Confidentiality of the Board

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 99 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 2:34 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Ethel,

Thanks for the offer! I reorganized the first post so that whole alternative paragraphs show, instead of the little blue alternative phrases. I've asked everyone who wants modifications to put the whole paragraph in their post so that things will be in votable form. In gimli's last post he did that, and I greatly appreciate it.

It's a big help if more people are aware to remind one another to take the extra time and write out the sentence or paragraph the way they want it, rather than throwing out vague ideas that someone else has to compose. People *will* catch on after a couple tries, and naturally start building on what others have already composed instead of trying to reinvent the wheel each time. When one has to write it oneself, one is more likely to look at what was already written. :)

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 3:09 am
Insolent Pup

Quote:
I am extremely annoyed right now at the way these recurring TORC-related problems derail the tasks of the convention and I spoke out of general annoyance (in two places), remembering the very large number of people who were 'defending' B77 on TORC during the bannings by stating our purpose, our policies, our lack of negative attitude toward TORCers, the reason for the invite process etc. All of this was done with good intention and out of motivation to defend the banned, but when we talk about the confidentiality of the forums any of that could be considered a breach of confidentiality. So I am looking at the constitutional convention and saying to myself that by the time we could agree on a definition of confidentiality and who breached it, it would be 2006 and meanwhile the work that would end this problem is not being done.
That's a good set of points. I think I've changed my stance.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 3:13 am
Same as it ever was

I am just posting here, because I do not know where else I should do so, and also since as a relative newcomer I do not want to sound out of line, but I would be very willing to help out here doing whatever tasks would be needed. I thought that one had to be on the committee to do anything towards the constitution, and I thought that one had to be here some certain amount of time to do anything else. Three weeks is bit of extremely short time to be here, but the offer still stands.

One observation, just because I have found it so hard to track down everything going on here, but why are there so many places for discussions about all of this, or is this just an anomoly occurring at the present time? I find it very hard to figure out what if anything I am supposed to be doing as a very willing member to be involved in these discussions. I am just trying to figure out what is even being addressed now, and what is just idle speculation and discussion for future matters.

:neutral: :scratch

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:10 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

The Watcher, the best way to get involved in the constitutional discussion at this point is to follow the Jury Room threads and send any points you have to a member of the committee who, with your permission, will copy and paste them in.

Alternatively, it's probably easiest to put comments directly into this thread.

The discussion has gone all over the place recently. The more focussed we can be on feeding relevant points into the constitutional process the better. :)

And I know that's something I'm bad at doing - as I seem to be running round everywhere but these last few days. So thank heavens for Jny! :love:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 4:56 pm

The Watcher -

People who volunteered to be on the convention committee received an agenda, and we've been following that more or less. There are three convention threads inside the jury room right now. We've finished deciding how to ratify the constitution so that thread is no longer active, and the rules for ratification have been posted in the thread entitled "Document So Far." The active thread right now is the one entitled "Admin Powers"

Inside that thread, the first three posts are 'reserved' and I've been updating them for:
• whatever we're polling on right now (first post)
• the part of the agenda we're working on (second post)
• the things that were confirmed by the membership, either by vote or by consensus, before the convention itself took over this task

The easiest thing to do is just look at them to see what's going on at the moment. The best place to put your own comments is, as Leoba said, here in the Business Forum in Dirt & Wires Convention, last page

I watch the discussion going on in this Forum and incorporate things into the agenda as they are suggested. You can also PM anyone on the committee and give them your ideas.

The committee, btw, was open to anyone who wanted to volunteer and I'm sorry that you missed that process. It took place in the linked thread above. I probably wouldn't like to add more committee members at this time because we have 21 and that's enough to deal with ;) ... but members have been sending me PM's and posting their ideas in the threads and those things have been incorporated into our considerations. So everyone still has a voice ... just, the committee is required to follow this closely and vote in all the votes and such, so the responsibility to choose lies with them. And when they're done, their decisions will be put to a discussion and vote of the membership.

Jn

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 10:59 am
Milk and kisses

1. What expectation of privacy did you hold when you joined the board? Was it your understanding that conversations in the Turf were confidential?

No. I've always thought that anything posted on a messageboard is not confidential, however private the board is. My criteria for confidentiality is: is the information I have is bound to cause hurt to any party if I disseminate it, I don't disseminate it. Or if the person who told me asks me specifically not to divulge it. I try to follow that rule, but of course, sometimes I'm wrong.

2. Is there a difference between cutting and pasting comments from the Turf so that non-members can read them, and simply conveying the gist of a B77 conversation to a non-member?

Yes, there is. However I don't think that one thing is good and the other bad; sometimes it's necessary to provide quotes to bolster an argument, others it's best not to do it.

3. Should there be a formal consequence for breaches of confidentiality that do not have to do with the Invite Forum? If yes, what do you think the consequence should be?

No, I don't think there should be. If the membership is against disseminating information, that rule should be posted clearly, and members, as adults, would have the choice to abide by it or deal with their conscience.

4. How might we enforce confidentiality, or at least convey to all members that it is expected?

Post it clearly in the Information forum, include it in the Charter, and include a Sticky or Announcement in areas that require a more confidential approach (such as Thinking of England and Invites, for example).

5. Should we actively seek to discover who has breached the confidentiality of the board so far?

No. It's a witch hunt and anyway, whoever did it must have thought they were helping matters. I refuse to believe that any of our members is malicious or duplicitous. And I'd rather risk looking naive if I'm wrong, than harsh and judgmental.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 5:09 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Primula_Baggins said in another thread wrote:
The only rule about privacy on this board covers only the Invite forum. We applied it.
I totally agree with that statement and agree that you did the right thing given what you had to work with. Though it is no fault of the jury, I cannot help but feel that recent happenings and discussions may make it easier for some people to feel that it's not a big deal sharing what goes on on this board because there isn't any policy or rule and that there's no consequences.

Is there any possibility that we could work up some sort of statement concerning detrimental information that's passed on? Of course we can't enforce it but at least have it there just in case?

Jn mentioned that the rule that Estel put in the England forum would need to be put to a vote. Should members that cannot see/participate in the England forum be part of that vote since it seems to me the only people who could be affected/harmed are those that post there.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 5:23 am

Eru,

Should members that cannot see/participate in the England forum be part of that vote since it seems to me the only people who could be affected/harmed are those that post there.

That's a dilemma! My instinct is to say that a vote concerning confidentiality in the England forum belongs in the England forum. We did put the votes concerning the Invite process in the Invite forum. I think though that some notice should be placed here in the Business Forum that a vote is happening over there, so that people who don't post in that forum but have an interest in how the board is run will be alerted.

In the case of Invites, everyone looks there, so there wasn't much chance they would miss the vote. But England is not quite the same.

I'll be curious to hear the thoughts of others about this.

Jn

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 6:37 am
His Rosyness

I feel I definitely got the wrong idea about this board, if anything I posted outside of Invites was fair game for being shared with the rest of the world. Why not just go ahead and make the board read-only??

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 6:44 am
Living in hope

Iavas, I'm curious--what do you think would prevent people from sharing what is posted here? Would a rule be enough? If so, how would it be enforced? If it can't be enforced, what else could be done?

These are things we need to consider as we discuss confidentiality.

For the moment, please remember that most people here are decent people and, as a matter of principle, would not share damaging information elsewhere.

The problem, of course, is that anyone who is not principled in that way is also unlikely to pay attention to a rule. :scratch

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 7:13 am

Iavas - I've been telling everyone since the day I got here that when they instituted this exponentially increasing invitation process they effectively opened the board to the public. You simply cannot control the behavior of 150 people with regards to something like gossip.

It's not fair to blame the jury for saying out loud what is patently obvious. People talk! Even if you make a rule and ban a person for breaking it - Elvis has left the building. The info is out. You can't get it back. Anyway, we have no idea who actually shared the negative information with Alys ... that in itself should tell us how useless it is to pretend we have privacy here no matter how many rules we make.

Beyond posting a plea for privacy and honor among posters, what else can we do?

Jn

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 11:47 am

Jnyusa wrote:
That's a dilemma! My instinct is to say that a vote concerning confidentiality in the England forum belongs in the England forum. We did put the votes concerning the Invite process in the Invite forum.
Though it was very informal, we had a lengthy discussion in England regarding what we could/could not do there and the rules that Estel posted were unaminously agreed to by those who participated in that discussion - which was practically everybody who posts in England, iirc.

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 12:43 pm

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Why not just go ahead and make the board read-only??
I'd vote for that.

Having this board private was a good thing back when it was just a discussion board, and then still when it was a few members who wanted to talk as if in a big IM conversation. But now that there's so many more people, it's not (at least to me) a private place where you can post personal information and not worry about strangers seeing it.

I don't personally have much problem with doing that anyway, but many posters here are strangers to me, and so b77 is never going to be that small private friends only place. Ever.

Not that that's a bad thing, of course not! I love getting to know new people, but I cannot see how this place can be truly confidential if you're posting with strangers. Just because someone I know on here knows another poster doesn't mean they're not a stranger.

Having B77 private - but then still allowing new members to post - seems unbelievably cliquey to me, and I really do think it's causing far more harm than good. (This is aside to the fact that I think it's stupid anyway, and that I really hate the idea that I'm actively part of place that picks and chooses its members, and has the right to say no to someone it don't deem "fit" to be a part of [it?].)

Many people not on B77 still have the idea that this is a bitchy place out to get TORC and it's members (or whatever other ideas might be floating around) - and having a letter written by the members of this board "verifying" that those rumours are untrue is going to make no difference.

For all they know, we could be sitting around chatting about how the admins on TORC are all bastards, and that Jon's wife is an ugly slag (just an example!), but we would still be able to say "No one on TORC is being talked about behind their backs, and this is just a safe friendly place for friends to talk to each other".

As I realised even clearer last weekend, there are DEFINITELY people who do not believe these statements that we are handing out claiming that nothing bitchy is going on here, and that is never going to change unless "outsiders" can see what's going on here.

If we had B77 as read only, everyone would still only be posting with these select few, but there wouldn't be any way for people not invited to come in and flame. Sure, your info such as addresses etc wouldn't be completely private - but that's what's email/IM/PM is for - right? If we were a read-only board, there wouldn't be any gossip about what we really are, because everyone would be able to see for themselves.

Sure, it could be an awful idea with hideous consequences that could make people not on this board dislike us, spread rumours, flame us, it could lose us friends... But wait! That's already happened!

No harm in trying something out, eh?

(Apologies if this is posted in the totally wrong place, but bugger me if I know where to post anymore [Plus I've completely forgotten what thread I'm even posting in :roll:]. I've been away too long... anyone can feel free to move this along if needed :). Just wanted to say my piece.)

EDIT: Also, if the place was read only then whoever has been cut'n'pasting bits of this board to others would have nothing to go on anymore, because whoever wanted to read it would be able to read EVERYTHING and not just select little comments that have been carefully chosen to make us look bad.

"Oats For World Peace!"

Pics from Madagascar: One, Two, Three..., Four!

Profile Quote
Andri
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 1:24 pm

1. What expectation of privacy did you hold when you joined the board? Was it your understanding that conversations in the Turf were confidential?

Yes. I arrived here with the understanding that this is a closed board and so what is said here stays here. However, I never expected 100% confidentiality - this is impossible IMO. People talk - from innocent chatting to malicious gossip - and information just flies everywhere. If there is anything that I don't want many people to know then I don't post it. And I never say anything about anyone that I wouldn't tell to their faces.

2. Is there a difference between cutting and pasting comments from the Turf so that non-members can read them, and simply conveying the gist of a B77 conversation to a non-member?

Yes, there is. Cutting and pasting comments is evidence, the other is just the poster's opinion or understanding of the conversation.

3. Should there be a formal consequence for breaches of confidentiality that do not have to do with the Invite Forum? If yes, what do you think the consequence should be?
No. There is no specific rule that forbits breaches of confidentiality or defines the form that these may take. Therefore, we cannot impose consequences to anyone.

4. How might we enforce confidentiality, or at least convey to all members that it is expected?
Berhael wrote:
Post it clearly in the Information forum, include it in the Charter, and include a Sticky or Announcement in areas that require a more confidential approach (such as Thinking of England and Invites, for example).
I agree.

5. Should we actively seek to discover who has breached the confidentiality of the board so far?

No. It's a witch-hunt and it will bring more bad than good. Maybe this was done in good faith and will not be repeated. Let's leave this matter and see how we proceed from here.
Satch wrote:
If we had B77 as read only, everyone would still only be posting with these select few, but there wouldn't be any way for people not invited to come in and flame. Sure, your info such as addresses etc wouldn't be completely private - but that's what's email/IM/PM is for - right? If we were a read-only board, there wouldn't be any gossip about what we really are, because everyone would be able to see for themselves.
I don't see this as a working solution.
Why do we feel the need to prove to TPTB on TORC that we are not bitching about them?
Why do we need to be apologetic for this board?
I don't get it.

If someone wants to create trouble they will find a way to create trouble. If we open up the board and the trouble makers come here and start to flame things up, then we can answer back.
If it's a read-only board, then those who seek trouble would come and then leave, taking quotations with them that they may use out of context in another board (TORC) thus creating trouble there. Posting on TORC in order to defend B77 will start the bannings again.:roll:

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 1:55 pm

We don't need to be apologetic but it would just be SO much easier. What do we lose if this place becomes read-only? Nothing except the possibility to be frank about things when we wouldn't be in public. But face it- it's like satch said, this is not a small place anymore and there ARE strangers here. And I think that if we're okay with saying something to over a hundred people, many of which we don't really know at all, then we should be okay saying the same thing to the world.

Unless the true reason people are against this board being open for reading is that there are specific people they want out. This isn't quite right...why are we bothered that X will see what we said and not bothered that people we don't know will see it too? Because we know it will hurt X. But then, if we don't want to hurt X, can't we just keep that stuff to ourselves? And if we are so bothered, then why do we put it on a messageboard in the first place? I think we must learn to keep certain things private for ourselves...by our own choice, for our own good. Just because b77 is all about openness and honesty doesn't mean I'll go tell all my friends every detail of what I think about them and everyone they associate with...know what I mean...if we're worried about something we say here being seen by other people, then we should not say it here.

What you say about people taking things to TORC out of context- well, we have two TORC mods here right now. Granted they can't be expected to defend us but if the board is visible for all to read, that makes it easier for them to speak out against shit-stirrers at TORC, doesn't it? If the board is open for all to read no one can say 'well I can't see what they wrote so I have to trust poster X on the info he has.' And if someone tries to make b77 look bad on TORC, a mod is well in his right to step in and warn them for it...he doesn't have to worry about being privy to stuff that's on a closed board anymore. It just becomes less awkward...know what I mean? Like for any other board I think..

Yes. Obviously it's okay to quote a joke or something like that but I knew a lot of people expressed their thoughts only because they knew the board was closed. Whether it was written down as a rule or not I felt they trusted me with this information, otherwise, why would the board be closed?

Yes, there is. When my friend was being voted on and the results were negative, I tried to convey to him why people didn't feel they could trust him, so that he could address these problems. However I did not and would never give names or details that could make it possible for the friend to guess who precisely was against his joining. Rather I tried to phrase these problems not as problems of people on b77, but issues that he could work on himself. I never said 'A certain person said that he things you're deceitful ' but 'Some people feel that you don't always tell the truth.' And I didn't say anything unless I thought it was a valid issue and that it could help my friend overcome his flaws. If I didn't agree with an opinion posted on b77 I didn't say anything about it- this was so that I could always put part of my own thoughts into it, instead of having to escape by saying 'it wasn't me who said it'.

Those would always be individual cases, I think. There needs to be as much respect for people's trust as self-control in what we say out loud here.

Again this must be worked on from both sides. Let's not be too candid about what we say around here. If we know something we say might cause problems, let's think twice.
It should be suggested very strongly that members of b77 should talk to each other first. It's very easy to pass on information and then back out to watch the person from b77 and the one outside fight. I think that anyone who feels they need to pass on information should be willing to sort of 'mediate' between the two people, take responsibility for passing the info on. I assume most people who feel the need to do that want to help, not stir up hatred. If they want to help they would want to make sure that there are as little misunderstandings between the two sides as possible...

5. Should we actively seek to discover who has breached the confidentiality of the board so far?No. I don't think it was ever done in malice, and even if, there is no point in witch hunts.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 3:15 pm

Andri wrote:
Why do we feel the need to prove to TPTB on TORC that we are not bitching about them?
Why do we need to be apologetic for this board?
We don't need to prove anything to them or be apologetic (unless you feel like you need to apologise of course ;)), but people on here have got angry at what people on TORC have said due to misunderstandings, or other people's shit-stirring. If the board was read-only, that wouldn't happen because people could see for themselves.
Quote:
those who seek trouble would come and then leave, taking quotations with them that they may use out of context in another board (TORC) thus creating trouble there
If someone quotes us there, and we say it's not true - then people who read it would have the option of seeing for themselves who is correct. People are already quoting this board, so at least that'd stop misunderstandings. Anyway, you're not allowed to slag off other boards on TORC, and if someone posts a whole load of crap about here on there then that's breaking some kinda rule. I think... :roll:

I'm only bringing this up as an option because I hate this being a closed board. No, wait... that's a lie. I don't mind it being a closed board, but I hate it being a closed board with Invites.

If some people don't like it when people misunderstand "our point" or whatever on TORC, then what's wrong with showing that we're right, if we have a problem with what's being said? And if we have nothing to apologise for, then there's no harm in showing.

"Oats For World Peace!"

Pics from Madagascar: One, Two, Three..., Four!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 4:41 pm

Yov: ... we had a lengthy discussion in England regarding what we could/could not do there

Yov, last night I read through the England forum for the first time because it was obvious that the jury decision provoked some concern about that forum in particular.

I noticed that in coming up with 'the rules' there was some discussion about how this would affect people who post from work. And I saw two threads at least, whose titles arguably violated rule #4. I am not personally offended by sexual material or nudity (your pic is still showing in one of your posts, btw), but I can tell you right now just from what I read there last night that I could lose my job if I gave this web address to my students. That's less a matter of being inappropriate to a work-place than it is a matter of being inappropriate to the professor-student relationship ... but ... I wouldn't give this address to any of my colleagues either. (When the board opens.) What happens in England does affect the way other people would view me, so I need to be aware of what goes on over there whether I want to participate or not.

Estel suggested that the convention deal with rules of privacy for England, and I think that the convention generally has to deal with rules for England because it is a sensitive subject that affects everyone on the board.

Jn

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 6:10 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
but people on here have got angry at what people on TORC have said due to misunderstandings, or other people's shit-stirring. If the board was read-only, that wouldn't happen because people could see for themselves.
Won't work cause they will also read the (justified but sometimes not) negative comments that posters here have made. Kinda hard for poster X to see when a good point has been made if in the same thread a few posts down folks are calling poster X or poster X's friends and/or colleagues shitheads.

Last edited by oldtoby on Sat 26 Mar , 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 6:16 pm

That's why I think we should have more self-discipline, and stop excusing ourselves with emotions. That's not easier than keeping the board closed and secret but it's much better.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 6:57 pm
His Rosyness

I know that confidentiality could not be easily enforced. I'm just wondering why, if we are supposed to treat everything we say as having the potential to be read by outsiders, the board isn't read-only already?

It's like you're protecting it in one way, but on the other hand saying there's no point protecting it.

I joined a closed board that noone else could read. Therefore I assumed I could say things that would not be read outside of the board. Part of the allure of the board was that you didn't have to self-discipline yourself as much.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 99 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: