We need a contingency plan!

Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 77 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 4:42 am
Triathlete

dave wrote:
The backup is a database backup of your entire board this is all members, posts pm's etc etc
Dave, are you saying that whomever has a copy of the database backup has a copy of all PMs? If that is the case, we need to let the members know that their private messages are not 100% private.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 8:58 am

laureanna wrote:
Dave, are you saying that whomever has a copy of the database backup has a copy of all PMs? If that is the case, we need to let the members know that their private messages are not 100% private.
YES, if you have the database, are familiar with MySql and know where to look in the raw tables then all PMs will be in there, all users, all threads etc etc.

And for Privacy on a phpBB board regarding PM,s you can install (although not here) this hack which will encrypt PMs so that they cannot be viewed in the database

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 9:19 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

:cool: Thanks for the input and the fair promise to stay around Dave :D

The biggest problem though seems to be to get the backup in the first place. 5 emails later.... still no reply from the boys at phpbb. I really don't know what more to do :(

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 12:56 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
YES, if you have the database, are familiar with MySql and know where to look in the raw tables then all PMs will be in there, all users, all threads etc etc.
Actually, I think that't good. This way, if someone presents a PM as proof for harassment, for example, it's can't be said that it's not real or so.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 10:30 pm

Alandriel wrote:
The biggest problem though seems to be to get the backup in the first place. 5 emails later.... still no reply from the boys at phpbb. I really don't know what more to do :(

When they do the backup it is normal for the board to be shut down for the duration, with a title saying summin like "Backup in Progress please try back later", doesnt take that long tough

And i think you mean "the boys at phpbber" as i dont think the guys at phpbb have anything to do with the www.phpbber.com site

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 1:08 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Sit back and wait... heheeh.... I think that 5th email finally woke them up. This is what I got in my email box this morning:
Quote:
Please send payment of bla bla bla to bla bla bla (using paypal)

Next, send another email to bla bla bla with the following information:

url to your forum
admin user
admin password

sqldump will be created within the next 24-72 hours after payment has been received.
:D about time!
So, tomorrow I'll be sending the info and stuff as required and my guess is (just like Dave told us too) that the board most likely will be taken offline for some time while they're doing the backup.

Rangers: please make a global announcement about possible down-time and advise me if it's ok to make this ball roll tomorrow morning UK time. Just exactly when they'll make the backup and if the board will be offline from when-to-when, I'm afraid we won't get a straight answer from them but at least we can 'warn' the members up ahead.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 2:45 pm

Thanks, Viv. :love:

And thanks to Dave, as well. :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 3:49 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I just put up an announcement Alandriel....not a very good one one, but it gets the point across. ;)

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:01 pm
of Vinyamar

Thanks Eru, I meant to get to it but I forgot.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:05 pm

Whenever you send the info can you ask if they might have an idea when they'll be performing the backup so we have an idea of when the board could be offline Alandriel?

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 6:16 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Eru: I can certainly do that and ask - through I hold no illusions they'll actually come back with a time/date nor that they would actually do it when they say they'll do it ;) Thanks for making the annoucement :) I'll pay tomorrow morning and see what happens. If I hear anything, I'll let you know of course

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 6:30 pm

Can I help you out with any of the payment?

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 6:31 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm not sure if the board needs to go down at all.

If they're just doing a mysqldump, it should take seconds. Unless the tables are huge (which they're not) or their hardware is from the eighties :D

On the other hand, I don't know if they keep the data for all their messageboards in one database, or if each has its own. If the former, it could be a bit more complicated.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 6:57 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Nope Eru, no chance! It's my honour as I said before but thanks for offering anyways. :D The $/£ exchange rate is rather ok ;)

Jude: would be wonderful if you're right :) As far as I've heard they have one huge database and have to extract our board somehow. Frankly, I don't want to know how :help: Let's just hope it will be swift and painless :)

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 7:28 pm

Jude wrote:
I'm not sure if the board needs to go down at all.
It does depend on how they do it, i should have said in my original post

"When they do the backup it is possible they may shut your board down for a few minutes"

instead of

"When they do the backup it is normal for the board to be shut down for the duration"

It will probably go on without you even noticing, but if they do shut you down for 1 min or 1 hour at least you will be fore-warned...............

If they just have to extract your Sql Database from their complete forums database then you wont notice it.

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 7:31 pm

truehobbit wrote:
Wow, you joined just so you could help us? :Q

That's awesome - thanks! :D

(Judging from your avatar, you rather look like LidlessEyes! :suspicious: :P ;) )
Yes, i couldnt post as a guest so i had to join

I cant remember how i came across your site re: backups it was with google i think, just clicked on it and read the thread, thought i could give some insight so i joined.....

Call it the Nerd in me as i spend a lot of time at work on PCs, the net and programming etc

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 7:46 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Well - I'm sure glad it brought you here. Hope you'll meander about a bit :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 77 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Jump to: