board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should revealing info be a bannable offense

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 57 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Should revealing or threatening to reveal information posted on Board77 outside the board be punished by banning?
Yes.

13% [ 5 ]
No.

88% [ 35 ]
Total votes: 40
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 10:51 pm
Triathlete

Several random answers to this poll, all of them "no, because ...":

1. No, don't ban the person from access to read or write in the boards. If someone is threatening to do lots of harm via his activities on the message board, an admin simply needs to go in and switch the threatener's preferred language to Korean. It will take him a week to figure out how to switch it back, and by then, he'll have cooled off.;)

2. No, don't ban the person from access to looking at our dirty laundry. Exactly how much harm can a person do on a message board, or with the contents of a message board, anyway? Nothing on the Internet is watertight. If you have posted something ugly here that you would not say to the person's face, and cannot allow to be said to that person's face at all cost (even the cost of friendship with another person) perhaps it shouldn't be posted here in the first place. A community that adheres to the Golden Rule shouldn't need to be hidden from view.

3. No, don't ban the person from your community. You don't cut a friend off from your community because he isn't perfect, and has moments of anger, or vengefulness, or protectiveness, or smallness, or stupidity, or craziness, or divided loyalties, or drunkenness, or some other reason you probably don't know about. If you did, you'd quickly end up with a very small community - a community of yourself only. All people do things we disagree with. That's what makes life more interesting.

4. No, don't ban the person from his community. It's really traumatic. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Well, one person, but she's not in this community.... yet, and I admit it would just be for the revenge aspect.

5. No, don't ban a person for an offense that does not match the magnitude of the punishment. Saying something to 200 people in a whisper, then insisting that it is "confidential", then expecting no one to even paraphrase what you have said is unreasonable.

6. No, don't stone a person if you live in a glass house. I've said things to others about what I've read here, everything from public stuff (the Pope dying) to more personal stuff (I told TheDaimonLucifer that he had been put up for vote twice, and not received a majority of approval, based upon some of his actions many months ago in TORC. I did not name names.)

7. No, don't punish someone for actions not yet taken. That's not how a democracy works. If you have secrets here that cannot be protected, get rid of them. Don't get rid of all people who drink, get angry, get hurt, or get crazy, on the off chance they might do something, or even threaten to do something, in the future. Again, you'd have a really small community by the time you were done.

8. And for all of you who are holier-than-thou about not banning people for threatening to disrupt the board, I might point out that we have already "pre-banned" quite a few people - by voting their invitation down - on the chance that they might disrupt the board if they were allowed in. By being a closed board, we are in the business of banning some now, and banning others later. Do we want that?

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 11:06 pm
Living in hope

Laureanna, re number 8--no, many of us do not want that. "Holier-than-thou" is, I think, unkind. To oppose banning someone for threatening to disrupt the board has nothing to do with whether or not the board should be open, and you can't assume someone's view on one point based on their view on the other.

Otherwise, I agree with all your points.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 11:10 pm

Soooooooo, everyone says no. Is there actually something we're arguing about here?

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 11:32 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Quote:
If someone is threatening to do lots of harm via his activities on the message board, an admin simply needs to go in and switch the threatener's preferred language to Korean. It will take him a week to figure out how to switch it back, and by then, he'll have cooled off
I quite like this one.

:)

:wave: hi, laureanna!

Profile Quote
Athrabeth
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 11:52 pm
Nameless

I, too, have to vote "no" to the posed question.

..........and laureanna's post said much of what I have been thinking today. :)

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 12:16 am
Waiting for winter

I voted no. I agree with Vison, Cerin, Ethel, Prim, Ber, Nin, Pips, Lidless, Anthy, Holby, Sass,
laureanna and ‘Beth. I just the love the warm fuzzy feelings here!

Profile Quote
Northerner
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 12:33 am
Queen of the Tundra

I voted no, and think that the sooner this board opens up, the better. But that's another poll. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 12:52 am
Try to stay perky

No...for my reasoning, see Laureanna's post (except for 4 - but I sympathise!)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 1:03 am
His Rosyness

No to banning, but yes to some sort of effort being made to discourage it. Not that it really matters now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 1:52 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

This whole thing is, I'm sorry to say, just plain stupid. Stop trying to draw fine lines between what is acceptable and what is not, as they will virtually always be a matter of facts and circumstances and viewed differently through the 180-or-so sets of eyes that currently have privileges to view this board. My view is that sharing information here, in whatever form, should NOT result in a ban; my second choice is very clearly enunciated statement of which specific forum's posts would subject someone to a ban, and what exact actions by a poster with respect to that forum whould result in a ban; my third choice is to have a general prescriptive requirement (i.e., that one shall not pass along information to someone outside this Board with an intent to cause harm to any B77 member or non-member) that could form the basis for a complaint, followed by a short hearing, then followed by a vote of the entire Board membership with a supermajority (2/3 or 3/4 of all voting) required to give someone the boot.

But really, this is all really tiring. . .

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 1:52 am

Iavas_Saar wrote:
No to banning, but yes to some sort of effort being made to discourage it.
Such as?
Quote:
Not that it really matters now.
Why not?

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 2:28 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

yovargas wrote:
Why not?
Maybe because things have already been leaked? Dunno...that's just my perception. It's already not really a private board and we're working to get it open so really all this talk about what's private seems like a gigantic waste of people's time and effort.

We've established that nothing is private online, things will leak, things have leaked, we want this board to be open, and we want it to be open as soon as possible.

So instead of squabbling, starting polls (no offense yov ;)...we've just had a couple now pertaining to this issue it seems, or at least discussions), and wasting time, shouldn't we be working hard to get the governance issues sorted out? ;) The sooner we get that done the sooner we can drop this subject! :D Wouldn't that be kewl? :dance: Sersiously though, this will be a moot point soon and since the majority of us have accepted things can and will get out and that we have no way of controlling that, I just think it would be so much more rewarding if we could focus our attention on more important matters.

:grouphug:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 2:44 am

Hell yeah, Eru. :D Trust me, I had no desire to do this now obviously useless poll. Or perhaps not useless because it seems to have brought into focus how unnecessary this squabbling over privacy is.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 4:36 am
Insolent Pup

Just to be different I voted yes. I have no great arguments for why, just that I want to be different.

After reading a few threads concerning this issue I'm getting the feeling that the rules would have to be situationally specific. Someone says that they have shared a harmless joke thread, but yet that person may not want their serious thread shared (even though this is the net and such a thing is impossible to monitor). It isn't that certain parts of this board are closed to the "public". The whole board is. If that is the case, the only logical confientiality rule is that ANY information passing is a punishable offense. Also the only punishment is a ban of some sort, either from a particular forum, or the whole board, or even posting privileges be revoked. Either way you slice it, the poster has been "banned" from participating in the board.

ETA: Wonderful! Now the poll is useless. Bah.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 5:05 am
Living in hope

Eru, thank you. I Totally Agree.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 5:51 am
His Rosyness

Quote:
Iavas_Saar wrote:
No to banning, but yes to some sort of effort being made to discourage it.

Such as?

Quote:
Not that it really matters now.

Why not?
It doesn't matter because a) The TORC drama has died down so the potentially hurtful venting is over - the privacy needed to be dealt with thoroughly at the time, and b) The board will soon be open.

As for what could be done to discourage it, simply adding a rule that sharing information outside the forum that the author would not want shared would be considered a violation if discovered.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 11:28 am
WYSIWYG

TORN wrote:
This whole thing is, I'm sorry to say, just plain stupid.
But really, this is all really tiring. . .
Wise and true words, TORN!

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 12:56 pm

Ooh, I voted but didn't post... Well I voted no! For some reasons that are already posted.

"Oats For World Peace!"

Pics from Madagascar: One, Two, Three..., Four!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 2:07 pm

Maybe what we need is a copyright notice on our words? If everyone put a copyright notice in their sig, then no one could copy their words without permission.

Copyright © 2005 by MariaHobbit. All rights reserved. No portion of this post may be copied in whole or in part without permission of the author.

I voted "no" of course.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 2:13 pm

That's too good, Maria. I'm stealing it! :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 57 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: