The Last Homely Site on the Web

Deletions??

Locked   Page 2 of 2  [ 37 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 2:56 pm
Living in hope

I think a lot of people were just having fun with the fact that Griffy's post count dropped back below 1000 in the middle of her 1000-post celebration thread. :D

I look at post count rather ironically, and I imagine that's true of most people. A thousand of my posts are not the same as, say, a thousand of Jnyusa's. We all are what we are!

[ img ]

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 3:08 pm
Milk and kisses

The same thing happened to me during my 1000th post thread. My postcount dropped drastically when the old petition stuff was deleted, and I reached 1000 three times in a week, I think. It was funny. :LMAO:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 3:13 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

:roll: :roll: :roll: AHHHHH -- STOP YOUR BELLY-ACHING, YOU SAD PATHETIC WOSEY (sp?) EXCUSES OF POSTERS -- THE ADMINS ARE DOING THEIR RIGHTFUL DUTY OF WEEDING OUT THE WORTHLESS DRIVEL THAT YOU SPAMMERS HAVE DEEMED THIS SAD PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A MESSAGEBOARD SO RICHLY DESERVES!!! YOU ACTUALLY EXPECT THAT YOUR DETRITUS WOULD BE ALLOWED TO POLLUTE THIS BOARD IN PERPETUITY!?!?!? SAD . . . SAD AND PATHETIC!!!

NOW, IF ONLY YOU CONDUCTED YOURSELF AS I, THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TORN, DO, YOU WOULD FIND THAT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOUR PRECIOUS POSTS WOULD LIVE ON INTO ETERNITY, UNTOUCHED BY THE SANITATION ENGINEERS OF THIS SAD PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A MESSAGEBOARD, AN ETERNAL SHINING BEACON FOR ALL WHO COME HEREAFTER. AS THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE CAREFULLY STUDIED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF MY 976 POSTS ON THIS SAD PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A MESSAGEBOARD WILL NOTE, THE ADMINS HAVE DARED DELETE NARY A ONE!!!

SIGNED,

THE RESIDENT MISERABLE POLTROO

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 3:19 pm
Milk and kisses

*deletes*

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 10:48 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I do try to keep up with that thread, but I honestly can't remember Leoba ever mentioning she was going to do that...and it also suprised me because I had proposed doing what she did earlier, but Din and Ber didn't think we should. I had thought policy on that was settled...that we'd only delete if the person became an admin...and was taken aback that one person decided to go ahead with something different.

I can understand people's frustrations now that I'm on the other side of things. Admins do need to make it obvious when they're going to do something so people don't get caught off guard and have more of a chance to voice any concerns.

About post count, yeah I care about it somewhat because it reflects on my contributions or activity on this board. But in general, I just don't tend to like my contributions being deleted. If I knew they were going to be deleted, I wouldn't bother in the first place. Save myself some time and effort! :D

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 10:57 pm
Living in hope

Well, they were invite threads, and all our contributions had served their purpose. It's not as if a serious discussion thread was deleted--I know a lot of my posts in those threads were along the lines of "Voted" and "Sounds good to me" and "I can't believe you are seriously proposing letting this utter dweeb loose on our--"

Oh wait. No. I never said that. :halo:

[ img ]

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 11:02 pm

Primula_Baggins wrote:
all our contributions had served their purpose. It's not as if a serious discussion thread was deleted
That arguement doesn't work for me. If that's going to be the case, why don't we start deleting any thread that's a month old?...especially the chatty ones since 1.) the contributions have served their purpose and 2.) it wasn't a serious discussion anyway.

I'm not looking to argue about this but just wanted explain my feelings about it.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 11:07 pm
Living in hope

Well, there's the added factor that people aren't supposed to see their invite threads, and soon many invited people will be cycling through admin positions. Either someone (a constantly changing someone) has to keep track of deleting each person's thread before they become admin, or the threads just need to go.

I honestly don't see what purpose they serve, since they're confidential and stored out of reach--whereas an older discussion thread can and often does get raked up and restarted, and certainly many people enjoy reading good older threads.

[ img ]

TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 3:41 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Primmy wrote:
I know a lot of my posts in those threads were along the lines of . . . "I can't believe you are seriously proposing letting this utter dweeb loose on our--"
:x :x :x

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 3:44 am
Living in hope

:halo:

Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 4:54 am
Garrulous Griffon

I tend to agree with Prim here. I simply love reading through some older chatty threads, laughing at the banter and wit again, and shaking my head in wonder at how much wittier I was BACK THEN ... ;)

I remember being slightly sad with the previous clean-up we did, that a lot of intense discussion went missing. But I got over it :D

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 7:15 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Eruname. The threads were to all intents and purposes deleted anyway. Plus they were confidential, as Prim points out. There was no need to keep them and indeed, potentially more harm by doing so.

Quote edited in, 01/04/05
Eruname wrote:
That arguement doesn't work for me. If that's going to be the case, why don't we start deleting any thread that's a month old?...especially the chatty ones since 1.) the contributions have served their purpose and 2.) it wasn't a serious discussion anyway.
I would never delete chat threads or indeed any other sort of thread without express permission of the thread originator, and even then I'd not move them beyond 'deleted storage'.

You know, I could see the value of postcount on a big board where it could take 1000 posts to have your name noticed, but here where so far every name has been individually considered and most people are already known, I can't see what good it does, except give us an excuse for a party now and again. Maybe we just should all have our postcounts invisible, or zero them on a monthly basis. =:)

Last edited by Leoba on Fri 01 Apr , 2005 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 7:29 am
Garrulous Griffon

Leoba - :LMAO:

Only way to zero post counts HERE is to delete all threads :D

I wonder if one could set the post count invisible? Should check that ... =:)

Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 7:33 am
Tricksy Elf!

Eruname wrote:
I do try to keep up with that thread, but I honestly can't remember Leoba ever mentioning she was going to do that...and it also suprised me because I had proposed doing what she did earlier, but Din and Ber didn't think we should. I had thought policy on that was settled...that we'd only delete if the person became an admin...and was taken aback that one person decided to go ahead with something different.
WTF???????

I have never said not to delete invite old threads, infact I seem to remember saying that they should be deleted as soon as they are invited in as its an old argument and irrelevent.

Just for the record, just so no misquoting of my views takes place here :rage:

Also remember this as a done deal as well, that they were going to be deleted eventaully as they serve no purpose except to take up space etc.

Sorry, had to say that. There is a massive difference between a chat thread or discussion thread, and a dissussion of an individual who may become a member of this board. Keeping that around is like leaving a loaded shotgun in a draw. Sombody is going to find it and pull the trigger and what then?

Besides, this does not appear to be an issue about missing disscussion but post count, :Q ....I was hopeing we had left all that behind too....ah well.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 7:34 am
Living in hope

Griffy, you're no fun! :D

Post counts are silly. But they're fun silly. It's terribly easy in this friendly environment to rack them up, especially if you have spammish tendencies :oops: . But we all know what (=how little) they mean.

Except your thousand, of course, which was one of the great achievements of modern civilization.

Twice.

[ img ]

Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 7:51 am
Garrulous Griffon

*preens*

Primster, YOU are lots of fun! :hug:

Of course, I kid about the post count. They're fun to watch, but I left behind my post count obsession when I stepped into my Marinership :D on TORC ... here I just go with the flow kind of thing, and am occasionally amazed by how much spa ... spiffy posts I've made! :D

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 6:46 pm

Eruname wrote:
I'm not looking to argue about this but just wanted explain my feelings about it.
I thought that I needed to point this out again since aparently people missed what I said.
Leoba wrote:
I would never delete chat threads or indeed any other sort of thread without express permission of the thread originator, and even then I'd not move them beyond 'deleted storage'.
Just where precisely did I accuse you of trying to do so? :scratch

Din: I wish I could see Deleted Threads storage so I could look back on the converstation we had. You didn't need to be so rude about what I remembered. Maybe an admin could be so kind as to send me what was said in the sticky thread in that forum? I believe Din was the thread originator?
Din wrote:
Besides, this does not appear to be an issue about missing disscussion but post count, ....I was hopeing we had left all that behind too....ah well.
I'm not trying to make it about post count. See the quote of my own I have pointed out. It's being made an issue by folks like you who pounce on my mere mention of it. Also, just because you see no purpose and value in it doesn't mean it's wrong, immature, or stupid of someone else to do so. I know you didn't use those words, but what you wrote and how you used the :Q smiley totally gives me that feeling and I don't appreciate it.

I so wish I had the power to lock my own thread because this one is pissing me off and would rather it just stop. The question has been answered and it's purpose has been served. Hopefully this has also brought to light that admins need to make it more obvious when they're going to do something to prevent these possible misunderstandings.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 2 of 2  [ 37 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: