board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Middle-earth Forum

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Do you have any objection to forming a separate Middle-earth forum?
No.

97% [ 38 ]
Yes. (Please elaborate.)

3% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 39
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 5:19 pm

Yes, I would not be particularly interested in such discussions.
But no, I still think it's a great idea.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 6:05 pm

Yov, you did participate in the discussion on Frodo and Isildur. ;)

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 6:25 pm
through the looking glass

I voted no I have no objection.
Yes I want a Middle Earth forum.

Wait ... runs back ... did I vote correctly?

Whew! That's all right, then.

<glares at Voronwe>

Who worded this poll? It's confusing.

:D

Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Don't mind me.
It's wednesday.

That explains everything, doesn't it?

:help:

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 7:43 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Prim the discussion on how, if and when to restructure the forums took place right in here, in the thead Restructuring the boards. Estel started it and quite a few members had input also. I think you'll find all the relevant info in there.

Re a games forum (don't hang me, this is on top of my head now): I'm sure it's in there... but we (or Estel since she started this) wanted to see just how things were going to be done, making a plan first, discussing it, coming up with a final plan that would go up for a vote of consent amongst the members - rather than doing a bit here and a bit there. Estel was thinking big - which I generally like (though it does tend to take a bit longer). I don't know where she is btw..... it's been a very long time since I've seen her logged in and her last post is dated 5th April.

In any case, I would definitely stress that's important to get in touch with her before any action be taken.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 7:50 pm
Living in hope

Thanks, Alandriel--I'd remembered that thread, but did it come to any conclusion? I didn't think it had.

I'm wondering whether we would be justified in just accommodating members' wishes for the moment, at this site, and meanwhile polishing the grand design for use on the new site? It seems as if we're discussing an awful lot at the moment, and ratification of part of the charter is coming up, plus the opening vote--asking members for another big boardwide discussion and vote, particularly one with only a short-term effect, might reallly be overload right now. . . .

I'll try to get in touch with Estel.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 8:00 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Please do :) .. and no, the thread did not come to a conclusion. I think Estel got busy elsewhere and has not been back to it in some time.

Thing is, at this point in time and considering that so many very important issues are under discussion and should be focussed on, I don't think we can just simply create forums here and there whenever someone utters a wish. Sorry...... just my opinion and not to say that I don't value the opinion of those that have expressed a wish for new fora.

In the case of a ME fora, I however can see more value, for there are already a number of threads in existence which would find a better home than burried in existing fora.
Games? Frankly - I don't know. Are there a number of existing threads on games and if so where are they? I'm not saying we cannot have a games forum. I'm only saying perhaps now is not such a good time to do all this (unless Estel or someone else after having contacted Estel would like to take over the task. Obviously, it would have to be another Admin).

Even with V's suggestion of an ME forum - please let's wait till Prim hears something from Estel.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 9:37 pm
Living in hope

May I just say that I don't think new fora would be a distraction, but would give pleasure to many of the members without bothering others. People are being told right now that they must wait for many things; this wish would be fairly simple to satisfy (I would be willing to do the required work) and really doesn't depend in any way on the outcome of the constitutional discussion.

Also, as I said, it would be a temporary measure; if something doesn't work, it could be adjusted when we move.

But, as you suggest, I will try to discuss it with Estel.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:03 am

What's the big deal about creating forums? Just type, click, and there it is!

If there aren't any gaming threads yet, then it is very easy as there are no threads to move.

I have no objection to a ME forum.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:12 am

MariaHobbit wrote:
What's the big deal about creating forums? Just type, click, and there it is!
Just like Estel did for the m77t forum, while the discussion on restructuring the boards was ongoing (and without starting a specific thread to check to see if there were any objections.)

I'm not sure why it should be necessary to check with her first. If she is interested in the subject, she should be here. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:45 am
Living in hope

Well, there is serious admin work involved, because everyone's permissions have to be turned on by hand. But I'm willing and will have the time soon.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 3:21 am
Try to stay perky

I think it would be a very cosy nest for those of us who enjoy escaping from the hurly-burly. :)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 3:24 am
Try to stay perky

Prim - can't you use the new Administrator ID Estel created to turn everyone's permissions on at the same time? That was the whole point of creating that ID, as I understand it.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:00 am
Living in hope

Oh, yeah?

:doh1:

That's about the fifth time I've had to do that today.

I'll go try to figure it out. Something to do with groups. . . .

Thanks, Impy! :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:06 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

If I remember correctly, Estel didn't start it because of the massive amount of time involved in creating that forum. It wasn't extremely important that Alatar's forum be started up immediately so that's why she didn't. Plus I know she was wanting to figure out the whole groups thing. I could be wrong but I don't remember her denying him, but just saying not right at this moment.
Prim wrote:
I'm wondering whether we would be justified in just accommodating members' wishes for the moment, at this site, and meanwhile polishing the grand design for use on the new site?
I wouldn't go for that. The place could become too cluttered with forums and that makes for a not so nice board. If it's something reasonable and gets a lot of good feedback from the majority of members, then it would be worth considering. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:15 am
Living in hope

Such as the Middle-earth forum, unanimously approved here by twenty-nine members so far (the dissenting vote was a mistake).

That's about as many members as ever vote in these nonbinding polls.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:17 am

Yes, I agree. Plenty of people have expressed this desire on more than one occasion and I believe that merits creating one.

Were you able to get in touch with Estel and see if she was going to continue on with the restructuring of the board?

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:20 am
Living in hope

Estel hasn't picked up the PM I sent about 8 hours ago.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:22 am

I may try IMing her just to let her know her presence is wanted. :)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 6:45 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Adding new fora is a big deal and then again it isn't ;)
As Prim/Eru said, there is the small (or not so small matter) of adjusting ALL the permissions each time a new forum is created. For me it would make a lot more sense hashing out Estel's plan and then do it, for many changes and improvements have been discussed in her thread - though they have not come to a conclusion.

The other point is: you say forums, yes, and what you mean is to create new sub-forums (not main categories,right?). In principle I don't have anything at all against creating new subforums within the context of the existing main categories so long as the number of subfora created remains reasonable; but then, it's not like the members are asking for 20 new forums.
A few more subfora, integrated within the existing structure now until we can re-organize the whole board as to how Estel started it I have no problems with. I will have a problem though if we start messing with the main fora, moving things here and there without having a plan first (and having had plenty of member input on that - again, like Estel had started).

The 'danger' I want to avoid in all this is to fragment the board too much and I'm sure you can also appreciate that concern.

In any case, I'm glad various attempts have been made to contact Estel and I hope she can reply through some means within a reasonable time-frame. If she doesn't reply in any way (and I'll 'poke' Lidless too just in case for I've seen him post recently and he might know) then of course the case is in the hands of the current Admins and I'm very glad to hear that you, Prim, have extra energy to pour into this :)

And one last thing (and sorry to rehash this) re possible games forum: could someone please give me an idea how many existing threads there are that would fall into that topic and what the potential scope is for such a forum here. Sorry, I just have no idea how many people would be for having such a forum and would be actively interested in participating. Sure I'm aware that once in existence it might draw a wider audience but I'd like some base stats if posible please only because it's my own failure to not know much about the topic.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 6:55 am
Living in hope

Thanks, Alandriel. Not a lot of extra energy at the moment :) , but I have hopes for the weekend, once I've caught up in the Jury Room.

Of course I meant subfora--I think everyone did. We just get used to calling the Turf, say, a forum. No messing about with categories is needed at all.

If I don't hear from Estel before the weekend, I think I will go ahead and start work on the Middle Earth subforum. I really will put a thread in the admin forum sometime tomorrow, but it's midnight and I have about four hours of work left on some files I promised would be in someone's inbox at 6 AM my time, so. . . .

As for the Games subforum, maybe Alatar would start a poll like this one? Well, maybe more straightforwardly worded. . . . ( ;) and :poke: to Voronwe. . . .) Not that I am unwilling, but a poll result like the one in this thread makes everyone more comfortable with the idea and only takes a day or two. I think there is support for a Games subforum.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: