board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Technical computer question on log-in, log-out

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 12:39 am

I think this site had a problem. We have 6 computers and one of them started acting up about the time Wampuscat started having trouble. I had no problems anywhere else. The problem went away Sunday. I never had the problem before.

The settings for cookies will alter your system's behavior, but I went through them and compared them with one of the laptops and the settings were identical and correct. 4 of the computers, including the one with a problem, are running identical versions of Windows and IE. The only suspicion on my end is that AOL 9 is running on the problem PC and not the others. It's guilty of being the cause of so many problems, I never rule it out. I don't use it for anything but mail, so it isn't directly related to the AOL perversion of IE.

I also started getting PM notifications I hadn't asked for, which hasn't stopped, but I don't mind it.

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 12:06 pm

That's interesting, Idylle. I don't run AOL at all, for anything, so that can't be involved in my case.

I'm glad your problem went away. There is still hope.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 1:52 pm

There is always hope. :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 10:31 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Great...I'm not able to log out. :roll: This is a problem as I'm acting Mayor and need to be able to switch between the screen names.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 11:32 pm

Maybe you can't log out because I'm greedily hoarding all the log-out capabilities. Now if we could only find the Chosen One who is hogging all the log-ins, we could restore balance to the Board.

:fight:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2005 12:35 am
WYSIWYG

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

I couldn't log out sometime last week - deleting some cookies helped. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2005 11:40 am

:Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q

I'm almost afraid to say it. If I acknowledge it, will it go away?

When I came to b77 today, I was ALREADY LOGGED ON!!!!!

I did nothing. I have no clue what happened. I don't care, either.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2005 12:02 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

Wampuscat wrote:
Here's another twist: I haven't been getting notifications about threads I used to be notified about ... until I visit those threads again. Then I get the notifications. Weird. Maybe B77 will automatically log me in after I succeed in visiting all the old threads.
I have noticed that, on a new computer that I have not logged into b77, when I open a link from a thread notification it autologs me in temporarily to read the post (I have the picture thread on post notify so I know to update it) but in order to modify anything I need to log in completely.

To be truthful, this seems an odd quirk of pbpbber. On other phpbb boards I can't even SEE some groups, let alone posts, unless I am logged in regardless if I use a link from a notification or direct linkage.

I have not had any problems logging in here. And I never log out.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Oct , 2005 2:27 am

So, I know this thread is pretty old, but is anyone still having this problem? I never did, but recently I haven't been able to stay logged in. :scratch: I don't know why, I'm using the same browser I've been using (Firefox) and haven't changed any settings, as far as I can remember. I stay logged into the Outer Banks messageboard, so that also adds to my confusion. The only thing I can figure is that something happened during the month I wasn't online, because this just started happening after I came back.

Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but I am hardly getting thread update emails any more. :suspicious: I click on the link to see the thread, but then later don't get the next subscription notice on occasion.

:confused:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Oct , 2005 3:12 pm

These days I'm not having a problem with staying logged in, but sometimes I mysteriously stop getting thread notifications. There seems to be no pattern to it, so I can't figure out what's going on. (I'm not clicking on the don't-watch-this-thread link.)

:scratch:

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Oct , 2005 4:15 pm

Yes, there's no pattern to my lack of noticifations, either. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: