The Last Homely Site on the Web

Switching off individual permissions - usergroups

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 69 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
truehobbit
Post subject: Switching off individual permissions - usergroups
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 6:21 pm
WYSIWYG

I've started switching permissions off so we can start working with usergroups.

I thought I'd just work down the userlist, and in case someone wants to help out and click a few buttons, I'll keep this thread up to date, saying how far I've got.

So, currently, all members are fixed up to (and including):

Ithilien

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you feel like switching buttons, too, please update the thread as well, so the next person won't have to look for where to start! :)

It's a hell of a lot of work clicking those zillions of buttons, I find - and very easy to overlook one!
To make sure you caught them all, a good way is to click on that user's permissions again: if you did it right it takes you to the "simple mode" panel.

Oh, and if a user has permission for ToE - don't forget to add them to the ToE usergroup! ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 7:16 pm

I'd be happy to help, but I want to make sure that I understand correct what needs to be done. Is it correct that everyone already belongs to the proper groups and its just a question of turning off all their individual permissions? Or do people need to be added to the appropriate groups as well?

Also, should I perhaps start at the back of the alphabet to avoid the possibility of working on the same people at the same time? Or something like that?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 8:19 pm
Living in hope

Voronwe, the England members need to be added to the Thinking of England group. Otherwise, everybody is in all the groups they need.

A reminder: Jn and Wilko185 are in the "Special Permissions" group and their permissions have been set individually. Don't turn off the individual permissions for these two people, or they'll be locked out of the board.

Voronwe, the members are actually all sorted by user ID (basically, join date) unless you re-sort them—which maybe Hobby did.

Hobby, which list are you working from and in which order?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 9:35 pm
WYSIWYG

I'm just working down the list as it appears when you click on "user list", i.e. the one sorted by ID/join date.

You'd have to remember whether the person has ToE permission or not, while you are at it.

I'd find it helpful if you'd not start anywhere else, because then it would be too complicated to know who is already done.
Or maybe if you say you do everybody starting with a certain letter, then that is clear, too.

But basically my idea was to edit the first post to say how far you've got, for the next person to go on from there.

For example, Alandriel (can't be done because of software bug), Ber, Leoba, gimli, Farawen and Ithilien are done.

So, if you want to start now, you can pick the person after Ithilien.

And, say you do four people, you just edit the last name you did into this list.

(Btw, I'm not sure what to do with admins - they can't be changed I think - Prim? :help: )

Sorry this is so confusing, I thought it was easy. :oops:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 10:16 pm

Quote:
So, if you want to start now, you can pick the person after Ithilien
My question is, what if Prim and I or you and Nin, or Laureanna and Prim, or some other combination, both went to do the task at the same time, not knowing that the other had started. Wouldn't that be a recipe for confusion?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 11:26 pm
Living in hope

I think it would be OK, Voronwe—say if you and I did it, and you submitted corrected permissions, and then a minute later I did, mine would overwrite yours, but they would be the same so it wouldn't matter.

Duplication of effort might matter.

You know, there are 10 pages in the default username display; maybe we could divide it up by page number?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 May , 2005 12:43 am
Triathlete

Hey, we worked that out in my chess thread. Just warn people, then come back later and edit your thread, like this:

I'm next, and I'm about to start with the person after Ithilien, and will be doing this for about 15 minutes.

{then I hit submit, wait a minute or two and hit refresh, in case someone else got the crazy idea to post at the exact same time, then I do my work, then I post an edit saying I'm done.}

EDIT: I'm done for now.

Here's what I did to lessen the number of clicks. I suppose I could have looked up all the great instructions posted by others, but Noooooo, I had to do it myself. :roll:

1. Open User List to get list of users and figure out whom to do next.
2. Open second window with User Admin Permissions, and type in victim's name.
3. Note if victim is TOE user. If so, go back to User List, and click on box by victim's name. Go to bottom left of User List at "Select one" box, and select "Add to a group" then select TOE.
4. Now back to victim's permission list. It will be on advanced mode, with a zillion boxes. Note that if all the items in each line are the same value (all ON or all OFF), for the whole page, it can go to simple mode. So click ON to all the stickies, then OFF to the few ONs in the Jury room and archive, ON/OFF to the There and Back Again voting, you should have everything uniform (takes about 10 clicks). Hit "submit", then go back and look up the victim's permission list again. If you did it right, it should be in simple mode. Now switch all permissions to disallow (about 13 clicks). Check at the top of the page to make sure the person is in All Members and, if they want it, TOE. Hit submit again.
5. Select another victim.

This takes about 2 minutes per victim, once you get the hang of it.

I'm assuming all members have been added to All Members already, and I'm assuming the Jury Room members are already added to that group. It's just the TOE that has to be added in, as noticed.

I'm not sure what to do with admins, so I skipped over Truehobbit. :whistle:

DONE THRU EARENDIL81

Last edited by laureanna on Sun 15 May , 2005 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 May , 2005 1:19 am

That'll work. :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 May , 2005 8:30 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
Note that if all the items in each line are the same value (all ON or all OFF), for the whole page, it can go to simple mode.
:Q :Q :Q
:D Wow, that's a brilliant find, laureanna! :D

Yes, that should make it easier - I knew you had to check whether it goes to simple mode to see if all are off, but I'd never have thought of that!
(Although 23 clicks altogether isn't so much less work - but much less monotonous! ;) )

Yes, admins have no "off" option - so I think we should leave them alone. ;)

Thanks for helping! :)

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 May , 2005 8:40 pm
Living in hope

That's brilliant, laureanna!

And for a while, we'll just have to update a departing admin's permissions as soon as we de-admin them.

(Why do I say "we"? I'm next! :bawl: )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:22 am
Triathlete

I'm going to go muck about in the user lists, so don't anyone else get the urge while I'm in there.

EDIT: OK, I just added everyone on the first THREE pages of the user list, who were Yes for TOE, to the TOE user list. I didn't work on the individual on/off switches for everything else.

One question though. How do you get people off of a group, if you have put them there accidently? Or if they change their mind? Someone must have been delisted from the Jury Room by now. How was it done?

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 8:55 am
Per aspera ad astra

Okay, I'll try my hand on the list.

Deactivated individual permission up to and including Canamarth.

I just let myself aside.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 2:04 pm
WYSIWYG

Hehe, I love it when I suggest doing a job and then others do the actual hard work! :D

laureanna, to remove someone from a group, either go to "usergroups" at the top of this page, select a group and hit "view information" - you will see all the members and a box to tick at the right hand side of the page. At the bottom of the page you can "remove selected".
When you're in the admin panel, you can also access the group management panel by clicking on the group name from the info on any member in the user list. Where it says "Jury Room", for example, among the groups someone is a member of, clicking on this will open the management panel for the Jury Room-usergroup.

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 3:24 pm
Triathlete

Whew! I thought "remove selected" meant "remove from the face of the earth" so I wasn't even going to try it!

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:20 pm
WYSIWYG

That's what I thought, too, when I first saw it! :D
Prim explained to me when we were ready to free Holby from the Bike Racks and I asked her to do it, because I didn't dare. :)
(So if that's wrong, blame Prim! :P ;) )

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 8:00 pm
Triathlete

****click. whirrrrr. Accessing!***

OK, TOE is done! All of the people who want permission to see it are in the group now, I think ....

So the new way to efficiently fix everyone's remaining permissions is:

1. Notify people on this list that you are about to start editing.
2. Open User List to get list of users and figure out whom to do next.
3. Open second window with User Admin Permissions, and type in victim's name.
4. The victim's permission list will be on advanced mode, with a zillion boxes. Note that if all the items in each line are the same value (all ON or all OFF), for the whole page, it can go to simple mode. So click ON to all the stickies, then OFF to the few ONs in the Jury room and archive, ON/OFF to the There and Back Again voting, you should have everything uniform (takes about 10 clicks). Also check the Thinking of England. Make everything ON or everything OFF, just so the line is consistant.
5. Hit "submit", then go back and look up the victim's permission list again. If you did it right, it should be in simple mode.
6. Now switch all permissions to disallow (about 13 clicks).
7. Check at the top of the page to make sure the person is in All Members and, if they want it, TOE.
8. Hit submit again.
9. Select another victim.

This takes about 2 minutes per victim, once you get the hang of it.

I'm assuming all members have been added to All Members already, and I'm assuming the Jury Room members are already added to that group. And all of the TOE members have been added too, assuming I didn't screw up.

I'm not sure what to do with admins, so I skipped over Truehobbit.

DONE THRU ... CANAMARTH

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 1:20 am
WYSIWYG

I added myself to ToE first thing! :P (By way of guinea-pig. :D )

Thanks for working at it, laureanna! :)

DONE THRU TEHERIN

(Ok, that's just two people, but better than nothing. ;) )

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 May , 2005 1:51 am
WYSIWYG

Done through Arunakhor - end of page 2! :D

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:32 am
Per aspera ad astra

Did not get much time:

Done through: ellienor

A little bug, which I did not have the time to fix: The_Seekers has been added to All_Users, but is only a RP character.....

Edited: Took The Seekers out of all users!!

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Jun , 2005 9:44 am
Per aspera ad astra

Today done through Impenitent - I know it's only three persons....

I stopped at Jnyusa, because I saw she was not member of the "All Users" group - is that a glitch or have goddesses a category of their own?

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 69 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: