board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should revealing info be a bannable offense

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 57 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Should revealing or threatening to reveal information posted on Board77 outside the board be punished by banning?
Yes.

13% [ 5 ]
No.

88% [ 35 ]
Total votes: 40
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 2:24 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Isn't that a bannable offence? :scratch

:P

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 2:55 pm
Not so deep as a well

Can I cut and paste your copyright notice? :D

Actually I'm adding a line...

and how did you change the font size? :scratch

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:10 pm
Living in hope

Copyright notices actually are not needed.

You don't have to claim copyright to own it--it's automatically yours on anything you create, except in cases where you've specifically signed it away, such as work for hire or work created for your employer.

Professional editors have mentioned seeing a copyright notice on an ms. as one of the little things indicating the writer is not a pro.

I guess it does remind people if you have a notice in your sig, but it's only going to deter honest people.

And I'm going to copy Ax's posts from here on out. I'll just move them to different fora so it isn't obvious. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:15 pm
Not so deep as a well

Prim--

You are correct regarding the editors and notice thing. But it looks fun here. :D

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:20 pm
Milk and kisses

Prim, that's very interesting. I think this merits its own thread, and I'll probably open one (I wonder where, though - probably There And Back since it concerns writers), but I'll mention this here too. I was told by Alys in Glasgow that TORC owns the copyright of threads posted there, specifically role-playing stories, and therefore, if we wanted to move a RP story here, we would be breaking copyright. I was pretty :Q at this and told her I believed copyright of posts made in the internet to belong to the person who posts them, but she insisted that that was not the case.

I know enough of copyright law to be aware of its endless complexities and loops, so I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to believe that she's wrong.

I'll post a link to the dedicated thread as soon as I start it, so that all discussion regarding copyright can go in there.

EDIT - here it is: http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... rd77#51703

Last edited by Berhael on Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:27 pm
Triathlete

Ber - this is on the front page of the Reading Room:

COPYRIGHT 1999-2004 - Tolkien Online - The One Ring
Reproduction of material from any Tolkien Online - The One Ring pages without written permission is strictly prohibited. The views represented on Tolkien Online - The One Ring are those of the Author(s) alone and do not necessarily reflect those of this publication. Certain materials relating to the media covered within this online publication may be the copyright property of their respective studios / production companies / publishing companies.
Certain design elements of this webpage are copyright John Howe and used with permission. The orignal artwork can be foundhere.

Is is legal to reproduce a copyright notice???

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:32 pm
Milk and kisses

Thanks, laureanna, but I suspect that that only applies if someone copies written material from someone else; the author of a thread *should* surely be entitled to copy his own material, right?

Anyway, I've started a thread on copyright in There & Back Again, so anyone wishing to contribute please do it there, so as not to derail this thread:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... rd77#51703

Thanks! :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:37 pm

Umm, I assumed that Maria (and Ax, and myself) were joking about the copyright thing. Was I wrong?

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:39 pm
Milk and kisses

I know you're joking, but it reminded me of that conversation, and I wanted to discuss its more serious implications with everyone (in case there are serious implications). :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 4:34 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
Reproduction of material from any Tolkien Online - The One Ring pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
The folk from Frodo's kitchen were puzzling over this some time ago, when we thought of collecting our thoughts to make some kind of book on hobbit-lore. We never came to a conclusion, I think, but, like Ber, I'm of the opinion that your own contributions must still belong to you, anything else would be wildly unfair. But, then, copyright laws often are. :scratch
Don't we have some lawyers around here? ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 5:37 pm

*Shrugs*

TORC still says copyright 1999-2004 anyway. So even if it was against these little laws to take your own words from it (although it says copyright to the author? You wrote it - you're the author.) it is now 2005 so in theory anyone can take anything they please ;).

Or something like that.

...Anyway...

"Oats For World Peace!"

Pics from Madagascar: One, Two, Three..., Four!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 6:33 pm

Ax,
Change font size with these thingies. [ /size] Edit: without the spaces, I mean!

It'll go smaller if you drop the number smaller.

I was kinda half serious about the copyright thing. It would serve as a warning from those who DONT want their posts copied. I don't mind if people copy mine, though, so I'm not putting up a notice.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 8:24 pm

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
I myself (as Ethel threatens to do) have shared information with Jonathan no less. But as I mentioned in another thread, no names were given. I never attributed a poster's name against a specific point.

In fact, I wouldn't have too much of a problem of copying/pasting a post or even a thread so long as the posters names are deleted, and that the posts are such that the poster's name cannot be inferred from it.
This is perhaps the most upsetting thing that I have seen on board77. I have no issue whatsoever with anyone quoting or accurately paraphrasing something that I say on this board, as long as the words or thoughts are clearly attributed to me. I have a very, very big problem with someone sharing my words or thoughts with someone else without them being attributed to me. I consider it to be stealing in the worst sense of the word; It upsets me to think that this may have happened, much more then if something that had merely monetary value had been stolen. My thoughts (and feelings) are what make me who I am, much more then material things. Please, lidless, and everyone else, do not ever, ever do this again. :(

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 8:30 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Voronwë - I have never shared anything you have said, seeing the little exchange we have had, but I will remember that.

Yes, I am stalking

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 1:03 am
Insolent Pup

Mariahobbit wrote:
I was kinda half serious about the copyright thing. It would serve as a warning from those who DONT want their posts copied. I don't mind if people copy mine, though, so I'm not putting up a notice.
I just want to point out that I am blatantly breaking the rules. I definitely have not asked MH if I could take this portion of her post and respond to it. How do you like dem apples? :P

Copyright © 2005 by [TheEllipticalDisillusion]. All rights reserved. No portion of this post may be copied in whole or in part without permission of the author.

Last edited by TheEllipticalDisillusion on Tue 05 Apr , 2005 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 1:06 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

It would be funnier if you hadn't messed up the quote tags. :P

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 1:12 am
Insolent Pup

I have no idea what you're talking about Pippin. :P

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 57 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: