The Last Homely Site on the Web

Thread for Technical Discussions regarding Board77

Post Reply   Page 5 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 5:04 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Fair enough. Thanks for the update Alatar - I will read up on the issue asap :)

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:12 am
The Man who Knows his Tools

Moving this from the other thread because it is a more appropriate location.
tinwe_linto wrote:
Fixer,

Thank you.

Is it possible for two people to post from different computers simultaneously (or nearly so) and still show the same IP address?
Yes. Example:

User 1: Computer 1: Connected to network 1
User 2: Computer 2: Connected to network 1
User 3: Computer 3: Connected to network 2
User 4: Computer 4: Connected to network 3

Four different computers, 4 different users, but users 1 & 2 will have identical IP addresses if they post at the same time (or, any other time for that matter). Users 3 & 4 should never have the same IPs unless they log into different computers on the same network.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:33 am
Waiting for winter

Thanks Fixer.

This may sound like a stupid question, but what, exactly, do you mean by a network?

(I told you, I'm not a techie. :D )

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:45 am

A network is any group of computers connected to the internet through a single server and IP address. Each computer in the network has its own IP address SEPERATE from the Internet (this is commonly called an Intranet address) that tells the server with the real Internet IP address what it wants and how to get it back to it.

In some cases a large company or organization may be given several IP addresses to use, but it has to be a fairly large company for that to happen.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:53 am
Waiting for winter

So, a business, for instance, or a school or library. Right? We are at least talking about something in the same physical location, like a building or campus, right?

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:58 am

tinwe_linto wrote:
So, a business, for instance, or a school or library. Right? We are at least talking about something in the same physical location, like a building or campus, right?
95% of the time, yes.

The other 5% of the time there are things called WANs (Wide Area Networks) that still use the one central server concept but are physically distributed over miles/kilometers. They make special deals with telephone companies to have decicated trunks for their traffic so they can be physically distant but not share their data over the Internet except through a central server.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:22 am
Waiting for winter

Would still be a single business though? Not a public service provider?

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 12:53 pm

It depends on the provider.

Someone like AOL or Roadrunner or one of the other big ISPs probably has at least a dozen and probably hundreds 'primary IP addresses' that each assign a temporary Intranet IP to a machine that connects to them over the Internet. So, someone who uses AOL as their provider would have a bunch of IP addresses (although they might all have the same first three numbers) that they would connect through even though they use the same provider all the time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Sep , 2005 3:30 am
Not so deep as a well

Has anyone noticed that the board crawls at some times during the day? Like taking two minutes to open a thread? :Q

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Sep , 2005 3:34 am
through the looking glass

YES!

:x :x :x

Happens at least once each day ... maybe more. I just get disgusted and go away.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 3:17 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Whoa ... we were down there for a while in a really weird way. Did anyone else get a "parse error" message for all of php?

Or am I having another one of the alien electromagnetic wave things going on here?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 3:26 am
Waiting for winter

Yea, I got that one too. Weird thing - as soon as I closed out all of my IE windows and opened a new one it came right back up. Seems like I’ve had that happen before too. No idea what it means.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 3:32 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

<wipes brow>

Thanks, Tinwe. I get ... weird things ... happening with electrical stuff sometimes and when I saw that it freaked me out. Glad to know it wasn't just my household that was getting the message.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 11:33 am
Can never be buggered at all

On one of the sites where I post, "parse errors" happen almost daily. There, according to what the tech guys told the admin, the reason is that, the boards moved to a new server on which their outdated software doesn't work well (the site is using UBBThreads). So, it's most probably a server glitch.

On that other site, refreshing the page usually removes the problem.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 12:54 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

I want to hit upon the IP address thing again for a second.
I have no expertise per se, just a layman's perspective.

From what I understand IP addresses go something like this.

Think of the internet as the world.
Think of servers as post offices.
Think of IP addresses as slots inside of the post office.

Now the guy sorting the mail at the post office knows to put the mail intended for you in the right slot, but he has no idea where your house is. That is up to the post man.

If you trace an IP address, you can only trace it back to the server, not the computer itself. Just a section of the server. The ISP knows who is connected to that address, but not the public. You will however display the same IP address when you surf the net. Unless you use dial up.
So if you have several computers in your house, each of them will appear as the same IP address if they share the same cable modem DSL, or T1 connection.
If you have a wireless router and 30 of your friends bring their wireless capable laptops to your house, all will share the same IP address.
If someone has a laptop and parks in front of your house they can use your service to access the internet through your IP address. Providing you don't have some kind of security which most don't.
If someone posts here using your computer they will display your IP address.
There are ways around this like The Annonymizer, but that is a pain and really slow if you don't pay. You basically go through their server and use their IP address.
There are other ways to mask your identity but I am unsure of them.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 2:00 am
Waiting for winter

Holby,

From my limited understanding (and I’ll be the first one to admit, it ain’t much), I’d say that is correct. That’s why, for instance, if you check some of Lidless and Estel’s posts, they will show that you also posted from that IP address. That’s because you logged on and posted from their house when you visited them. The same is true for several others who show shared addresses - Ang and DMM for instance.

The thing about dial-up isn’t right though. I haven’t used dial-up in years, but if you check my posts you’ll see over a hundred IP’s. Most of them do have the same first four or five numbers though. The other numbers seem to rotate. I’ve only ever posted from three different computers - home, work and parents house.

[ img ]

You can't conceive

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 2:11 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

I know there have been changes in the not too distant past regarding dial up. My data is obviously outdated as is my mind. Use to be that everytime you used dial-up you were assigned a different IP address. Must have changed.
Oh and can you be a dear and go to the backup board and chnage over the admins?
None of the five admins are admins there. The link is in Alatar's post in the back-up thread.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 3:16 am
Waiting for winter

Tinwë do this, tinwë do that. I am not your whipping boy anymore! :rage:

Fine. I made you an Admin. You can handle the rest. Ought to be lots of fun, seein’s how there ain’t no user list. :P

Oh, and I wasn’t saying that dial-ups don’t give different IP’s, just that (some) DSL ISP’s do. Geez...

Disclaimer: No bunnies were injured in the making of this post

[ img ]

You can't conceive

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 11:27 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Has holby been at the banner ads? :D

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Thread for Technical Discussions regarding Board77
Posted: Sat 27 Sep , 2008 3:05 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

So how do I link to a specific post? How do I find the post's number?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2006" target="_blank

I'm trying to update some of the "About this forum" threads and want to link to internal post regarding ToE, rather than the geocities' site that has our charter. (Actually, I want to include both, in case the geocities' site ever goes away.) The above is the thread url, but I want to link to the specific post that is about Article 6: Age-Restricted Forums.

I get this number when I quote it. p=97291 ?? Is the f related to the forum? The t related to the thread? And then p would be the post number? I put &p=97291 at the end of that, but it just linked to the thread.

Thanks!

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »
Jump to: