Volunteers needed for admin pool

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject: Volunteers needed for admin pool
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 6:17 pm
Living in hope

Call for volunteers

We are in need of several new admins at the end of April--one to serve a two-month term, and two to serve three months. Because the charter is still in progress, we need to follow the procedure established earlier this year by the membership.

A poll will be put up this coming week listing eight current volunteers for the position of B77 admin. The poll will run for nine days. At the end of that time, the three with the most votes will be named as admins incoming on May 1. That should allow more than a week for new admins to practice on the experimental board.

This is the list of eight volunteers, which closed 10 April at 7 AM GMT:
  • Holbytla
    Laureanna
    Nin
    Areanor
    Truehobbit
    Voronwe_the_Faithful
    tinwe_linto
    MariaHobbit
The ballot is now filled. Those who aren’t voted in in the upcoming poll will remain in the admin pool and can expect to have a chance to serve in the near future.

However: We also welcome volunteers for the admin pool, to serve terms beginning in July, August, and later. Those terms will be filled either by another vote in June, or using the procedure in the charter, if that has been ratified. The charter procedure does not involve a vote like this one; it will probably be some form of anonymous approval vote for batches of candidates at once.

Admins essentially work with the nuts and bolts of B77--locking, moving, and deleting posts or threads as needed, handling member requests for things such as new titles, and answering questions. They will also handle member registrations and inquiries when B77 reopens to new members.

We are interested in having the admin staff cover a geographic range so that the board can be covered most hours of the day. We’re also hoping for diversity of age, gender, and nationality, and to include admins whose first language is not English.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here, or ask any of the current admins (Primula_Baggins, Berhael, Leoba, and Alassante_Estel). If you would like to put your name forward as a volunteer, please either post here or PM Primula_Baggins.

The list for this week's ballot is now closed. Thank you to the volunteers!

Last edited by Primula_Baggins on Tue 12 Apr , 2005 6:11 am, edited 11 times in total.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 11:03 pm
of Vinyamar

I am quite willing to help out as an admin but I am not interested in competing with others for the role. If you can get enough volunteers without mine, work away, but if you're stuck let me know and I'll pitch in.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 12:20 am
Living in hope

Thanks, Alatar.

There won't need to be another vote until June, and I'm hoping we'll have enough of the charter in place by then to let us use the new structure, where admins rotate into the position from a pool of volunteers and there is no voting. That might be more to your liking.

For now, we need to use the structure the membership agreed on, until we can ratify the relevant part of the charter.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 12:45 am
Insolent Pup

If it isn't until June, I'd be will to throw my name into the pool.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 1:03 am
Living in hope

Unfortunately, TED, we need people to start May 1.

However, there is another set of terms starting July 1 and August 1, for which we'll need at least four or five new admins. Either we'll have a vote for those in June or, if the charter is in place, people will rotate into those positions from the pool of volunteers for admin positions, without a vote. Would you like to add your name to the pool for that?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 1:34 am
Triathlete

I don't like the competing, either, Alatar. I'd rather be an invisible behind-the-scenes worker than a well-known politician, so I don't feel comfortable selling myself. But in the last vote, we all simply made a personal statement, then stood back and watched. I'll feel better when we get the charter in place.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 1:41 am
Living in hope

I think we all will.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 2:28 am
Best friends forever

I will help out, if needed.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 2:45 am

Prim, as I wrote you privately, I am willing to volunteer whenever you need me. (And if either Lidless or Holby makes a comment about that statement I will kick them.)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 2:56 am
Living in hope

vison and Voronwe, thank you. I've added you to the list. Not Alatar, because he preferred not to be involved in a vote, and not TED, because he can't serve until June, but I would like to put both in the admin pool for later if they agree.

Voronwe, you kick 'em high, I'll kick 'em low. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:08 am
Waiting for winter

I’d be willing to help out in any way I can. I’m not sure if I’m quite cut out for it, and like laureanna I’d be more comfortable working “behind the scenes”, so to speak. But I’m willing to try, so feel free to put my name in the pool.

I warn you, I have absolutely no experience in such a thing. And, if put in a position of authority, I would insist on making the trebuchet the official seige engine of b77.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:22 am
Living in hope

Thank you, tinwe. But did you want to be on the ballot for Tuesday, or in the pool for later?

And if I accomplish one thing during my term as admin

<raises chin and gazes keenly toward sunset while breeze ruffles hair>

I'll see to it that the trebuchet is indeed the official siege engine of B77.

I mean, what else would we pick? The ballista? The testudo?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:28 am
Triathlete

Tinwe, for you and anyone else who is unsure how to work the software, head on over to board77 experiment. If you can't recall the link, just take the link you are on as you read this, or any board77 thread, and erase the "board77" at the end and replace it with "b77experiment". If it takes you someplace wierd, or gives you a rude message, just click on the index link.

I've enjoyed the experimentation and heady power of admining very much, though I suspect doing it for real on Board77 is not nearly as much fun.:D

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:32 am
Living in hope

Let me put it this way:

When you make a huge honking humiliating disastrous mistake on the experiment board, it's funny.

:Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:41 am
Triathlete

Darn, I missed that one! ;)

Another thing you can do on the experimental board is sign on with two IDs, one given admin power, and the other staying a lowly member. Then you can torture the member, change her name, her password, ban her, split her thread into pieces, hide forums from her, etc. Of course, as an admin you can do this to anyone else on the experimental board, but it may be considered poor taste. :roll:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:45 am
Waiting for winter

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Thank you, tinwe. But did you want to be on the ballot for Tuesday, or in the pool for later?
My only reservation is the timing. I’m willing to be on the ballot, but, like I said, I have no experience, so training would be an issue, although I am a quick learner. You know what’s involved in that, so if you think I could learn in time, put me on.
Primula_Baggins wrote:
I mean, what else would we pick? The ballista? The testudo?
Some people still suffer under the misconception that a catapult and trebuchet are the same thing. It is my mission in life to correct that fallacy.

Edit: I post too slow too. I’ll go check out the experimental board now! Thanks Laureanna!

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 4:22 am
Best friends forever

Is a catapult anything like a cataplasm? They are good for the rheumatics..........

As for trebuchets, they use them in Quebec whilst making maple syrup.

Thus endeth the lesson.

There's SOFTWARE involved?!?!?! Argh.

Well, I shall check it out.

I warn you, don't say I didn't warn you. :help:

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 4:55 am

I'm sure I'll make a total botch of it but oh well. :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 7:25 am
Living in hope

Tinwe, you can learn what you need to know in a short time. It doesn't mean you won't ever make a mistake, but I've been told that everybody does, sooner or later. Most things are simple, and there are people to help.

vison, it's people like you what cause unrest. OTOH, you will have a lot to teach us.

And Voronwe, you won't either.

Thanks, all. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 8:43 am
Per aspera ad astra

As told on IM, you can add my name.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: