board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

New subfora--any problems?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Primula_Baggins
Post subject: New subfora--any problems?
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:37 pm
Living in hope

You've probably seen the polls recently running in the Business Room about opening new subfora on Middle-earth and Games and Hobbies. The M-E subforum would gather together LotR discussion on the books and the films, plus other Tolkien writing and Tolkien-related music discussion--it would essentially make the Books subforum into Other Books, and Movies into Other Movies.

I know Estel has been working on a major restructuring that looks quite interesting. But it seems possible that the discussion won't be finished in time to really make redoing this entire board worth the effort--that we might instead simply use the new structure in setting up the new board.

Given that, would any of you object to my setting up, first the M-E subforum and then, assuming it shows a similar level of support, the Games and Hobbies one? I would undertake to do the work involved.

I think the M-E subforum would go in "Dicisne hoc opus artem esse?" with Books, Movies, and Music, since all those things would also be discussed in the M-E subforum, just relating to Tolkien. I haven't yet checked with Voronwe, who's been the force behind this one, but I will.

Games and Hobbies would be an obvious Round Table subforum--I think Alatar would agree.

I agree that we want to avoid cluttering up the board, but both these subfora would be a logical place to gather scattered threads where people would enjoy finding them together. It would help make other subfora less cluttered and more homogeneous. And it's something people seem to want that I think they could actually have without further votes and discussions or waiting until we move--I think that would be refreshing for everyone right now. ;)

As we say around here, what say you?

Last edited by Primula_Baggins on Sat 16 Apr , 2005 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 12:07 am
Milk and kisses

I thought that the big restructuring job would take place when we moved to the new board, where we wouldn't have the issue of activating permissions for users and fora... but if the groups work (therefore making it a much lighter task), then I can't see why not :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 12:10 am
Living in hope

Thanks, Ber, very much! :D Leoba has already said elsewhere that it's OK with her.

Now I just have to figure out whether groups work while we wait to hear from Estel (assuming we do?).

If we do this, I won't be starting in on it until the weekend at the earliest.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 12:14 am
Milk and kisses

Yeah... I'd suggest PMing Estellie. I have no idea how groups work, unfortunately (I'm a crap admin :oops: ;) ). I think it's pretty straightforward though.

And now I'm going to bed... it's midnight Spanish time, but 1am in the UK and I'm working tomorrow... :Q G'night!

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 12:18 am
Living in hope

I did PM her more than 24 hours ago, but she hasn't picked it up yet.

G'night! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 2:05 am
Living in hope

I still have not heard anything from Estel. I have to assume that she is too busy to participate, but that if she had a strong objection she would have conveyed it by now.

I've been to the experimental board and created both a user group and a forum; added members to the group; and granted the group privileges in the new forum. It all looks quite easy, which makes me a bit nervous. Creating a new forum is straightforward (I would keep it hidden while it was under construction and permissions were being adjusted). Creating a group takes a minute, adding the whole board to the group takes about three clicks, and giving the group permissions on the forum takes another thirty seconds or so.

I would:
  • Create the Middle-earth forum (hidden).

Create the All_Members group and add all members to it (setting the "Administrator" ID Estel created as group moderator).

Set the group's permissions for the new forum to be the same as the other regular forums (Turf)--I noticed that this is not the standard "Registered" permission set, as we limit seeing and reading to registered users as well.

If everything looks OK, un-hide the forum.

Ask threadstarters to ask me to move threads into the forum, or some of the current posters in an ongoing thread whose starter is no longer at B77.
If somebody could PM me the names of any members who currently have restricted privileges here--other than Ethel, whom I know about--I'll leave them out of the new group or turn off their permissions for the new forum manually.

In a day or two, after some of the dust has settled, I can do it over again for the recreation subforum.

Does this sound workable? I'd like to begin as soon as I have your agreement. Thanks!

Edit: So, thanks to truehobbit, I have just discovered that adding people to a group automatically emails them. So creating a group covering the entire board is going to spam the board.

And here's weirdness: the email for the group I made on the experiment board sends everybody a link to B77, which then tells them that no such group exists.

This will necessitate at least one extra step: posting an announcement telling everyone what's happening.

I may try adding just one or two users at first and seeing what they report. :scratch I'd like to know how that email works. Though I guess I can just add myself and get one. :scratch some more.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 5:02 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Primula_Baggins wrote:
If somebody could PM me the names of any members who currently have restricted privileges here--other than Ethel, whom I know about--I'll leave them out of the new group or turn off their permissions for the new forum manually.
I'm pretty certain that Ethel is the only one without access to the lot. Plus Wilko is restricted from the Invites forum.

Everyone else is restricted only in terms of access to England and access to the Jury Room.

And I'm starting to think we need a concrete list of this sort of thing!!!

What you're up to sounds great. If you have the time I'd suggest doing both forums at once. Having been here when we were building new ones all the time it's not that unsettling. ;)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 5:06 pm
Living in hope

Thanks very much, Leoba.

I'll probably take your advice about doing both at once--I just need to spend some time a little later settling my mind about this email the system sends, and also I want to post a general announcement about what's up.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 6:35 pm
Living in hope

I've created the group All_Members and added myself.

We will have to add new registrations to this group now, as part of the activation process. But that inconvenience will make everything else much more convenient.

I'm going to put up an announcement to explain what's going on and the email, etc. (which I've received and read, and it works as it is meant to). Then I'll go ahead and add everyone but Ethel. (I don't want her to get the email.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 8:41 pm
Living in hope

All done! Please let me know if you see any problems.

Permissions oddities--Individual users' permissions show no permission for the two new fora. Group permissions show no permission for anything but those two. I am pretty sure that people have permissions, though to make sure, I really need to look at the forums from a regular user's perspective and can't. I hope people will PM me if there's a problem.

Edit: No problems so far! Everyone seems to be able to see and post.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 12:17 pm
Milk and kisses

They look good to me Prim :D
Good work :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 8:41 pm
Living in hope

Thanks very much, Ber.

Group permissions rock! Click, click, click, done.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: