The Last Homely Site on the Web

Thread for Technical Discussions regarding Board77

Post Reply   Page 3 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 14 Aug , 2005 6:24 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Alandriel, I simply listed the names of the three people posting intelligibly in this thread and Dave was one of them (at the time of my post Idylle was not yet in the discussion).

There's no formal procedure for convening the Tech committee. If Dave does not want to be an official member, then maybe Idylle will be the official member #3.

Jn

p.s. It also seems to be working quite well to have this thread in the business room rather than the Jury Room.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 14 Aug , 2005 8:11 pm

Any news on............

The mysql upload ?

The myphpadmin errors ?

How its going ?

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 14 Aug , 2005 9:39 pm
of Vinyamar

Using phpMyAdmin the upload file limit is (Max: 51,200KB). We're at 6 times that. I tried calling it directly using the relative url but got the following errors:

Warning: fread(): Length parameter must be greater than 0. in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php on line 162

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php:162) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/ob.lib.php on line 61

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php:162) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/header_http.inc.php on line 14

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php:162) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/header_http.inc.php on line 15

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php:162) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/header_http.inc.php on line 16

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php:162) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/header_http.inc.php on line 17

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php:162) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/header_http.inc.php on line 20

Still waiting on shell access.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 7:48 am

Ok

Well if you know this already (which you may well do as you have asked for shell access) then sorry for teching to suck eggs as it were!

Have you asked your host to confirm the values of

upload_max_filesize

memory_limit

and post_max_size in the php.ini configuration file.

Also (on some occasions) post_max_size and memory_limit need to be larger than upload_max_filesize

Right now with a large mysql dump you have a few choices

1. If you have shell (command line) access, use MySQL to import the files directly. You can do this by issuing the "source" command from within MySQL: source filename.sql (Presumably you know this as you have asked for shell)

2. Install and use a utility called BigDump to split the files before uploading.
Bigdump can be found here, i have had both success and failure with it! (normally its very good)

http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

3. Ask the host to increase the file upload in php

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 7:52 am

BTW whos the host ?

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 7:57 am

Forgot to add

Email support @ yourhost . whatever

If you upload the .sql dB to your home directory your host may well rather restore the db for you than give shell access

(Mine for instance does)

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 1:59 pm
of Vinyamar

The host is Lunarhost.com and this is actually causing me problems. Their support desk is only open 9am - 5pm PST which is home time for me, and I'm not gonna spend 20 mins on hold to the States on my own phone! Do either of you guys have a more synced Time Zone?

Also, I'm finding their front end extremely unfriendly. I dropped the DB using phpMyAdmin but could not restore the DB because the Fantastico front end believed it was still installed. As a result I manually deleted bohth the DB and the Directory. Still no joy. I then installed PHPWiki in the hope that it would initialise Fantastico and overwrite the PHPBB info. No luck.

I now need a clean reinitialisation of the Fantastico frontend and I still haven't recieved a response to my last mail. Can one of you chase from your end?

Speaking of which, since Dave is unable to stay on would Idylle-Seethes be prepared to step into the breach? I also think we may need to look at alternative hosting with shell access as standard.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 2:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Alatar, can you post your email correspondence in this thread?

I've never heard of PHPWiki. Am I still qualified to serve on this committee? :D

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 2:37 pm
of Vinyamar

There has been very little correspondance. I emailed to ask why the board had been disabled. They responded as follows:

Your phpBB version is 2.0.16. I have re-enabled your forum. However, please note there is an upgrade out now that addresses a few bug fixes.

I had already upgraded at this stage.

I then asked for shell access on Friday. No response yet.

Over the weekend I carried out the Database drop and other activities. I have not yet requested the reinitialisation of Fantastico as I'm still waiting for a response to the last mail.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 4:31 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Apparently we need to upgrade to theEnterprise Plan if we want shell access:

forum post

It's expensive - $39.95 a month.

But do we need it? We don't have the option to do our own backups here at phpbber because the database is shared with other messageboards. But that wouldn't be the case at our own domain. The main hurdle is recreating the messageboard with our 300MB .sql file.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 5:20 pm

No you dont need it (shell access)

My time zone is the same as theirs from memory

I have 2 sites hosted with them and find them excellent, whilst they dont offer shell for you, they will do the database restore for you if you request it, it just needs to be ftp'd up to your site.

You just need to email support@lunarpages.com with your www site, username, last 4 digits of creit card that bought the site etc etc.

They normally reply to me within the hour.

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 5:34 pm

One other thing i just remembered

Once the db is restored then if the new board is the latest .17 release depending on what version phpbber run of phpbb you may need to update the database to run on phpbb first

Just a thought

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 6:35 pm
of Vinyamar

I spoke to them earlier. They no longer support PHPBB through Fantastico so I'll do a clean install of 2.0.17 and set up the databse manually. If I need to get them to do the Backup restore I'll contact Lidless about the other info. He's a bit busy this week with 20 people descending on his house :)

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 6:07 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

It's always nice to stick my nose in here - I feel so humbled :D

It's looking not too bad then :D things are moving. Great job you guys :D
Alatar wrote:
since Dave is unable to stay on would Idylle-Seethes be prepared to step into the breach?
Though Dave is doing an excellent job as an advisor :D I hope you'll continue right along.

While 'technically' the tech committe does not have to have 3 members (all we stipulated is a maximum of three members) I still think it would be great to have 3 people filling in.
IS has contacted me via PM and 'sort-of volunteered'. I'm afraid to say that PM is not really good enough. He's going to have to confirm that in here. So - do you put your head on the chopping block now IS, or not? ;)

ohhh - and forgot. Alatar: can I be a real pain in the backside and ask you to please update the first post just a wee bit with some kind of log (easier for the non-techies to keep up with developments)? e.g. Date: backup received & attemped to install (or whatever); Date: did so and so

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 7:54 pm
of Vinyamar

Will do Alandriel. Just swamped a bit right now!

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 9:10 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

All in good time, the last thing I want is to stress our techies ;)

... and one day, you really do need to give me some lessons you know :D

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 8:24 am
of Vinyamar

Ok, the board restore has been completed and is available on http://www.board77.com/test

You should be able to log in with your PHPBBer Username and Password and see the board as usual (minus any posts from the last week naturally). If you use a Style other than Subsulver or Aeolus you may not be able to log in as I have not transferred over all the styles from this board.

*Edit I've added most of them now...*

Please, can the Mayor, Alandriel, Rangers and any other "special" users check your access and permissions have not changed. Likewise, can some standard members verify that they don't have access to anything they shouldn't! I've checked myself and everything seems fine but I'd like a clarification.

Install was straightforward. I just had to change the board prefix in the config.php (Thanks for the heads-up on that Dave) and install Aeolus as that's my default Style.

Next step is to look at automating backups, but for the purposes of moving the board the technical side seems to be ok.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 12:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

:cheers: Seems to be working okay - I saw the "edit" button for my own posts, couldn't visit ToE, and couldn't start a new thread in the Jury Room.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject: New Board Test
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 2:10 pm

New board (www.board77.com/test) seems to be running fine from my end ;)

Smilies on left are not all displayed though , some are in plain text

ie

Wooper

cheers

devil

scratch

Probably needs a smilie pack uploading as the basic board comes with only a few.....................

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 3:06 pm
Waiting for winter

Logged on successfully. Able to access admin panel, sensitive info forum, etc. Everything looks fine from here.

There do some to be some things missing though. No user list in the admin panel, for instance.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »
Jump to: