board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Possible Board Downtime

Locked   Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Administrator
Post subject: Possible Board Downtime
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 3:44 pm

Alandriel has received confirmation that the phpbber admin will be doing a backup for this board. She is planning on sending all the necessary information for them to do so tomorrow. It has come to our attention that while they are performing the backup, the board may be shut down. If at some point you cannot access the board, it is likely that the backup is being performed and there is no cause to worry.

Please PM or email with any questions or concerns. :)
b77_ad at yahoo dot co dot uk

Alatar, Jude, and LalaithUrwen

yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 3:49 pm

Any idea on a time/date range?

Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 3:59 pm
of Vinyamar

More than likely we're looking at Wednesday Morning UK time.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:04 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Well, that's when Alandriel will send the information. Hopefully they'll tell us when they plan on doing the backup. I'll ask Alandriel if she'll ask that whenever she sends the info.

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 6:55 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I'll inlude a request for more precise info tomorrow in my email but I have a hunch they won't answer. If I do hear anything, then of course I'll let you know asap.

As for range: the mail from them said within 24-72h after receipt of payment; so that would mean anytime from Thursday 21July to Saturday 23rd July though another hunch tells me they're not going to backup on a Saturday ;)

laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 7:53 pm
Triathlete

I'd like to point out to the more paranoid members of our community that a full backup is a full backup - everything is recorded - including private messages (PMs) - and accessible to whomever has access to the backup. I don't know who will have access to the backup, and it is extremely unlikely that anyone will choose to read your PMs, but they are readable.

Well, I'm back.

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:05 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

A clarification to the above comment laureanna.

Yes - you're right the backup would include all PMs everybody ever has sent. However that is not accessible to any of us here currently as a special sub-software would have to be installed in order to extract that info.

We will be using the backup I'm about to receive to 'test-drive' any future possible move to our own place. But even that won't happen till we have a techie committee assembled and a few other things ironed out first. Until that day arrives, the copy will be safely stored with me (a total non-techie, trust me ;) ) on a CD and put into the safe :D until such a time we're ready to try and see if a move is possible and desired.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:11 pm

Wouldn't it be ironic if the board ends up being down when the party was supposed to take place?

:cheers

Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:13 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Can you ask if the backup will be in the format of an .sql file?

And where do we sign up for the techie committee?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:14 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Wouldn't it be ironic if the board ends up being down when the party was supposed to take place?

:cheers
If that happens, we can always move the party to theb77experiment board! :D

[ img ]

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:17 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Jude: I was told in the email I got
Quote:
sqldump will be created within the next 24-72 hours after payment has been received.
Now I'm sure you'll understand a hell of a lot better what that means than I. As for when the committee etc. - there will be an announcement in the business forum in due time and yes, I know you're keen and I was going to ask you along when the time comes. We need all the help from tech savvy people we can get. Be patient though a little please, first a few other things need to be settled ;)

Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:35 pm
Daydream Believer

So how long is the down time supposed to take? It starts after the payment is recieved? what payment? Around the 21 of July? Is that for the whole day or from the 21 - 23 for the complete 72 hours?

I am sorry for so many questions, but I am confuzzeled.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:41 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

We really don't know Ara-anna. A new member dave, said that it should only take a few minutes though.

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:57 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ara-Anna: this has been somewhat a long-running topic (the backup that is) and is spread over several threads so it's easy to be confused. Let me start from the beginning :)

As it stands, or stood rather, there is no way to backup this board. Not by any of us here. The phpbb people did say cryptically that backing up might be available in the near future to all free phpbb users like us. But when - no one was ever able to get an answer out of them.
Then - back in April the tech help people said there is a way to backup, but it would be a one time kind of thing and it would cost $25.- (you can read it up in the tech help thread here. We were busy building this board and so the question got a bit sidelined until June, when we saw that we would be opening this board for good and we might seriously think about moving eventually to our own place. That's when I started bugging them again about the backup. It's taken from then to yesterday, when I finally got an email answer from them that they will do the backup and gave me the details on where and how to pay. (The $25.- is really a non-issue here and who pays it but someone has to and since I'm the one who started this place - in a way - it's my honor to do so ;) - no strings attached, no fear :) )

Wether or not we're actually going to have a downtime no one knows for sure. However, some tech savvy posters here have pointed out that this is a possibility. The phpbb tech people have not confirmed there will be a downtime and although I will ask them in my payment confirmation email that goes out tomorrow I don't think (from previous experience with their communication) I don't expect they'll answer.

So, I've asked the Ranger to make a Global Annoucement as a possible alert in case it happens, so that people don't panic and jump to all sorts of conlusions we've been hacked or what-have-you-not ;)

Hopefully the whole thing will pass without us even noticing anything, which of course is also a possibility.

The backup first and foremost (for the time being) will be just that: a backup copy for us in case something does go wrong (over which we have little control being here on this free board). It will also serve as a 'test-base' if me make the decision to move to our own place - something which has been discussed at length here before but which only really now becomes a possible viability through having a backup. Without it, we would be almost unable to move threads and posts (except manually which would be an extremely tedious and long process to say the least.

We're not moving anytime soon yet. Before we even begin that topic again, the Charter needs to be finished totally and ratified and then anther member discussion needs to take place as well as putting a committee together.

All in due time ;) And meanwhile we have at least a backup :D

Hope that answers your questions.

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 12:49 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Just to give you the latest update. Payment went through and I got an email back in acknowledgment. Not much additional info except
Quote:
backup will be created and customized within the next 48 hours.
So, keep fingers crossed we won't feel a thing :)

Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2005 3:50 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Well, it's been 48 hours. I assume the backup has been done? I didn't notice any downtime :cheerleader:

[ img ]

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2005 5:12 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I have no idea actually. No downtime I saw, nor did I get an email from them or anything. I guess it will be Monday most probably. If I don't hear anything by Monday evening here, I'll :poke: them again.

Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 1:38 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

So long as it doesn't happen in the middl

[ img ]

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Jul , 2005 11:49 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

You may have notices some hiccups. The backup has happened but I only got the emails from phpbb this morning for some reason (perhaps also problems with yahoo or in my case BT as the service provider)
Quote:
we encounter some problems, because the size of your forum
give us couple of days to fix this issue.
thanks (Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:03:19 -0400 (EDT))
and then
Quote:
Your backup will be uploaded into our server 60 minutes from this email sent. Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:21:16 -0400 (EDT)
They've given me an url where the backup supposedly is located, valid for the next 72 hours but when I try accessing it it tells me HTTP404-error, page not found. I've emailed phpbb again about this, so it's likely we might have some more hiccups possibly over the next couple of days - OR, which I hope, they managed the backup just fine but there is a problem with the page where it now supposedly is.

Just to keep you in the loop of what's happening.

dave
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jul , 2005 12:02 am

It may be an Internet problem and not phbber problem

You should try over the next 24 hours

Also try doing a CTRL F5 to refresh your browser cache

Is the url they gave you an http:// address

or is it an ftp:// address

??

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »