handful of people here who are both known to all and participate in most of the discussions. These are te people who would have to promote such a thing.

I would hate to see this aspect of b77 fade away. It is one of the things that has made this board so much better than torc, imo. I’m open to any and all suggestions.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 12:16 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

No, no merging of books, music, and films. It would be way too cluttered, especially when we get busier. Most people mingle together in books and music. There don't seem to be any groups in those areas. Of course there is in movies, but I don't see a problem with that.

I like the idea of having some sort of community wide thread though I agree that it could become large and hard to keep up with. I agree that people should get out and try to join more threads, but sometimes it's hard to break in.
tinwe_linto wrote:
I think you will find, however, that in time the same types of circles that formed on torc (and are already reforming here) will happen despite any efforts to the contrary. It is simply in the nature of some people, personality wise, to want to have a small group of very close friends.
I don't think this happens because people want to have a small group of very close friends. I think we're all open to welcoming more people and getting to know everyone. I think this happens because we click with certain people and also have the same interests as other people. Some love talking about serious subjects and some like goofing around. There will always be people dividing up into groups no matter what. The key is to not seclude yourself into that group. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 5:09 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

The key is, as in everything, balance. A board structure that is not too fragmented yet diverse enough so each forum does not become too cluttered.

After that it's on each and every posters personal preferences and yes, I'm all for the idea of posting in a 'hitherto un-posted in' thread, erm... maybe not once a day lol, but three times a week lol.

The idea of a single 'lets meet and make merry' thread... well, nice idea really but I can't quite see that working no matter how hard I try. Perhaps rather seperate threads, one in each main forum, e.g. a 'get to know the library people etc. once the board has been better restructured could work. Discussion on that is going on in Restructuring the boards and I wholeheartedly invite you to come and discuss.

Thanks for starting this thread though Ax... it's worth pondering :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 6:28 pm
Living in hope

Another advantage I see of keeping all the "social" threads in Turf, rather than in the various fora they relate to, is that then things like birthday and post count and birth and wedding (!!!!!) announcement threads will be seen by just about everyone. Threads like those tend to pull everyone in and would be another place for people to mingle. On TORC Movies everything was enclosed in that one forum--I was there for a year before I ever even peeked at Talk, IIRC, and I never felt "at home" there.

So, I agree with the idea of having, not a single thread, but a single forum where everyone congregates. There may be different clusters of conversation, but everyone can see each other and wander from group to group if they like.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Mar , 2005 4:55 pm

Ax wrote:
So I had this idea in my fever-induced delerium last night (another bout of the flu, dammit): once every eight days, the non-business forums shut down and are replaced with one big muckin' thread in one forum, Market Day. Everyone, for one day in eight, posts together, and sees people they might not otherwise, at least not as often.
Those with limited online time could not keep up with such a mega thread.

And the thought of being forced to socialize where it is not my natural inclination to go is abhorrent to me. My natural contrariness would probably cause me to stay offline that day.

Really.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2005 9:17 pm
Triathlete

Erm, some of us aren't the meet and make merry type. We are the read a thread for 10 to 60 minutes (the WHOLE thread), then make a profound and well worded reply. Or at least that's how I fancy myself behaving. I get kinda lost in the quick reparte threads, like the monthly threads. I don't even read them anymore because I feel so left out, I don't know what to say, and since I might not come back for a day or two, it isn't exactly a good thing for me to be part of a fast moving conversation.

Say, could we have a lurkers' thread, with lurkers only? Of course, you would have to sticky it. ;)

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: