The Last Homely Site on the Web

Volunteers needed for admin pool

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:14 pm
Living in hope

Thanks, Nin. You're in, and the list is closed for now.

I have not yet heard from Truehobbit, who was a candidate last time, and if she withdraws I'll need one more person.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 4:22 pm
WYSIWYG

Ack, sorry for not responding sooner, I needed time to think, but seeing the list now there are so many wonderful people on it, it would be a shame to withdraw my name, so, I'm fine with being on it. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 4:23 pm
Living in hope

Great news, Hobby! Thanks! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 4:46 pm
Waiting for winter

I have a question about voting for multiple admins in one poll. What happens in the event of a tie? I notice that the last vote did have a tie for third. If we’re picking three at once this time, it could be an issue. Is there perhaps some way we could use a preferential type vote as is being done in the convention threads? I don’t know how complicated that would be for a board wide vote, but it would solve the problem of a tie.

Not that it concerns me too much, since I don’t expect to get any votes myself.[ img ]

Or maybe that should be :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 4:58 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Tinwe - an instant runoff is an excellent idea, but in such a case the vote cannot be anonymous. We don't have a ranking capability in this program, so ballots would have to be pasted, sent in by email or PM, and then counted by hand.

I would suggest that in the event of tie giving us more than three people, we have a second run-off vote for the 3rd and 4th runner-up. That's the way they do it in some countries where there are multiple parties and frequent ties.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 5:21 pm

I volunteer as well. :)

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 5:46 pm
Best friends forever

I'm not withdrawing my offer. But I may have to, if I am going to be much tied up with doctors over the next couple of months. Maybe you better put my name in a list for "future consideration", rather than just now? Sorry to do this, I wasn't thinking when I first offered. I am more than willing to do my share, but I don't think it would be right to begin and not be able to finish.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 6:06 pm
Living in hope

vison, of course we'll do whatever you feel is best. Your health has to take priority, as I know everyone agrees! I'll put your name in the pool list for later, and you can move on from there when you're ready.

Thank you!

MariaHobbit was the first person to step up after the list closed; for now I'll add her name in place of yours. I'll PM her to make sure that's all right with her.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 7:00 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Maybe if there is a tie for the third person, one will in fact just kindly step back - or issues like time-zones might play a role, then. I trust every volounteer not to hack out the eyes of a potential tie partner....

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 7:11 pm
Living in hope

MariaHobbit has agreed to be on the ballot, so we are set with eight names once again.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 8:34 pm

Just btw, I have been scouring old voting threads for the past few days to get a rota started ... to prevent it from being an impossible job later after hundreds more people have joined. So anyone who ran for office in the past but didn't serve, or who volunteered in this thread, you are on the rota in the order you first expressed willingness to serve as admin.

If the members ratify the rota system, at least we have the short list for the next few admins. You will not be lost in the shuffle!!

I've finally got track of the terms already served as well, and who served them, so we won't be imposing on the same people in the immediate future unless we need temp admins.

Jn

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 8:38 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Jnyusa - are you sure to be human??

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 8:42 pm

Nin :D I'm just good with spreadsheets.

Jn

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 8:59 pm
WYSIWYG

Nin wrote:
Jnyusa - are you sure to be human??
:LMAO:
Send the MIB to check! :cool:

Ah, but yes, she seems too good to be true! :D :hug:

What I actually wanted to say is, like Nin said, I suppose if there's a tie, one of the people will probably just step back. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 10:59 pm

Sure, if there's a tie, I'll step back. I'm getting my power trip experience ;) by playing with a new messageboard I made for my relatives last week. :)

It's funny, though, you should have heard my husband talking his brother through the registration process on the phone and trying to explain the difference between chatting and messageboarding. :D Clueless! Absolutely clueless! I'm going to have a whole messageboard of relatives who really don't understand communicating by computer. :LMAO: They are already making me feel like less of a techno-idiot! :D

Anyway, I'm learning what I need to know to be an admin, so I'm willing to help out. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 2:46 am
Living in hope

That's great that you're learning the admin business, Maria! :D

Now I have to confess that I've just found that I didn't correctly describe the procedure under the charter. I'm sorry.

There will be some kind of membership vote on admin candidates. However, it's not a vote like the one this coming week, where the admins are actually chosen by the voters. Instead batches of people will be approved by the membership as eligible to be admins, and actually moving into the job will be handled without a vote.

We are still working on the procedure for this vote, but the idea is for it to be as anonymous as possible. I think it will be extremely rare for a majority of the membership to object to a candidate, if indeed it ever happens at all. It should be possible to arrange the votes so that no one ever knows how many people, if any, did not approve a particular candidate.

That said, I realize that this is not the same as "no vote at all." If you are on the list for the admin pool and wish to withdraw your name from consideration now, I suggest PMing Jnyusa. If you have questions, please PM me.

I'd suggest waiting at least a few days to see what form the proposed vote will take--it's being discussed right now in the Jury Room--and deciding on that basis whether you wish to continue.

I apologize again for my oversight. Thanks again to everyone who has volunteered so far.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 4:20 am

Prim - that won't affect the people who have agreed to run for office right now because we're still under the old system.

It will only affect the people who've said they're willing to be admins next summer, or whenever, and might be thinking there's no vote.

If they don't like the system we come up with, they can object strenuously during the discussion period, and if it gets ratified anyway and they don't want to stay in the admin pool as a result, I'll pull their names at that time.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 4:27 am
Living in hope

That's fine, Jn. That's the group I meant to address anyway--some people who want to be in the admin pool but not in this vote said it was because they didn't want to be voted on.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 5:44 am

I don't think any of us want to be voted on. But we need people to serve and the new procedures are not in place. So we'll deal with it, hopefully for the last time.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 6:02 am
Insolent Pup

I'm fine with being part of the July and August admin votes. I actually would be fine with the May 1, too, but I misread your post, Prim, and thought that the admins were needed after June. I'm sure the "tossing of my name in" has passed for May 1, just put me on the list of possibiles for July or August. Thanks.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: