Approving new members (process) etc. / update Mar 14

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Approving new members (process) etc. / update Mar 14
Posted: Thu 09 Dec , 2004 10:14 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

UPDATE Mar05 & 14,2005 USER PERMISSIONS SETTINGS

before activating a new member please check the following NEW permissions everything is ALL ON except

Bike Racks: OFF = sticky, vote, poll
Jury Room: View & read ON, everything else = OFF
Archives: view & read ON, everything else OFF
Thinking of England: view ON, everything else OFF (member needs to request access via PM to one of the Admin

All new members must be logged in the New users ex March 2005 thread until that temporary system is revised. Please read instructions there. Thanks.

When NEW FORUMS have been created the permissions must be set for each user manually. Sadly there is no 'automatic' process available for this on this free board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When a new member registers an automatic email is created informing you (all admins -> your personal email account) of this event. The account admins@board77.com* (yahoo email no longer in use as of March07,2005) does not receive a notify.
If you hit the link provided in that automatically generated email to B77 the user is made active but he/she will not have access to the forums due to the fact that we're a private MB and that there are individual access setting for all the different fora.

To approve someone new, please follow these steps

- go to user admin permissions and update all the permission to access the fora (see updated info above). RP IDs only have access to the RP forum. Re Thinking of England forum: all new users must request permissions for that forum, stating in their request via PM to an admin that they are over the age of 18. A log is kept in Done list & England list

- go to user admin management, and make the new user active (tickbox almost at the bottom of that page)

- log into the B77.com email account and send from there a welcome/you've been activated message to the new user. (see samples sent in separate folder there for ref)
If you send email through the B77board by e.g. hitting the memberlist, selecting member and selecting email, no record of this will be shown in the B77 email account. At the most, you have the option of having that email sent to you as a copy but that will go to your personal account. Please don't do this but use the board77.com email account instead and after sending file all correspondance immediately, so only 'pending' stuff remains in the inbox :)

Alternative ID's for RPers … are not listed on the management threads in this forum but since the information is up to full disclosure, it can be obtained Alternate character registry (just check for consistency)

.. and you're done :D

Last edited by *Alandriel* on Sat 19 Mar , 2005 10:38 am, edited 18 times in total.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Dec , 2004 11:46 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I recieved an email about ellienor signing up in my personal email and followed the link and activated her account. I've set up her user permissions. She's on the board now (I guess she was ready to get on here ;) ), but I haven't been able to send her an official "Welcome to B77" email from the B77 yahoo account because I don't know her email address. How on earth can I find that? You'd think this would be a no brainer. :roll:

Also, you're wanting us to save copies of that email in the email account just for record keeping?

Also, were we going to allow her to the confidential stuff? I haven't let her in since I wasn't sure.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Dec , 2004 9:32 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Eru - if you go to user admin management you can see all the stats a new member has provided, incl. their email addy.

For the time being (unless otherwise stated as e.g. will be the case with Breogan) all new members have full access except to Confidental.

I leave it in your capable hands. :)

I also got a notify in my private email re her registraton and have forwarded that now to the B77 addy so we have a record. I would suggest that all emails be saved (house-cleaning can be done if necessary at some point in the future but it's good for future admins to have some references :wink:)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Dec , 2004 7:18 pm

So do I need to let her into the other discussion forum...I only let her into the symposium one...or have you already done that?

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Dec , 2004 7:52 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I had wanted to leave it in your capable hands (nothing like practise :wink:) but seeing the confusion I've ammended her access settings now. ellienor has now access to all fora except Confidential.

What I'd like you to do though Eru, is send her the email ex B77 account

PS: Breogan, the newest member is taken care of. There's no email for I had her on IM as I updated the settings. As requested (by her), Breogan only has access to the 'social' stuff and not Eyes&Ears (Confidential and Discussion).

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 8:24 am
Tricksy Elf!

I thought that was the default for newpeople ;)

Can somebody explain to me how to move threads. I think we need a clean out of the voteing threads and stick them in deleted threads etc. Just because they really don't serve a purpose anymore. Exceptions being where no decision is made or if somebody is turned down, just so we have a record next time it comes up.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 4:06 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Moving/locking/deleting threads

At the very bottom of each forum you Admins can see a link that says 'moderate this forum'. Click on that and a new screen pops up with all the tools.

Easy... peasy :mrgreen:

also - when you have a thread open, at the left side bottom you have some buttons for lock/delete/move :D

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 10:25 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

First post updated

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 6:12 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Alandriel - I checked with Jn when I first did the permissions for the outside forum, and she said she wanted view and read for the Jury Room on for now, so that she could get comments and such.

I'll take care of reversing all those permissions when the time comes, but for now, people should be able to view and read the jury room :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 6:21 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Thanks Estel for the clarification. Updated in first post :)

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 2:42 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I've had a few PMs about new members who have been told they were approved but have not been able to log in. In each case, the permissions was done, but the account hadn't been activated.

Just thought I'd make a quick post about it - friendly reminder type thing - gotta go into management and activate the User Account as well as do the permissions ;)

(God knows, Eru had to remind me enough times when I kept mucking up new registrations :P )

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 1:44 am

Thanks for reminding Estel...it was probably me that was screwing things up.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 2:18 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

eh? :Q But you were my Invite tutor!! You can't muck up :P ;)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 10:11 am
Milk and kisses

Btw, I thought you could only Activate a user by clicking on the link in the relevant email, but I've recently discovered (go me :D) that once a user has registered, you can also go to the User list, select that user, open Manage and click on Activate (it's towards the bottom of the list). Sometimes it's more convenient than opening another window for the email. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Re: Approving new members (process) etc. / update Mar 14
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 12:04 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Berhael: I hope you do no longer click on the email link. The user although activated by clicking on the link does NOT get access.
from first post in this thread wrote:

When a new member registers an automatic email is created informing you (all admins -> your personal email account) of this event. The account admins@board77.com* (yahoo email no longer in use as of March07,2005) does not receive a notify.

If you hit the link provided in that automatically generated email to B77 the user is made active but he/she will not have access to the forums due to the fact that we're a private MB and that there are individual access setting for all the different fora.
Just for clarification ;)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2005 11:13 pm

Ummm...clicking on the link has worked for me many times in a row. Clicking the link certainly DOES make the user active. I just did two user activations that way. Sorry, but the first post is wrong. ;)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 7:44 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Eruname: clicking on the link DOES make the user active, I'm not saying it doesn't. However, it DOES NOT do forum permissions - those have to be done manually.
Just clicking on the link sends the standart phpbb message (which we have no control over) that user has now been activated, which is fine really, though a more 'personal' message perhaps pointing to the Welcome forum and it's 'Comprehensive guide to B77' might be better. I'm not saying you have to. I'm just suggesting it might be better IF the Admin have enough time.

Just as long as you are aware that by clicking on the link you still have to do forum permission manually..... ;) Otherwise the user can log in, but can't see or post in any forums.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 12:41 am
Living in hope

So I just screwed up (after 24 whole hours)--LadyofBoxClocks. I got the email, clicked on the link thinking it would take me to somewhere where I could find out more, and was told that I had activated her account.

She's not invited, as far as I can tell.

Do we have a standard email for this situation--for people who register but weren't invited? Should I send it?

I have to go make dinner now, but I'll check back later. I haven't looked everywhere yet--if there's a boilerplate email I'll find it then and send it.

And she needs to be deactiuvated--I'll figure that out then as well.

SORRY. . . .

Edit: Estel told me how to deactivate the account, and I've done so. I'll figure out the rest later this evening.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 3:59 pm
Milk and kisses

Prim, there's a template email here:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... rd77#27695

However, I'm not sure of what the situation with regards to invites is... are we reopening them? Do we tell them to wait until we have the constitution ready? :scratch

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 4:22 pm
Living in hope

Thanks, Ber! But Griffy's handling it--she's a friend.

As for invites--I think a lot of people would like to see them reopen, given that the constitution process is likely to be longer than many expected.

The problem is, how do we do that? The decision to close seemed to happen organically--I don't remember a vote being taken. But just in three or four weeks we've evolved away from doing that. Yet we don't have a real process for big decisions in place. And I know there are some people who believe we should remain closed for as long as it takes.

I don't agree, myself; I think being closed at all is bad for the board, and being this closed, to the point where no one new can come in by any process, only makes it worse.

But what do we do? A poll would only be advisory. But if a poll showed that there was wide support for reopening to invites in a measured way, with a quota of threads per day or per poster, would it be justifiable just to go ahead?

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: