The Last Homely Site on the Web

GRAND OPENING CELEBRATION: July 6

Post Reply   Page 14 of 15  [ 287 posts ]
Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 »
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 12:46 am
Another bright red day

I think it's an excellent idea. :) It'd be nice to be able to work on it in advance, and I like the notion of having more than just the one official grand celebration.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 12:53 am
WYSIWYG

And what do we do with the forum after the party? :scratch
(I mean where do we move the threads?)

Dunno, I think one or more party threads (though personally, I'd go with one) would be fine - if it said to please not post yet, I'm sure people would stick to it.

The committee could write up the RP for the intro - location, music, show - and when it's open we all just do our RP there - you know, arrival in fancy garb, your fell beast accidentally eating some of n00bs (ok, scratch that), eating, drinking, chatting, watching the show.

Maybe there actually could be some kind of show.
Like, at some appointed time, someone would post a funny scene they'd written, or a cool pic they'd made - all on the subject of b77 opening maybe.

Mossy, I don't rightly know what you mean by using people's talents. I guess you could post pics of members' art, but apart from that I have no idea how it would work. :scratch

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 12:57 am
Another bright red day

truehobbit wrote:
Maybe there actually could be some kind of show.
Like, at some appointed time, someone would post a funny scene they'd written, or a cool pic they'd made - all on the subject of b77 opening maybe.
I would be thrilled if someone wanted to do this. Any takers? Lidless?
Quote:
Mossy, I don't rightly know what you mean by using people's talents. I guess you could post pics of members' art, but apart from that I have no idea how it would work. :scratch
No clue, Hobby. This is something you'd have ask Pips about. I think its a neat idea, I just have no idea how to carry it out. Hopefully she'll come in here and explain it a bit more clearly. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 1:16 am

truehobbit wrote:
And what do we do with the forum after the party? :scratch
(I mean where do we move the threads?)
Dunno, I hadn't gotten that far. I just wanted to see what kind of interest people have in the idea, particularly the party committee and the other Rangers (since it would require a majority of the Rangers approval to create the forum. Sounds like you are lukewarm at best. :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 1:40 am
WYSIWYG

Yes, I can't really see the point (sorry)!
(Not that I would object if others like the idea, though!)

I mostly doubt the use of a whole number of threads, though.

The more threads, the more the party will spread out - i.e. each thread will be the slower for there being other threads.
Normally, I think, the party finally happens in one place anyway.

Yes, it would be a fast moving thread, but I think a single fast moving thread draws more people than several that move more normally - it just doesn't seem so exciting when the speed isn't breathtaking.

I also think that the thread wouldn't have to go up days in advance - all the decorations are in print, and can be written at leisure offline, so as soon as Mossy or Pip hit "submit" it's all there.

I think the Turf would be fine for that. We'd probably move the threads there after the party anyway, if we had a forum.
(I was wondering whether you were thinking about putting them in History, though. ;) )

The only advantage I see for a forum is that it could truly open, and thus re-enact the opening of the board. (Although I'm not sure if that wouldn't be a bit "twee")

But, as I said, my main doubt lies in the fact that I don't think the party should take place in different threads.

Maybe you could explain a bit more what you were thinking should be going on in these different threads?

I'm ready to be convinced! :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 7:28 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I think the creation of a new forum would open up opportunities for threads about how people feel about the opening, side stories to the main RP, and other ideas people might get to fill the blank space. It'd add a pretty unique flavour to the celebration. But apart from that I'm not sure if there is really much use in it. It would be nice for n00bs to be posting in a forum which they'll use more later (I nominate Turf). :)

The idea behind the celebration is an RP party. We've agreed on a venue (which we hope you'll like :)) and I was coming up with a few ideas for the opening post the other day. You see, b77 is all about collaboration and the community shows an incredible diversity and level of talent in all fields. So it seems a little odd that when it comes down to it only one person will be posting the RP post. I thought that to illustrate the general loveliness of you lot we could write in some contributions in our description. For example, as Pippin climbed on through the dewey grass she saw the starlight glimmering upon a strange form in the distance. She rounded the curve of the hill and realised what it was; an Elven-maiden, swathed in flowing cloth and dancing under the clear night sky. She was perfectly still and cold; a sculpture by Tosh, the hobbit realised. Others Elves appeared as she continued up the rough path, holding small candles in their cupped marble hands, playing silent music, and finally the two gatekeepers. Or something like that. Just an attempt to portray how much work has gone into the creation of the board; that this is a special night, and, crucially, that at b77 everybody is valued. I'm pretty sure Tosh has never sculpted anything like that, but he certainly has talent, and perhaps in our MEesque celebration he would let us borrow his name and skill. It might not be a good idea, but I've got quite a few names written down that I could drop during the course of the description, all picked based on my midbie memories of actual events.

Does this idea suck?

Mossy, thanks for the PM. I got so used to being out of the loop when my internet was down I've been forgetting to keep up with this thread.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 11:12 pm
Another bright red day

So, any thoughts on Pips' idea?

If we don't have a special subforum, what forum should we post this in? Turf? Welcome?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 11:30 pm

I think its a great idea - if people participate. The key is to get the word out as soon as possible.

I still think it would be best to have it in its own forum, but otherwise I would say it should be in the Turf forum (although Welcome would be a good choice too, and perhaps it would not get as lost in there).

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 11:37 pm
Another bright red day

Is is okay if I post in the Global Announcement asking for participation?

And I agree about the subforum, but I'm not a Ranger, so I suppose I don't really count. ;) Turf might be appropriate, but I feel like it might get lost. However, people will be posting in it, so it might hover around the top anyway . . .

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 11:42 pm

Maiden, of course you could post it in the global announcement. Or, if you want to create a new, fresh thread, I would be happy to make it a global announcement, and unstickie the other one.

I'm going to raise the creating of a temporary forum in the Ranger's forum management thread and see what the other Ranger's opinions are.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 4:08 am
Another bright red day

Edit: You know what, I changed my mind. It's turning out to be a long post, and I really do need people's input. . . kind of afraid t hey might not read just another post in such a long thread. Is that all right?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 4:42 am

Yes, that's all right. :)

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 4:45 am
Another bright red day

Wonderful, thanks. Much obliged! :)

I'll post the thread as soon as I finish typing it up.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 4:59 am

And I'll sticky as soon as I see it, and unsticky the other one. :D

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 5:12 am
Another bright red day

Thanks! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 10:49 am
WYSIWYG

So, Voronwe, you still haven't answered my doubts - what exactly do you imagine will be going on in all those threads in the subforum?

We could of course have a temporary forum with just one or two threads.

Pips and Maiden, I think if you want people to participate, or need their ok to mention them in the decorations, also consider contacting them by PM!

Pips, I haven't replied sooner because I'm not sure about your idea.
Yes, the way you described it, it's very nice, I like the way you included the reference to Tosh's art - but take care you don't hurt people by overlooking them!

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 1:12 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I've only just spotted this, sorry. I'm very amenable; I'll do what I'm told. :)

We already have a forum tailor made surely - the Welcome Forum.
If special party threads are being devised, can't they be temporarily stickied then unstickied a decent time afterwards?
Do the organisers want pics or other material sent to them to arrange in the thread the way they want for the best RP effect?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 2:17 pm

Quote:
So, Voronwe, you still haven't answered my doubts - what exactly do you imagine will be going on in all those threads in the subforum?
Whatever people want to be going on in those threads. I'm afraid I simply don't understand what your objection is.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 8:06 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Quote:
But take care you don't hurt people by overlooking them.
As a relative n00b and non-m00bie that's the main thing holding me back. :(

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 9:07 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

and non-m00bie

Are we M00bs really so omnipresent? :Q

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 14 of 15  [ 287 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 »
Jump to: