board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

one.com

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject: one.com
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 3:33 am

Darlings -

I got the following request from Ara-anna today.
Quote:
The One.com organization, the global hunger/poverty/aids list, I was wondering if we could sticky a thread so people could sign the list etc...
I told her that I would check with the rest of you guys and get back to her. I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I am all for supporting a good cause, which this seems to be. But on the other hand, if we do this for her, do we start a precedent where everyone who has a good cause in mind gets a stickied thread. What do you guys think?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 3:43 am
Living in hope

I hate to sound harsh, but I think this is a can of worms we can't open. Ara-anna should start an unstickied thread. Even three or four stickied threads for good causes would really clog the forums—and I'm sure most of us have good causes we would love to champion here.

In any case, at present this place is frequented by fewer than 100 people. There are probably places where she could reach far more people with the same effort.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 6:13 am
Triathlete

I agree. People ignore stickies, but a thread that keeps popping up because the people are talking about interesting things in them, will be more likely read.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 10:23 am
WYSIWYG

I agree about not stickying it.

Mainly in order not to create precedent, but also, though it may sound heartless, I think we shouldn't officially promote organisations which collect donations (ok, I don't know one.com, so I'm not sure if they do this, just can't imagine anything else), even though it's a good cause.
(A sticky IMO would mean "the board" endorses it officially and asks its members to donate.)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 5:39 pm

It sounds like we're all pretty much in agreement about this. I'll wait a little bit to see whether Nin checks in, and then I'll right back to Ara-anna and let her know what we think.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Jun , 2005 6:56 am
Per aspera ad astra

Sorry - I agree too about not stickying. (Because I am a member of Amnesty International and if ever would want to sticky their emergency actions, and then someone else defends animal rights etc etc.)

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Jun , 2005 2:21 pm

Good. We are all in agreement. I will write to Ara-anna and let her know.

Thanks, darlings. :)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Jun , 2005 5:40 pm

I have written to Ara-anna and told her that we unanimously agreed that it would not be appropriate to sticky such a thread. I also shared laureanna's observation that people are often more likely to read "regular" threads then stickies anyway.

:)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Jun , 2005 6:21 pm
WYSIWYG

I've seen a link to this on another site, though, only it was for one.org, not one.com!
Not that that would make me change my mind about stickying it, but it does make the site look at lot less commercial, seeing it probably asks for donations. ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: