board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

New version of the board software

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
truehobbit
Post subject: New version of the board software
Posted: Sat 07 May , 2005 7:12 pm
WYSIWYG

There's a big alert in the admin panel, saying there's a new version of the phpbb-software.

I don't know the first thing about how that stuff works - do we need to update? Should we update? Is there a danger of messing something up, if we update?

:scratch :help:

(I'm also wondering whether the mysterious colon in the avatar area might have to do with that?)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 May , 2005 8:52 pm

Well, I click on the link to the download page and poke around a bit. I was happy to see that this update was released today, so the notice must of just appeared. I'd hate think that it was there for days and we just didn't notice it.

I looked at the list of changes from our version to the new version, and I didn't see anything that looked like it would be critical to us. Unfortunately, I am far from a tech geek. My general rule of thumb is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But there may well be a good reason to update. I wonder if a kindly former admin could let us know whether there have been any previous udates in the time that board77 has been around.

As for whether the update is somehow causing the weird new colon problem, it doesn't make sense to me that that would be the case, since we haven't actually done anything. On the other hand, the timing certainly is suspicious. I suppose we'll need to contact phpbb and find out what is going on with that. I should know how to do that, but I don't. Perhaps Prim or someone more knowledgable then I could either point me in the right direction or handle it themselves.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 May , 2005 9:26 pm
Living in hope

I didn't see much, either. The only thing that seemed like a change that would affect us is that the new version requires admins to log in separately to the admin panel. That may be a slight improvement in security, although I'm not sure.

The phpBB support forum is here. I scanned it for threads mentioning mysterious colons and didn't find any.

I guess I'm wondering if this is really something we need to be concerned about?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 May , 2005 11:24 pm
WYSIWYG

I agree the changes don't sound like much - but I wouldn't know really, I don't understand a lot about that sort of thing.

I guess apart from that big red "your version is not up to date" message, we'll not notice anything if we don't update.

And I also think the colon is not something to be concerned about, more something to try and figure out once there's really nothing else to be done. :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 4:38 pm
Triathlete

Separately logging into the admin "powah" might be a good time - would keep me from almost editing other people's posts on numerous occasions.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 12:56 am
WYSIWYG

Hey, someone did the update! :Q

Or did that happen automatically?

Anyway, you have to enter your password again to do some adminning now. :)

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 1:53 am
Living in hope

What new devilry is this?!? :x

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: