The Last Homely Site on the Web

Concerns, problems, suggestions etc. with this board

Post Reply   Page 31 of 34  [ 667 posts ]
Jump to page « 129 30 31 32 33 34 »
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 1:47 pm
WYSIWYG

After sending a message just now I saw that there've been more games added to the site, and I thought I'd give it a try (I never got the gorilla thing to work), but no luck.

What does a PC need to run the games?

At home I could imagine it's because my PC is too old, but where I'm now I'm on winXP and everything comparatively modern (for my taste) - but I'm on a modem connection. :scratch:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 1:55 pm
of Vinyamar

You should just need Java enabled/installed. Also, make sure that popups are not blocked on your browser.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:02 pm
WYSIWYG

Thanks, Alatar! :)

Hmmh - I've got "Java JIT" activated, but not "Java console" (or whatever that is in English) or "Java protocolling".
I've never had problems with pages before though, so I took it that all functions are enabled.

I don't know where to check for pop-up blockers, but I'm not aware of using any. (I do get the PM notifications, for example.)

When I click on a game, a window does pop up, but I get the error sign for images, which you get when an image can't be displayed.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:04 pm
of Vinyamar

Hmm. Just go to the Java site at Sun and download the latest runtime libraries. That should fix it for you.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:22 pm
Can never be buggered at all

It seems that you don't have the popup blocker activated, if a popup window does open; but, that feature can be found under the Tools menu on IE6, and in Tools -> Options -> Web Features on Firefox.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:22 pm
I love lamp!

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I guess this is the best place.

According to ToE procedure, I've posted 100 posts and I've been here for 3 months so how do I gain access to ToE? Do I need approval from an admin or Ranger? It hasn't come automatically since my 3 month anniversary was yesterday and today I still do not have access.

Thanks! :)

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:32 pm
of Vinyamar

S_O, you just have to ask a Ranger for access. Unfortunately, there has been a request that we not accept any more members until the access issue is sorted. I'll have to get back to you on this.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:39 pm
Living in hope

S_O, I can't remember—did you sign up and then have to wait until we opened before you got activated, or did you just sign up late after having been through the invite process? If it's the former, then June 27 is your actual join date. We had quite a few people who signed up at various times while we were closed for the Charter work, and we activated all of them the day (actually, the minute) we opened.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 4:11 pm
I love lamp!

I guess it doesn't matter, Prim. :P I signed up a couple of weeks before the board opened, but was activated when everyone else was on the 27th.

I thought that the 3 months were based on join date, not activation date (it's been a while since I've read the rules for joining ToE), that's why I asked. :)

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 4:17 pm
Not so deep as a well

I think it's activation date, but the wording is vague. We will address that in the current committee.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 6:03 pm
Living in hope

It should be activation date, since the point of the 3 months is for people to get to know the board and vice versa.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 1:01 am
Try to stay perky

Prim, yes, that makes sense.

I feel uncomfortable about the hold on new ToE permissions pending the outcome of the amendment proposal but I guess that has been the consensus decision?

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 1:46 am

Impy, I am also uncomfortable with that. But before I make a judgment about it, may I know what is the justification for doing so? IMHO, there would need to be a pretty compelling reason to allow simply setting aside a duly approved provision of the Charter without authorization from the membership.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 1:54 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I believe the idea came about because there has been such a disagreement who should and should not be allowed in...so some people thought it might be a good idea to put everything on hold while it gets decided who can or cannot be allowed in. Here's where a bit of discussion about it happened:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... d77#123694

Not sure what the other thread was Estel mentioned that in...could be in ToE. I'll go look.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:04 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

That, and we put a hold on new membership when we were talking about opening the board. The ToE is a private forum on an open board - why wouldn't we have the same sort of thing?

Honestly, it would suck horribly to go through all this ToE debate, have it passed (hopefully) but have delays in the timing that allowed the one person whose presence caused this whole dilemna be allowed in the forum because no one wanted to ask people to wait a week or two to get in. Then we lose the majority of active posters in that forum - and their posts - because we didn't follow the same precedent as when we opened the boards.

Honestly, if that is going to be the case - where we can't ask people to wait just a few extra days weeks - then why should I, or anyone else who cares about this issue, be willing to do the work involved? It will all be for nothing in the end.

A good reason?

Does it really matter to new posters if they have to wait a couple of extra days beyond the three months they have already waited? Will it hurt them or the forum?

Probably not.

Does it really matter to current posters in the ToE, as well as members of the committee who really honestly care about this issue that they HAVE the necessary time to get the amendment perfect? Will it hurt them or the forum to NOT have the option of delay?

Yes, YES and YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:06 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I found a good post of yours explaining the reasoning Estel:
Quote:
I still don't understand why we have to beat that date.

Can't we hold off on formulating rules for letting new members in until we know what the legalities are for a forum like this.

It's not going to kill anyone to wait a month for access, if they want it. It may kill the board if we do.

We stopped the invitation process for b77 as a whole until we had the rules sorted out. In fact, we never restarted it until we opened the boards.

Can't we do the same with this forum?

No new members in the forum until the process for allowing new members in the forum is complete?
edit: Adding a quote of Prim's:
Quote:
BUT I think it would be reasonable to suspend new ToE memberships while both processes are going on. ToE is a community, and it would be harmful to the community to admit people you might then have to throw back out because the rules changed.

Furthermore, since it's a liability issue, we would be remiss if we weren't sure we had the right rules in place before admitting new members.
Some of it may be a bit of a repeat. ;)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:19 am
Try to stay perky

Thank you Estel. :)

Eru, I believe Prim was addressing the age restriction issue in referring to liabilities. (Not discounting what she said, just contextualising it.)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:22 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Actually, I believe Prim was replying to me when she said that Impy, and I was talking about the rules of entry to the ToE as a whole and delaying entrance till they were set.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:23 am

Thanks, Eru and Estel. I have a better understanding now.

Since I am not really a member of the ToE community (accept to the extent that it effects board77 in general) I will certainly bow to the wishes of those directly affected by these issues. :)

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:24 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:love: Thanks :hug:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 31 of 34  [ 667 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 129 30 31 32 33 34 »
Jump to: