The Last Homely Site on the Web

Thread for Technical Discussions regarding Board77

Post Reply   Page 4 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 610 »
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 3:16 pm
of Vinyamar

I noticed that also Tinwe. I can only assume that those are addins and mods. We may have to find workarounds for those or find a place where they can be downloaded from.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 3:52 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

This is sooooooooooooooooo :cool:

.. no worries, I'm not messing, I'm just :D :D and :drool:

:thewave: ... can't help myself :D

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 5:49 pm

Alatar wrote:
I noticed that also Tinwe. I can only assume that those are addins and mods. We may have to find workarounds for those or find a place where they can be downloaded from.

Alatar
it will most definatley be a mod,

You can add these to the basic board, some are easy and some are difficult, backup everything before applying a mod, also if things go pear shaped site may be down for a while!

I normally have a second site in a password protected directory somewhere that is a clone of the original site and then mods can be tested here before going to a live site!

Another thing is that the more mods you install the more (on a logarithmic) scale difficult it becomes to upgrade to the next version of phpbb as phpbb dont support these with their upgrade process.........

If you can live without some of the mods that phpbber have added then this would be wise for a while, and if phpbb bring out v2.5 in the near future ( i believe they are getting close ) then this will be an easy upgrade to go from a virgin 2.017 to the next leap of 2.5

Anyways thats my input!

BTW What does this user list do ???

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Aug , 2005 2:44 pm
of Vinyamar

It allows us easy access to managing users, adding them to groups and other useful stuff. I actually had a look round toe see how to add a user to a group without using the user list and I can't for the life of me spot it!

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Aug , 2005 5:28 pm

Alatar wrote:
It allows us easy access to managing users, adding them to groups and other useful stuff. I actually had a look round toe see how to add a user to a group without using the user list and I can't for the life of me spot it!

Alatar
Its been a while sine i run a phpBB board but i know this can be done quite easily, couldnt remember how so i just looked up the manual

Manual for phpBB can be found here

http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/

Quote:

4.4.2: Moderating a Group

For each group, there is one Group Moderator. The group moderator may control membership to the group by adding and removing members. They may also control the Group Type. The group moderator is specified in the admin panel. For more information, see 3.3 Group Administration.

4.4.2.1: Adding Members

To add members to a group, go to the Group Control Panel. In the lower right corner, there is a text field. Enter the username to add, and click Add Member. Additionally, you may use Find a username if you are not sure of the name of the user to add.

4.4.2.2: Approving Members

To approve a user's membership to a group, go to the Group Control Panel. Look at the bottom of the page at the Pending Members section. Check the box next to the member(s) to approve and click Approve Selected. You may similarly select and deny a user's membership to the group.

When a user requests to join a group, email will be sent to the group moderator with a link to the Group Control Panel. This allows the group moderator to be notified, speeding the approval process.

4.4.2.3: Removing Members

To remove members from a group, go to the Group Control Panel. Check the boxes next to the names of members to remove, and click Remove Selected.

4.4.2.4: Group Types (Open, Hidden, Closed)

Group types may be changed by the group moderator or a board administrator in the Group Control Panel. They may also be changed by board administrators in the Group Management section of the admin panel. For more information, see 3.3 Group Administration.

Open - All users may see the group and group members. Users may request membership to this group. For more information, see 4.4.1 Joining a Group.

Closed - All users may see the group and group members. Users may not request membership to the group, but may be added by the group moderator.

Hidden - The group and its members are not visible to normal users. Users may be added by the group moderator. If a hidden group is moderator of a forum, the group will show up in the Moderators list.

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 9:43 pm

Jnyusa wrote:
There's no formal procedure for convening the Tech committee. If Dave does not want to be an official member, then maybe Idylle will be the official member #3.

Jn

p.s. It also seems to be working quite well to have this thread in the business room rather than the Jury Room.
Alatar wrote:
Speaking of which, since Dave is unable to stay on would Idylle-Seethes be prepared to step into the breach? I also think we may need to look at alternative hosting with shell access as standard.
Alatar
I presume as Prim is now the Major this is directed at her ??? (Scratches head!)

I see from the Handbook on Committees
Quote:
• Committee for Technical Support
Three members with technical expertise. The current committee is Alatar, Jude and Dave.
That i am still listed ?

Did Idylle take up on the tech committe ?

If not and you still want me then i have had second thoughts and am available for the short/long haul!

Let me know

Thanks

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 10:36 pm
Living in hope

<shifty eyes>

Prim who? (I haven't even tried on the suit yet.)

Dave, we'll be glad to have your help in whatever capacity you care to or can offer it. I really appreciate it.

That said, I've read this thread but understand very little of what's going on (and the Mayor doesn't make any big decisions—just keeps track of some administrative details—he/she doesn't even have admin powers).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 11:49 pm

That's great, Dave. Thanks! :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 4:16 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Alatar, Jude and Dave, thank you so much for all your hard work on this. It has been just lovely to have this huge issue going on out there which I could completely ignore. :D :P

Meanwhile, just signed on at the test site. I'm able to post in the Jury Room, so that permission transferred, but I wanted to see if my Sticky/Announcement permissions transferred, and when I opened a sticky thread to hit edit and see whether the Sticky option was still there, I saw that the the first post had an Edit/Delete option where only an Edit option should be.

I was afraid to click on it because it was the Charter and I didn't want to accidentally delete part of it. But shouldn't the delete option disappear after another post follows it? I was not able to click on Edit only.

Also, I noticed that the length of time we have to wait for a backup from the phpbber guys is a real problem. Lots of stuff is just missing from the test site.

It would be nice to get a second backup, know exactly the date and time the board was captured by the backup and move that same day. Is that possible?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 5:55 am

Jnyusa wrote:
It would be nice to get a second backup, know exactly the date and time the board was captured by the backup and move that same day. Is that possible?

Jn
basically you are in the hands of phpBBer for that

You could be lucky and have it the same day, you could be unlucky and have to wait a week ot more as before!

Dont really know what to suggest on that one as its completely out of your control ?

You could get Alandriel to post a follow up email to them re: the time taken and if you paid for another backup in say a month or so could they do it the same day or give you a time scale ?

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 9:22 am
of Vinyamar

I think we'll have to try for that, but unfortunately we have the added complication that Alandriel doesn't want us to mkove to the new site until the legalities are sorted.

Personally, I think we should move the second we get our next backup and work from there. Setting up ownership of a company has little bearing on where the site is hosted.

Incidentally, after a little playing round on vBB I'm inclined to say let's stick with PHPBB. Even if there were no cost involved it will dramatically complicate the move for very little actual gain. Adding in the cost bfactor I feel we're definitely better to stick with PHPBB. That's my own opinion. I'd be interested to hear what Jude and Dave think.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 1:02 pm

Alatar,

Alandriel would be justified in concerns over paying for the server. One of the things we'll have to do before we actually, physically move is to put out a general call for donations to cover the first few months of cost.

Other than the cost issue, you are right that what Voronwe does with the company ideas does not depend on where we are located, and I would prefer to have the kinks ironed out of the new site before taking on an incorporation.

Jn

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 1:17 pm
of Vinyamar

Jnyusa, my understanding is that the site is already paid for. If we wait 3 months (for example) before moving, then that's just 3 more months that Lidless is paying for unused hosting. The hosting is currently being paid for and is not being used. We could move tomorrow (assuming we had a backup) and it would not cost one red cent more than is already being spent.

If I'm wrong on this perhaps Lidless could correct me?

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 1:38 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Alatar wrote:
Incidentally, after a little playing round on vBB I'm inclined to say let's stick with PHPBB. Even if there were no cost involved it will dramatically complicate the move for very little actual gain. Adding in the cost bfactor I feel we're definitely better to stick with PHPBB. That's my own opinion. I'd be interested to hear what Jude and Dave think.

Alatar
I haven't had time yet to play enough with it yet to make a decision. :oops: If I understand Dave correctly, he's convinced that vBulletin is worth the extra cost. I'd be interested in what some of the non-techies think.

Does phpbber know that we intend to move to our own place? Perhaps we should let them know? It would help them understand why timing is crucial for the backup.

And it may be that the next backup won't take so long; they had some bugs to iron out, but now that they've done it once they know how to get it done.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 1:46 pm

Jnyusa, my understanding is that the site is already paid for.

Ah! That's different. Yes, then we should move ASAP in my opinion.

Jn

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2005 1:53 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

We could lock down the board once we knew we had the backup, that way we wouldn't lose anything in the transfer. I'm sure people would understand.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 27 Aug , 2005 2:02 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Sorry folks I've been sparse and today I'm off for 10 days - but I've just read up. I've PMed Lidless to please come in here and give us the details of just exactly what arrangements he has for our own place. He has not responded yet so perhaps it might be a good idea Alatar if you too could shoot off another message. :)
I have no idea if there is a limit on the size of the hosting package he has but even if not, I would feel very uncomfortable moving just yet before having at least an idea how we will be able to come up with the fees in the future. Many have said in the past that they would consider paying a 'subscription' fee on a monthly basis just like they did elsewhere. Perhaps we need a 'survey' to get a better fix on this. Just speaking for me, I'd gladly chip in with say $10.- a month (especially considering the exchange rate). However, I have no idea what other people might be willing to do.
As I said, I'm packing right now, flight taking off in some 6 hours. I'll check back in here when I'm back (around the 5/6September).

As to phpbb: although I'm very aware that we've had problems with them in the past I hope that through an extended email exchange it might be possible to 'cut a deal' with them, to fix a date well in advance where they then can do another backup which we should then receive within 72h (that's what eventually happened once they had the kinks ironed out - and so I believe it is do-able again). But I'd really like to have at least a 'fix' on the financial situation BEFORE we do this. I hope you don't interpret this not in the way of me lagging or trying to put a stone into the spokes. It's only that I've had some 'bad' experiences before..... and it usually boils down to money matters.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 27 Aug , 2005 4:57 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Erunáme wrote:
We could lock down the board once we knew we had the backup, that way we wouldn't lose anything in the transfer. I'm sure people would understand.
Instead of locking down, perhaps a global announcement that we are in the process of moving? We could explain that any posts made in the interim might be lost in the move, and really important posts should be saved and reposted once the new board is available.

I think some of us would go into severe withdrawal if we didn't have access to each other for a few days. :Q

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 9:33 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Boooo - I'm back :D

Having looked through the other thread also I see that we still have some missing info from Lidless. I'll go and poke him again.

What's the news with the backup? Have you managed any 'customization-magic' yet and if so, what? (Yep - I'm full of energy again, can you tell? :blackeye: )

If I don't get any rotten eggs thrown my way I'll go ahead and start a preliminary 'survey' re the money issues tomorrow to give us a better fix. Suggestions are more than welcome :)

Jude: your idea is also good! Perhaps even better than starting a temp board altogether.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 10:41 am
of Vinyamar

Aside from testing that the board was recreated we have done very little. Dave tested converting to a vBB and that was succesful although there will be some rework required after the fact.

Until we know where the final location of the board is there's no point in going any further. With the current ToE situation and the possibility that the hosting will be moved to a non-US server we really need to call a halt until we know what we're dealing with.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 610 »
Jump to: