49% [ 21 ]
Truehobbit

12% [ 5 ]
Total votes: 43
Leoba
Post subject: Admin Rotation: replacement for Griff poll 22 Mar - 1 Apr
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:28 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Griff's term of service as admin is drawing to a close and we need to pick a new admin from the pool of volunteers. They are:

Areanor
Farawen
Holbytla
Laureanna
Nin
Primula_Baggins
Truehobbit

The person selected will be admin from the beginnging of April through to the end of June. Please vote as you see fit. :)

Each volunteer has kindly provided some information about themselves, to help the membership chose who might be best to take on the role at this point in time. I should add that in an ideal situation, we could use someone who can be around somewhere in the 11pm-8am GMT time-slot.

If Holby and Areanor would PM me, with at least the times they're usually online, I'd appreciate it.

Admin Volunteer Descriptions (in reverse alphabetical order!)

truehobbit wrote:
About me: I'm German, 37 years old, and my timezone is GMT+1 - I'm usually online off and on from the afternoon to late in the night/wee small hours, depending on whether I have to work the next day (free-lance teacher, very irregular hours). I can't go online from work, but I'm basically out of a job right now anyway. So, online times in GMT would be roughly: 2pm to 2am. Also at weekends, because I have no life.

My only other messageboard experience is TORC, but I'm not computer-illiterate (though not an expert either). I have been a member here from the start, and have got quite involved with the structural processes of this board, which I find fascinating.

I like to work thoroughly and am able to concentrate on getting the boring details right. When it comes to bigger things, I may have big ideas, but I'm not very good at realising them, so I don't normally engage in organising big visions, but rather do some polishing and helping with specific problems.
Primula_Baggins wrote:
I've been participating in online communities for more than twenty years (Usenet and dial-up BBs back then, of course). That probably gives me some perspective that could be valuable--I have seen an awful lot of things happen and a wide range of community reactions to problems. And of course I have made a wide range of mistakes myself. :roll: Really wide.

I work at home, at my computer, and habitually pop on and off B77 throughout the day (I have a broadband "always-on" connection). I'm at GMT -8, so that 11 PM to 6 AM GMT period is my afternoon and evening. RL is busiest for me then, pulling me actually away from the computer, but I still usually look in around 7 PM (3 AM GMT) and again before I go to bed four hours later or so.

I also don't go out much on weekends as a rule (dammit!), so I'm often in and out most of the weekend.

I'm a decisive person, but I try to be careful. I think I can be fair and calm. I often find myself pleading with people to calm down and not be hasty. I don't escalate situations. I look for middle ground. I don't have a lot of pride--if someone says something bad about me and it's false, I don't care; if it's true, well, I try to deal with it. My temper online is not quick. (RL is different, alas. . . .)
Nin wrote:
About me: I live in GMT +1. I am online daily, for more time than is good for me, mostly in the evening, and not always available on week-ends. Besides English, I speak German and French.

I am 35 years old and a member of this board from the start. I volunteer to be admin, because I greatly care for the community, but it might be preferable to have in the present situation an admin from US time-zone. I would also be volunteer another time, if not chosen now. I think of myself as being rather cool-headed, and I feel deeply implicated in the construction and success of this board. However, I'm not always good with computers.
Laureanna wrote:
I am available usually at odd moments here and there. I can get the admin work done, such as responding to PMs and splitting threads. I’m not on the board at work, as some people are, except at lunch time. I am most likely to be on the boards when it is quietest - 7 to 9 PM my time. I'm at GMT minus 9 hrs, so I guess that would be 1 to 3 AM GMT, or 11 PM to 1 AM eastern std time, which is why it is so quiet.

What words most define me?

Engineer. I live to make the world around me better. It is my passion to organize, think of solutions, ponder conundrums, and offer advice. I am both extremely practical and a thinker-outside-the-box. New subjects and new toys fascinate me, which is why I have been to the B77Experiment board to try out all the bells and whistles.

Compassionate. My journey through faith has included both intense Roman Catholicism and bouts of atheism, but I have never lost what for me is the central message of Christianity. “Love thy neighbor. And by the way, thy neighbor is everyone.” So I try to understand others and feel how they feel. Then I act on that compassion to the best of my ability (which goes right back to being an engineer).

Accepting. Despite my desire to fix everything, there are some things I cannot fix. At least, not right now. I’ve learned through the years to accept and love people the way they are, with all of their personality shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, including myself. That means, of course, squelching my desire to engineer things and people that don’t want to be engineered.
Farawen wrote:
I'm 26, an INTJ, and a Virgo but close to being born a Leo (and I've been told it shows *shrug*). I highly value discussion, openness, constructive criticism, and fairness, and I usually don't react well to people who say one thing but think another. When it comes to organizing I like doing all the background stuff, and I rejoice in things running smoothly knowing everybody has done their job, but I'm not really a born spokesperson for a group of people.

I tend to say what I think and thus may sometimes come across as a bit blunt, but I'm really more of a :love: person than a :rage: person. :D

B77 means a lot to me because I've lost my (former) home on the 'net right around the time it came into being, and because I deeply care about the people on here. I may be a bit too protective of this board at times, but I usually notice it before it goes over the top.

My timezone is GMT+1; I live in Germany and am a non-native speaker.
Areanor wrote:
I'm German, 36 years old and my timezone is GMT+1. I have two kids, four years and one year old, and a job in the mornings at a bank, so I usually don't come online during the day. You can expect me to be around from 1 AM up to 6 AM my time - same on weekends, sometimes a bit earlier.

I'm not a computer geek, but I know how to use the programmes that are provided for me. And I know where to go for help to and when I should go there.

Here I've been a member from the start and have done some excursions to the experimental board. I tend to read more than to post and I can say I only gave up reading every post on B77 at the end of February. (Though I still try to keep up with nearly all of them)

I'm good at boring detailed work and tend to stay calm also in busy times. I can be blunt sometimes, but usually I try to talk to people in a diplomatic way, not wanting to hurt feelings.

This is my favourite smiley: :D

Last edited by Leoba on Fri 08 Apr , 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 27 Mar , 2005 4:07 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Sorry I haven't got around to this whole thing until now, but I was basically gone for a week.
I was asked to volunteer my services, and I am willing to help out with this board. I am not however really willing to "run" against other people.
If you need help fine, but I really do not want to be part of a campaign.
To be honest, I am not really comfortable with this process. I don't have a better solution, so I am afraid I cannot offer any alternatives.
My offer of help still stands, but I really do not want to be part of the current process.
Thanks. :)

[ img ]

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 5:42 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Just a reminder that today is the last day to vote. Get in here and do so if you haven't all ready. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 10:01 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

The poll finished at midnight yesterday - 1st April.

Prim is the clear winner with 21 votes.

Locking this.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: