Put up a poll. Or a pole. :P

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 8:54 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Alatar wrote:
A few thoughts.

Firstly, I'd advise that you find a theme you like and alter it. Designing a theme from scratch is hellishly hard. Even altering Rainy Day to the HoF took me over a week of fairly constant work.
Since I don't know any code at all, it's pretty useless for me to design anything :(
Alarar wrote:
Secondly, I'd advise that we select a couple of people to design the theme and then LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!! The last thing we need is a theme designed by committee.
We could just have it so that anyone who wanted to design a theme could do it on their own - I doubt there are that many people who would want to do that. Depending on how many people do it, we could just have that many skins, plus a basic choice - Aeolus, Cobalt, and RainyDay. I sorta doubt we'll get more than three or four people designing a skin.
Alatar wrote:
Thirdly. I agree with allowing a choice of styles here. This is not HoF. We are not trying to create an identity on the Web. We are simply a group of friends in a common room. However, simply for ease of administration, I recommend that we stick to a handful of themes, say 5 at the absolute outside.
I agree with this. Part of what makes a place homey is being able to decide what "look" is most comfortable for you. Also, administration wise... people choose their own skins, so the uploading the skin the original time would be the only time administration has to deal with it, right? I would say have 6 skins - three "normal" types, like what we use already, and three b77 specific types.

I do not think that we should add any brand new skins until we are a permanent location. That gives more work for the admins to do. That way, people designing have at least a month to perfect their designs as well (and maybe I'll get a chance to learn how to do it ;) )
Alatar wrote:
Finally, the background image can be done, but it needs careful work. The theme would have to be designed as a "fixed width" theme to avoid stretching. This can cause all sorts of problems at lower resolutions. My advice would be to stick to images in banners or forumheaders.
I wouldn't worry about it. #1, I don't know how to do a basic skin, let alone something that might be complicated. #2, I would still have to get the artist permission first - something I don't know if I would get. And #3, if it isn't something that people really really like, there's really no point in doing it.
Alatar wrote:
I will of course give help as needed.
Careful there :P You might be getting more emails than you can handle :blackeye:

[quote-"Alatar"](P.S. Much as it would suit me personally to use the Rainy Day theme as a template, having worked with it already, I suggest we avoid it in order to preserve a seperate identity to HoF)[/quote][/quote]

I agree completely.

May I also add, that anyone who is planning on creating a skin, start their own thread here in the business forum about it. That way, as you work on it, you can ask for thoughts and imput. Even if it isn't something done by committee, it is nice to hear peoples comments on your work. At least, it's nice for me :P That way, I know that what I'm doing is something that people might actually like :blackeye:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 9:11 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Alatar - I've contacted Whistler and another about how to go about designing this stuff. Basically my idea was to do the same thing you two did...modify rainy day...but I have no idea how to do that. All I know how to do is make images.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 10:13 pm
of Vinyamar

I'll be happy to do that side of it for you. My problem is with the image manipulation and colour schemes.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 10:14 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Just to finish my thought process, here's an awful draft of one idea I mentioned:

[ img ]

I made another one on actual paper, but the scanner isn't working and I'm sick of look at the thing. :P

Estel's are much more pleasing to the eye, so I'll go along with what her or anything else comes up with. If you wanna take a crack at my idea though, go ahead. Lord knows I don't have the creativity.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 10:33 pm

Alatar wrote:
I'll be happy to do that side of it for you. My problem is with the image manipulation and colour schemes.
And maybe at the same time you could teach me. :)

I know a tiny bit of code...but not nearly enough.

Yours could be possible *E*...would be more work than what I'm working on as yours needs a lot more artistic skill.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 11:07 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Here ya go *E* ;) --> Linky in case you can't see the pic on the page

[ img ]

I even named it after you, lol

Edit: Why is it that the one I make as a joke for *E* is better looking than any of the ones I have done before? :scratch: :help:

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 11:18 pm
Waiting for winter

I like the idea of having more than one custom b77 style, but I wonder, if we have a banner or logo picture, won’t it show up on all of the styles, no matter which one a person uses? Perhaps we should consider a picture that has a range of colors that could work with different color schemes.

Something to consider.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 11:23 pm

Or it could just be a background image specific to that style only somehow? That way the picture could change along with the colors?

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 11:24 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Tinwe has it. I would suggest a range of member-made skins. Choose as you like.

Just one doesn't feel right.

*wants to avoid committees and voting on an official version*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 11:25 pm

Holbytla wrote:
Put up a poll. Or a pole. :P
Where, exactly?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 11:46 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

In my room?!?!?!?!?!?!

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 11:53 pm
Insolent Pup

What? Start a committee you say?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 12:05 am
Let the dice fly.

I say we use the pole to smack TED for that post. :P

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 12:50 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

I'm sure she would love to....

Oh.... not that Pole??? :P

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 12:58 am

Elian wrote:
I say we use the pole to smack TED for that post. :P
A pole against a post? Sounds like Kendo to me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 2:33 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Estel wrote:
Awww... now there's a chick after my own heart. :D (Yeah, the boards are still being ghey for me and I can't see pics. Have to retrieve the links through quoting. Oh well.)

I think that looks pretty spiffy! There are some good images of the earth on google but I just picked the first one I saw. If we went with a design like that, it should probably be Europe or North America facing forward. In the end, it's just a pic of the world of course, but it may as well be an area that actually has b77ers in it. ;) We used to have someone from Africa but Griffon64 just moved to Cali! :P

Uh... I'm too complicated about things. Pardon. :D

I just like the look of maps. The picture I was inspired by, I can't seem to find on my computer (it was an island shaped like a whale - fake, but awesome), but here is one with the same kind of idea:

[ img ]

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 2:46 am
Insolent Pup

Meg, you're just jealous that you didn't think of it first.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Jun , 2006 5:23 am

A question for Alatar:

As you can see, Estel and I are working on drastically different styles. Obviously there can't be one banner if we were to both create a style that people could use.

My question is, is it possible to override the banner on an individual style? I suppose that's what we'd aim for...that with that style, only a particular banner would be applied...or maybe header image is more the thing to shoot for? But obviously we both can't use the same banner/header image...is it possible to have different ones for different styles?

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Jun , 2006 8:39 am
of Vinyamar

Yes, it is. In fact, you need to install a mod to get all styles to use the same Logo. By default they use whatever is specified in the style.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 9  [ 164 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: