88% [ 15 ]
No

12% [ 2 ]
Total votes: 17
Alatar
Post subject: Games and Hobbies Forum
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:23 pm
of Vinyamar

Would you be interested in such a forum?

Gaming should include:

Roleplaying Games
Computer Games
Boardgames
Messageboard games

Hobbies of all kinds including:
Art
Crafts
Pidgeon Breeding...

Whatever.

What Say You?

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:27 pm
of Vinyamar

Obviously I'm voting yes....

Threads that could have been in here include:
Calling all Creative People
World of Warcraft
Middle Earth Online
Various discussions mid-thread in Turf between Yova, TED and I that had nowhere to go.
The Moobies Madlib game in March's Party for M00bies

Not to mention the numerous threads I have not started because there is nowhere to post them.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 2:04 pm

I'm abstaining from this vote as I have no strong feelings about it either way. If the poll asked whether I had any objections, I would answer no. But with the "straightfoward" way that it is framed, my temptation is to vote no, since I personally don't feel a need for such a forum. But I don't think it does any harm to have it (other then the work that it would take to create it) so I am not voting no.

Unless ... there seems to be a backlash against creating too many sub-fora, which then threatens the creation of a Middle-earth forum. In that case, I would vote no, because the M-E forum is quite important to me.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 2:20 pm
Living in hope

Voronwe, I apologize for joking about the way you phrased your poll. But it did lead to some funny answers, you have to admit. :)

I don't see anything wrong with supporting a forum for someone else's interests if I have no objection to it--it isn't really necessary to be formally asked that precise question, I think.

But I was working until 3:30 this morning, so I may not be seeing things precisely clearly.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 3:03 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

So long as I get to start the Bridge thread, yes. Absolutely.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 3:32 pm

Prim, no need to apologize. :)

My only concern is that if everyone decides they want a forum for their special interests, and no one objects, It would get very confusing and unwieldly. But of course that would not happen. What would happen is that at a certain point people would object to the creation of any new forums, resulting in the baby being thrown out with the bathwater.

Let me hasten to say that that does not mean that I think that this is an unworthy idea. Its just that I am not a games or hobbies type of person. Pretty much all of my time is taken up working, playing drums (which is definitely not a game or a hobby), in bed sleeping (or,er, otherwise occupied), or here. And most of the time that I am working, I am also here (and vice-versa, for that matter). That's my life. So this particular forum is not particularly important to me. But if enough people want it, I have no objections to it.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 3:42 pm
Triathlete

I like the idea of having a very broad group of interests included as there is more chance of people dropping in. We would have to exclude a few obvious passions/hobbies/pursuits, though, like movie watching, reading, listening to music, debating, mooting, writing, thinking of england, RPing, messageboarding .... Oh, wait, did you say hobbies or addictions? :D

Don't forget chess.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:00 pm
Living in hope

Thanks, Voronwe.

I've heard people around the board at various times express a wish for this or that sort of game thread, and I've seen game discussion come and go. I suggested that Alatar start a poll because I think it will demonstrate that there is support and interest for a game subforum, just as your poll demonstrated a total lack of objection ;) to a Middle-earth subforum.

The M-E subforum will gather together what really seems like a significant set of thread topics that all together interest a significant number of people who will enjoy finding them all together in one place. I think the Games subforum would do the same for everything from chess to Doom 3 to, who knows, cricket, plus hobbies from knitting to bonsai to who knows what. Those topics don't really seem integral to Turf, and there really isn't anywhere else they can go.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:30 pm

I forgot to say cleaning house (or otherwise working on the house) and reading. And watching a very occasional movie. Now I think my list is complete. ;)

And Prim convinced me, so I'm going to vote 'yes'. :)

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:33 pm
Gloriosus

I voted no. Unless there is a "Work and household chores" forum where the visitors have to post first.

– – –

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:41 pm
Living in hope

Mummpizz, you are such a Puritan. :x

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 5:41 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I very much support having the hobbies forum...I guess games can go along with that.

The cooking, gardening, and aromatherapy threads can easily get buried in the Turf so it will be much nicer to have those more visible as I think they'd get more attention then. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 6:03 pm

What? Cooking and gardening are hobbies rather than Work and Household Chores??? You must be more talented at them than I am. My usual reaction to either: :bang:

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 6:07 pm

Hmmmm.... a martial arts thread all it's very own, rather than buried in the Manweista thread. What a concept!

Yessss for a hobbies thread!

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 6:18 pm
Insolent Pup

If we're going to possibly have a Midde-Earth forum, I don't see why we can't have a Games and Hobbies. As we could use The Turf for that stuff, threads in the turf tend to get sidetracked easily, while in the more specific forums, they do not. I voted yes.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 6:43 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
threads in the turf tend to get sidetracked easily
What ever are you talking about?

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 6:49 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Definately WampusCat! :D Preparing new dishes is fun and gives you a sense of accomplishment...as well as having a flower flourish or a plant produce some great veggies. Plus the flowers are pretty and relaxing to look at. :)

Yov, :nono:

:P

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 7:09 pm

Preparing new dishes gives me a sense of despair (especially when I see the horrified looks on other members of the Wampuscat household). Seeing a flower flourish is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, mine generally don't!

:(

'Fraid I didn't inherit the domestic gene. But I have other talents and hobbies.

So of course I voted yes. :D

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 7:46 pm
Waiting for winter

I voted yes, but I do have some concerns.

Should games and hobbies be in the same forum? I’m not sure what stamp collecting has to do with killing space aliens. Perhaps they should be sub-forums in another master forum? I would suggest the “Dicisne hoc opus artem esse? “ forum, but I don’t really know what the hell that means, so how can tell if it would fit there?

My other concern is with overlap of fora. For instance, some musical interests could be considered “hobbies” (Wampuscat play a mean celtic harp, for instance), but should a discussion about that go in the music forum, or in hobbies? The same problem could arise with the ME forum. Should movie threads about LOTR go in the ME forum, or the existing movie forum?

I don’t see either of these as major barriers, just something to think about.

I’ll hold off on requesting a separate forum for discussions about donuts and/or trebuchets. :cool:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 7:55 pm
Living in hope

<quietly shelves plans for "Engines of War and Fried Pastries" forum>

tinwe, this is a short-term thing, since the board structure will probably come under discussion before we move. Everything will have to be set up over again at that point in the new place, so that's a natural time to make changes.

Even so, I think it's reasonable to add a subforum for both games and hobbies at this point. Assuming that happens, let's see how it shakes out. If the subforum turns out to be really overfull, the membership could discuss splitting it as part of the restructuring when we move.

As for whether music is a hobby or something for the music forum, probably threadstarters will know what feels right to them.

As I understand it, threads about LotR the movie would go in the ME forum, as would discussions of the Silmarillion, reviews of new Tolkien-related books, LotR soundtrack discussions, and the deep inquiry into bad Tolkien art I've been dying to launch. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 63 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: