board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Members requesting their permissions to be changed.

Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 87 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 4:58 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Imp, I just now saw your post.

I said specifically that Voronwe was not thoughless because it was his post that I quoted.

I did not mean to imply that Voronwe is thoughtful and you are not. But you were both talking about the need for honesty, and Voronwe was agreeing with you that free expression is necessary, therefore I addressed my post to both of you.

Free exchange of ideas is important and being honest about one's feelings is also important, but sometimes this is taken to unfortunate extremes and I wanted to point out that freedom needs to be tempered. It's not a blank check. I can think of ten people off the top of my head who have used the "free expression of opinion" as their rationale for saying something that they later apologized for ... and I am observing, on behalf of all of us, including myself, that if one feels the need to apologize later then whatever was said probably does not belong under the "free expression" entitlement.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 11:20 am

Jny, that last line should be in our TOS or whatever we have. It's a brilliant guideline.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 7:16 pm
Insolent Pup

Quote:
I can think of ten people off the top of my head who have used the "free expression of opinion" as their rationale for saying something that they later apologized for ... and I am observing, on behalf of all of us, including myself, that if one feels the need to apologize later then whatever was said probably does not belong under the "free expression" entitlement.
That makes sense.

By the way, where is this table that this issue is on to ratify or not? Is this thread the table?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 7:31 pm
Living in hope

TED, this thread in the Jury Room is the main "table." The first post is an outline of the proposed charter, the second gives the part of the agenda the convention is on right now, and the third is some specific language currently being discussed in the thread. Look around the whole forum, as there are other subthreads with discussion. At this point we're talking about the powers of and expectations for admins.

Anyone can read the threads in the Jury Room. To comment on or contribute to the discussion, just PM a committee member (I'm one) and your remark will be posted in the Jury Room. Or, post in a thread here if there's a discussion going--we're reading these threads, too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 1:55 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Just poping in to say :bow: again to Jny. I'm so 150% with you :)

And I understand your points Impenitent, I really do and I'm very glad that you're continuing here for your opinion and different point of view is valid. But you know what? You say:
Quote:
When a poster leaves others don't really know why. Even if the poster states 'this is why', there is still the thought that perhaps the person is still following the argument via lurking.....
Thing is, no matter what you do, get locked out or simply stop posting there always will be an element of speculation even if you have a 'this is why I'm leaving thread'. People are people, and some will always speculate. No matter what you do or don't do, nothing will ever change that. You cannot prevent something over which ultimately you have no control over.

I can appreciate your statement of 'not wanting to be a fly on the wall' and being taken away the power to do so yet from a 'governance' point of view I cannot condone this and will keep my point of view that it's each members responsability/right to stay away if that's what they truly want.
As a member everyone has the right to open a thread with a parting statements and design it as they see fit. That needs to suffice. You can protest, anyone can but to have the in my point of view 'dubious' right (sorry, can't think of a better description) to ask to be locked out, this should not be put on the shoulders of the board, but on the shoulders of the member.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 10:40 pm
Try to stay perky

A very quick reply to let you know I've read this, finally. We've been on vacation and I had not been online since my last post - hence the delay in response.

V thank you for your very comprehensive response, both here and by email. I will respond in turn as soon as I have the opportunity. :)

Thank you all - Jn my post probably sounded quite petulant but in fact it was only my haste which made it blunt. Anth, thank you for your input.

I now need to catch up with my in-tray before I catch up further here.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 11:01 pm

Thanks, Impy. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 87 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5