board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Another vote on deleting that wilko thread after all?

Locked   Page 1 of 6  [ 114 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Ethel
Post subject: Another vote on deleting that wilko thread after all?
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 3:52 am
The Pirate's Daughter

Hi! I'm your guinea pig for the evening!

There are some people that think a certain thread started by wilko - check it out in the BikeRacks forum - should maybe have been deleted after all. It's really not a question of destroying B77's precious history. It's that that thread was a lot more like an invite thread than anything else that has been left to stand.

And even for an invite thread it was nasty.

So, anyway, some people would like a re-vote on deleting the thread. It will take a minimum of five people agreeing even to get the vote in motion. I'm starting the thread to discuss that because it feels like someone has to, and I'm pretty much toast around here anyway.

What say you? Is the thread too precious to consider deleting? Do you cherish it? Do you want it to stand as a legacy of what B77 is all about?

Or would you consider deleting it? This is the thread for rounding up a committee of five who would like to force a vote for deleting it. Yes, I'm aware that I'm pissing into the wind. Thank you. Just trying to help, ladies and gentlemen.

:):):)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:04 am

As I indicated in the other thread in the bike racks, I will support having a revote on the issue, for the reasons that I stated there (primarily because wilko himself has changed his mind, after it was his input that strongly influenced the decision in the first place.

But Ethel, you misstate the process somewhat. First, five people need to declare a willingness to call for a vote. So at least three more need to speak up. Then a committee will be formed consisting of those five, plus five more people, in addition to a loremaster. That committee of 11 will then determine whether a revote really may occur. If the committee decides the vote should happen, the committee will also decide how the vote will proceed, etc., and then the membership will vote.

At least that is my basic understanding. :)

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Tue 19 Jul , 2005 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:13 am
The Pirate's Daughter

It appears that I misstate the process materially. I stand corrected! Rangers, please lock this thread as it was clearly founded on a mistaken assumption.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:17 am
Thanks to Holby

I support having a revote on the wilko thread (though I am loath to upset those who feel fervently that it should not be revisited), because it seems to me that a full understanding of the ramifications of leaving the thread visible, and a full understanding of the invitation aspects of the thread were not grasped (at least by me) in the initial debate and vote. I think an examination is warranted, of whether these factors qualify the thread for the exception on having a revote.

Ethel, you are so not toast here. I wish I could disabuse you of that odd notion. :hug:

Or perhaps it can be manually dislodged from your brain?
:salmon: :salmon: :salmon:

Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:21 am
Takoyaki is love

Well I am all for seeing it gone, but I do not have time to join a committee. Also, Ethel, I never thought you were toast here :scratch

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:30 am
A green apple painted red

I said in this threadthat I would support the revote, and I to that I hold. I think the thread in question was an Invite thread, and should have been deleted with other Invite threads.

I don't like the idea of being on the committee, but I will serve unless better qualified people can be drafted instead.

Voronwe has reviewed the due process very concisely in the above post. To that I would add that these proceedings are under the not-yet-ratified provisions of the Article on Deleting threads that are now under discussion in this forum. It is my belief that it is better to proceed before the ratification is complete so that the proposed rules can be tested and amended if necessary.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:41 am

Ethel, I don't see any reason why this thread should be locked. You correctly (though somewhat colorfully ;)) stated the first step. There has already been four people speak up as being willing to call for the revote, and I'm sure that Hobby will be the fifth when day reaches central Europe.

And the toast that I think can possibly be associated with you around here is this kind:

:cheers

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:54 am
Thanks to Holby

Indeed. :cheers

How rad, being on a committee with Ethel and Frelga.* :cool:
(I think we need a glamour emoticon -- a boa, diamonds, decolletage and piled hair.)**

*And of course Wilma, if she could, and Voronwe (but I already know how wonderful that is).

** Seems a foot in mouth would get quite a bit of use, too.

:)

Last edited by Cerin on Tue 19 Jul , 2005 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 4:54 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
And the toast that I think can possibly be associated with you around here is this kind:

:cheers
Ditto. Stop being silly Ethel. You're quite loved here. :hug:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 5:07 am
Unlabeled

Although I cannot be one of the five initiating members of the committee as I do not support deletion, should we reach five, I would like to volunteer to serve on the committee as one of the other five members. I think that this issue is worth guinea-pigging out to the end, mostly because I believe the stakes to be very low practically here (although high philosophically), and I would not mind being a part of the process.

laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 6:01 am
Triathlete

I support sending this particular invite thread into the abyss. I won't be around much after the end of the month, so I hesitate to join a committee.

Well, I'm back.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 6:17 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I don't like censorship, but as the thread's practically gutted anyway and I'd really like to see then end of this already, plus there's sooooooooo many reasons not to keep the thread and only one to keep it....

I just want to be done with it. I'm ready to chuck it so we can move on.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 6:36 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

People, this is a low commitment committee. Meet in the Jury Room and decide whether to hold a revote. Since there's only two options - delete/not delete - the poll will be simple ... no manual counting.

Ethel, Voronwe, Cerin, Wilma and Frelga - that's enough to convene a Committee on Binding Votes (see Article 7 for rules).

Voronwe is a loremaster so you don't need another one. Six more members of any stripe .... TP, Eru, laureanna ... you're halfway there.

Just do it folks - it will take being online two or three days in a row, not more than that.

My back went out Sat. night and I can't do blinking anything right now, but I'll watch. :)

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 7:43 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Edited for indecisiveness.

Last edited by Leoba on Tue 19 Jul , 2005 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 11:41 am
WYSIWYG

:doh1:

I should just have got Ethel to ask the first time round, rather than asking myself. We'd have been done ages ago. ;)

Well, I obviously agree. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 1:53 pm
Not so deep as a well

gentle :hug: for jny...and I am willing to serve on the committee. I have a philsophical interest and really don't know the principals involved (as opposed to the principles ;) ).

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 2:26 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

*sigh*

But do we want people to think we've got stuff to hide? Even if we do, it will create an impression of ill intention. :(

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 2:29 pm
Unlabeled

Pips - join the committee :)

Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 2:43 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Going on holiday for a week tomorrow. Will that matter? I can probably get to an internet cafe in Dublin, but my parents won't like it.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 3:48 pm
Thanks to Holby

So sorry to hear about your back, Jnyusa. :hug:

Pips, I guess we shouldn't encourage you to do something that would annoy your parents.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 6  [ 114 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: