The Last Homely Site on the Web

Switching off individual permissions - usergroups

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 69 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Jun , 2005 2:51 pm
Living in hope

Nin, Jn has some special permissions in the Outside forum so she can make stickies, etc., without needing to get an admin every time.

So she's in the "Special Permissions" group and her permissions have all been set by hand. That group is for anyone wiith "custom" permissions, whether they're added ones like Jn's, or restrictions imposed on someone by a jury verdict.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Jun , 2005 3:41 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I understand that - but could she not be in All Users nevertheless??

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Jun , 2005 4:02 pm
Living in hope

I think as a policy it's best not to do that—because only people with additional powers could also be in All_Users. Most people in Special Permissions will probably be people with fewer privileges, not more, and rangers have to form the habit of removing them from All_Users when they're added to Special Permissions.

In Jn's particular case, yes, she could be—she is unlikely to be banned, at least here :P , so we're not likely to be taking away her posting permissions or confining her to the BikeRacks. I just think it's simpler if procedures are consistent—remember there will be an entirely new batch of rangers in six weeks or so.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 7:36 am
Per aspera ad astra

Okay - I basically thought that everybody was in All_Users, also for the e-mails, for instance.

I did not dare to touch Jny in any way anyway.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 8:33 pm
Triathlete

Now that I think I finally understand groups, I think the groups should be arranged the following way. I have proposed a few changes to things from what they are now. The proposed changes are in bold. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is something we should square away before opening.

Everybody who ever tried to sign in is listed on our member list. It consists of:
A. Those waiting at the door (not activated yet and not in any group)
B. Those registered and activated
i. Real people
a. people in the standard user group with permissions to read and post in most of the forums
1. people with just standard permissions (members of standard group only)
2. people who also have permission to post in the Jury room (Members in Jury Room and standard group)
3. people who also have permission to post in TOE (members in TOE and standard group)
4. people who have permission to both Jury Room and TOE (members in Jury room, TOE, and standard group)
5. people who are admins or owner, and can do anything (Members of the Admin group and standard group)
b. people with an unusual set of permissions (members of the Special Permissions group only)
1. Jny the extraordinary - allowed to do extra things in Jury Room
2. Somebody who is not allowed to see Invites
c. People confined to the Bikeracks only (member of the Bikeracks group only)
ii. RP characters (members of the RP characters group only - confined to TABA)
iii. Administrator, the screen name (member of all groups, listed as moderator for each)

The standard group contains all users with standard permissions (B.i.a) This used to be called "all_users". Individual and group permissions are additive. Permission to post can be given by individual permission OR group permission. To make member management easier, users start out with no individual permissions, and all permissions they are entitled to are added on by group permission.

Group permissions are cumulative. So if you were in the standard group (can see and post almost everywhere) and the bike rack group (bike racks only), you could get all the standard group permissions plus all the bike rack permissions, which doesn't make much sense. So the people confined to bikeracks have to be taken out of the standard permissions group and placed in the bikeracks group.

There are also a few people with unusual permissions that don't fit in with any of the other sets of permissions, they are taken out of the standard permission group, given no default permission by their group status, and their individual permissions can be set manually. These are the only people who have individual permissions on.

The all emailee group contains all people in B.i - all real people - minus anyone who has specifically asked not to be emailed anything.

What I just wrote could be added to the admins handbook, if there is such a thing.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 9:00 pm
Living in hope

Laureanna, other than renaming All_Members to "standard user," isn't this exactly what we have now? (i.e., what am I missing?) This is certainly how I was expecting the system to be used when I made the initial groups—no individual permissions for anyone but the Special Permissions people, and adding people to special groups as necessary.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 2:41 am
Triathlete

I agree that the permissions are what we are trying to have, but right now, most of our members still have individual permissions, because they haven't all been switched over. It was something we were going to do, but I haven't seen many admins working on it lately. I guess now would be a very good time to finish that task.

Would you mind if we switched "all users" to "standard member"? "All users" just means something else to me, like, say "all" users. :roll:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 2:58 am
Living in hope

The group's name now is actually "All_Members." Is that okay? "Standard members" doesn't sound quite as friendly to me—as if they're interchangeable or something. ;)

But it doesn't matter that much, if you feel strongly about it.

And I agree we need to get that permission switching finished. I hope to be able to work on it beginning the 21st, when I'm planning to spend some long periods on work here. I can't right now; I dash in and out because I'm working from about 6 AM to about midnight this week.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 3:40 am

I'll start trying to work on the list now.

Hopefully I won't futz it all up. I'm assuming that I start right after Jn.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 4:10 am

It won't let me do this on my laptop, so it will have to wait until I can get onto my normal computer (which Beth is currently occupying. Maybe later (once she goes to bed).

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 7:12 am

I did up through Kushana.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:42 pm
WYSIWYG

Great, thanks for helping. :)

I really don't understand what's wrong with "All members". :scratch
Ok, "All primary IDs with normal posting rights" would be more exact - but a bit long, I guess. ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 4:06 pm

I'm going to try to do a few more now.

I have no problem with All_Members, nor do I have any objection to changing it.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 4:39 pm

Finished page 4 (through TIGG). Skipped the Rangers Prim and laureanna.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 4:44 pm
Living in hope

Just FYI it's probably best not to skip Rangers. The admin powers overcome all "OFF" settings, and this way when we're de-admined we drop right back where we belong (and no one has to remember to go switch us off individually).

Otherwise it might take up to five minutes to ban me. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 5:50 pm

Prim, actually we have to skip the Rangers, because there is nothing that we can do with the Rangers. When we come up automatically in simple mode, and it does not give the choice of "disallow". Everything is automatically "allow."

I think. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 6:36 pm
Living in hope

Oops. :oops:

I forgot that.

Thanks!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 8:39 pm
WYSIWYG

Yessss, can't switch off a Ranger - mwahahahaha! :devil:

Ahem. :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 8:52 pm

Are we having fun yet?

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Jun , 2005 1:26 am

Starting page five.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction: