board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Movies and Music - Should they be renamed?

Post Reply   Page 7 of 8  [ 158 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 7:14 pm
Waiting for winter

I don’t want to demean anyone’s contribution to these discussions, but I have to admit that I find the quirky, eccentric and unusual titles to be much more appealing then the straightforward normal ones. I don’t know one bit of Latin, and although I’ve heard the translations a dozen times, I still can’t remember what they mean. Despite that, I like them very much. I don’t find them to be pretentious in any way, shape or form - only different, and different is good, imo.

I can see changing them for brevity and clarity, but please, don’t “normalize” them. Either “Opus Artem” or “Ars pro gratia artis” works for me. I think it has been adequately proven the “La Camerata” is the best title possible for music!

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 11:47 pm
A green apple painted red

Jnyusa wrote:
TED: Art for Art's sake.
Yes, but who's Art?
:blackeye

Actually, Ars pro gratia artis means Art for free, my arse.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 11:54 pm
Insolent Pup

I don't think the movie forum should be changed to just "movies", but the current title is so obnoxious to read.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 11:58 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Art for free, my arse.

:LMAO:

Yes, 'pro gratia arses' might fit us a bit better!

You know, the forum name I've really been dying to change is m77t and geek. It should be m77t and g33k.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 3:08 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Why g33k?

There was, actually, quite a bit of discussion about the name of that forum before I created it. I'll see if I can find the thread if you want.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 3:18 am

You don't have to bump the thread, Estel. I was speaking half in jest.

The explanation will lose something in translation. I always read m77t as moot, not meet. Since the two o's have been turned into 7's, when I see the two e's I always want to turn them into 3's.

Jn

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 3:39 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Jny :Q You've been dying to have more netspeak on the boards?!?!?!

You?

and netspeak?!?!

faints :shock:

:Wooper:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 3:42 am

I have my days. :cool:

Jn

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 12:45 pm
of Vinyamar

I quite like "Ars pro gratia artis" but I think it would suit the Category title better that the Movies Forum. That said, nobody has yet suggested a really popular alternative for Movies so I'm going to throw out a few for consideration.

Pass the Popcorn
Poetry in Motion
Cinema Verite
The Picture Show
Pix and Flix
Cine

I'm not saying any of these are great, but I'm just offering alternatives.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 2:23 pm

Alatar, I would be happy with any of those.

Jn

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 2:45 pm
Milk and kisses

I like "The Picture Show" or "Pass the popcorn" :)
I like our Latin titles, but they're a tad of a mouthful, particularly Dicisne...

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 2:46 pm
Another bright red day

I like the Picture Show and Cinema Verite. The latter would fit in nicely with the foreign language title theme.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 3:54 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Ahem.
Jnyusa wrote:
OT: Now it is my turn to apologize to Alandriel if she is the one who named the board. I know that she started the board but I could have sworn that in the collaborations of the moment it was Farawen who came up with the name. We have to get one of them in here and find out. How the name came about should be inside one of the history threads because that's a question likely to be asked a lot!

I think it’s a good idea, too! :) From The Guide to b77 (or Anthriel’s “baby”, as it is commonly known...)
Quote:
The History of board77(often abbreviated b77)

Where did you get that name?

Alandriel answers:
Quote:
In the days of the petition (Oct 04) I decided to open a free board on phpbb as a communication platform as discussion via email amongst so many people proved very cumbersome. And so, on October 27th, 2004 I signed up… and then had to come up with a name. For about half an hour I sat there in front of my screen… a name… a name… I didn't want an obvious reference to Tolkien. Just something.. welll… simple, innocuous. I went to make a cup of tea and then the number 77 just popped into my head. It's neither my birth-year nor did I ever think we'd get stick with 77 members. It just happened, call it serendipity – like so many other things just happen here
Jn, it is encouraging to think that our brainwaves have actually traveled the same pathway.. Yeah! I had the same idea as Jn! (There’s hope for me yet…) :cheers

Tinwe wrote:
I don’t find them to be pretentious in any way, shape or form - only different, and different is good, imo.
Different IS good, you awesome man. Have I told you lately how awesome you are? :love:

Estel wrote:
but I must admit, this has angered and hurt me - how callously this is being discussed. To have so much work and effort dismissed out of hand.... please tell me you understand why I feel so strongly about this

From page ONE of this discussion…
I wrote:
I'm kind of mulling over the thought that we should leave it, just to honor the firstcomers' decisions about this board.

Alatar, “Pass the Popcorn” makes me smile. If it were all new, and we were just creating these fora and I was asked to vote for something, that would be it. Just the proper amount of silliness for me…

However, Estel’s reaction to this has cemented my opinion here… no more mulling involved, for me. ;)

I DO want to honor the firstcomers to b77; I am somewhat concerned that all this “in with the new, out with the old” stuff makes the “old” seem… well, not as important, somehow. And it is.

The firstcomers here did an enormous amount of work, and put in an impressive amount of time, to put down the foundations of b77. We have all had a chance to build on their work, and this board is definitely different than it was then. But I want to honor our foundations.. and the efforts of people like Estel. :hug:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 5:41 pm
WYSIWYG

Well said, Anthy! :hug:

There was nothing callous or disrespectful in the way this discussion was started, but you are right that there's the danger of rearranging all the furniture with every new generation, making the people who have been here before and made that arrangement feel uncomfortable.

On the other hand, if a majority wants a change, then we'll have a change!
Democratic board and all that.

And of course it's perfectly alright for anyone to suggest changes - because we all own the board equally!

So, I think if someone suggests making a needless change, they'll notice by the lack of response. If someone happens to hit on something that is a problem for many, though, the response will be accordingly, and we should be grateful for them having had the enthusiasm to speak up.

My problem with this discussion at the moment is that it seems the opinion is very divided - I haven't counted, but I think there are just as many people who are happy with the names as those who are unhappy with them.

So, I can't tell whether there's a genuine need to have a change.

How about this: we ask whoever came up with the title for movies how they feel about this discussion - if they don't mind, then, if a majority says "this option is really better than the one we have" we change it. If no alternative option gets particular enthusiasm, we leave it, for the time being, rather than pick just anything only to change it.

That said, I like "Pass the popcorn" (even though I hate it when people eat popcorn in the cinema) and "Poetry in Motion" - reference to a silly old song, but that makes it very nice, IMO.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 7:51 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I like the Latin. I don't read a word of the language, but it reminds me that I'm on an unusual board. I kept out of the discussion for a bit while I was thinking, but I've come to the conclusion that although I'm the sort of person who ought to like it the least, I'd be genuinely upset to see it go. :)

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 8:07 pm

Question: How many people could tell you the name of the movies forum off the top of their head? I've been here for several months now and I don't have a clue. I suspect most others wouldn't either. To me, that's a sign of a poor title choice.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 9:48 pm
Milk and kisses

I always call it Dicisne. So - Latin, but shortened. Which tells me (stress on "me", myself, my personal opinion) that we're ok with the Latin but it's a bit long. ;)

EDIT - That is, of course, the name of the section. The film forum is Vidistine... and no, I didn't remember that. :roll: So... maybe changing it wouldn't be a bad idea. Although it doesn't bother me to keep it as it is. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 10:21 pm
Another bright red day

Vidistine nuper noventes imagines buenes, ja? Though I believe most people refer to it as just "Movies."

I suppose you have a point, but I think Hobby is right that we should get the input of whoever named it. Not that they should have sole say, but it's important.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 10:36 pm
Insolent Pup

I don't like Pass the Popcorn. Too cosy sounding for me.

I'm like yova, I'd have no idea what the title of the movie forum is if you asked me when I wasn't looking at it. This is the only reason I agree with the idea to change it. I can remember the title for music (la camarata-- I can't spell it though), books (literary rambles), and I kind of remember the main forum title-- but I don't use it much. Movies, though, no idea. Vidistine something something Latin something Latin Latin.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 4:08 am
Try to stay perky

I adore Pass the popcorn! It's mildly silly, indicates we can take the piss, it's friendly...

If there's a serious decision to change the name of the forum, I'd like this option on the poll.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 8  [ 158 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Jump to: