board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Which do you want to have an opportunity to vote on first?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 41 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Which would you like to vote on first?
Poll ended at Sun 04 Dec , 2005 9:24 pm
Option 1 (referred to as the rerouting proposal)

61% [ 14 ]
Option 2 (referred to as the tightening proposal)

39% [ 9 ]
Total votes: 23
Fixer
Post subject: Which do you want to have an opportunity to vote on first?
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:24 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77

Option 1) The first post in the forum.
Option 2) The second post in the forum.

This is not for discussion on either proposal, nor do you have to say when you've voted. We committee members want an idea of which one we should let folks vote on as we have come up with two ideas on how to satisfy the Board's needs and are unsure which to propose first. In an effort to make this a quick decision, I will leave this up for 5 days for people to pick which to vote on first. This is not part of the official Charter procedure so I'm winging it.

If a Ranger would sticky this, I would appreciate it. After the poll is completed, it can be locked and moved to... wherever it needs to go.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:33 pm
of Vinyamar

Sorry Fixer, can you summarize for us? Just a short explanation of each option. I went to the link and my eyes immediately glazed over. I will put the effort into it when the time comes, but for a straw poll like this can we have a basic idea of what we're voting on?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:37 pm
Insolent Pup

Personally, I don't care which one gets voted on first. How would you determine the winner? The one that gets 67% I imagine. Might make sense to have them run concurrently... people can then vote for one and not the other if they choose, or vote yes for one and no for the other...

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
fisssh
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:42 pm
White Sox sw00ner

I thought we were running them at the same time too. It makes more sense for people to be able to compare and make their decision at one time.

We only wish! To catch a fish! So juicy sweeet!

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:44 pm

Hmmmm... I might screw up a summary, but I shall do my best. Other committee members may correct me if I am wrong but once a vote is cast it cannot be uncast so bear that in mind when reading my summary and making your decision.

Option 1 basically alters dispute resolution to where anything serious MAY occur in Jury Room or it can be kept in Bike Racks if both parties want it there. It does not prevent any sort of threads based on levity or 'mock threads' in Bike Racks, in fact is clearly states, "Use of the Bike Racks for resolution of casual or light-hearted disputes is permitted." In this manner, people who do not wish to use Bike Racks to settle their disputes can request it be moved to Jury Room to have it be more limited in who can intervene. There are also safeguards written in to deal with posters who interfere in other dispute threads. It also specifies that users penalized for interference in are limited to post only in Bike Racks, where they would be further prevented from posting if they become unruly.

Option 2 keeps a model similar to our current Bike Racks, but eliminates any possibility of using it for mock disputes. If you have a serious dispute that does not warrant a Hearing, it goes to Bike Racks and that is the only purpose that forum will serve. It has not yet been determined where posters who flagrantly disregard procedure will be limited to posting within. It will likely require a new forum be created or that the user's posting rights be eliminated entirely for a duration yet to be determined.

REAL BRIEF SUMMARY

Option 1) Bike Racks becomes dumping grounds for anything, including unruly posters. Jury Room becomes place for serious disputes.

Option 2) Bike Racks becomes place for serious disputes not requiring Hearing.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:46 pm
of Vinyamar

Thanks Fixer.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:46 pm
Not so deep as a well

TED:

The idea is that we could use this poll to determine which proposal to show to the board first, and if it didn't pass with 67%, then and only then would we resort to the other proposal.

This would be an alternative to offering the two concurrently with a clause that if both were approved, only the one with the greater support would actually take effect, or neither would, or something like that.

Alatar:

The rerouting proposal would move sequestered dispute threads to the Jury Room, and leave the BR open to all disputes, regardless of their gravity or sincerity.

The tighetning proposal would state that the BR forum is only for sincere and earnest personal disputes or something similar. If two Rangers believed that a thread started there was not on the up and up, they could relocate it.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 9:54 pm
Insolent Pup

I get it now, Ax. Personally, I think both should be offered at the same time, but then again what to do if neither gets 67%... that would probably make things needlessly complicated.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 10:00 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
I get it now, Ax. Personally, I think both should be offered at the same time, but then again what to do if neither gets 67%... that would probably make things needlessly complicated.
If neither proposal gets 67%, I believe that means that the current system (both lighthearted and serious disputes) would be able to be created in Bike Racks. Of course, there is nothing to prevent someone from crying foul and asking for another Charter Committee on this either.
The Charter wrote:
A binding vote cannot be held for a proposition that has been defeated by an earlier vote during the past six months unless a genuine change of circumstances justifies holding an additional vote. It is the responsibility of the Committee to determine whether the proposed vote is allowable.If the committee is divided, a straw poll will be taken and a simple majority of the committee members will decide whether the vote is allowable.
(Jny, you want to put a space between the period and the I in there? The grammar nazi part of my personality is just going, GAH!!!!!)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 10:02 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Yes, will do, Fixer.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 10:03 pm
Not so deep as a well

Fixer---

Although a charter amendment isn't a binding vote, and thus isn't subject to the six month restriction, I suspect that attempts to try revisting a defeated amendment too soon would result in some pretty nasty backlash.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 1:06 am

I voted (for option 1, in case anyone is interested).

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 1:33 am
Thanks to Holby

Quote:
If neither proposal gets 67%, I believe that means that the current system (both lighthearted and serious disputes) would be able to be created in Bike Racks.
That is not the current system. The current system is that the Charter indicates that the forum is only to be used for genuine disputes, but some people claim that because it doesn't prohibit mock disputes, those are also allowed.

Keeping the current wording would mean that we would continue with the dispute about what Bike Racks should be used for. I would have grounds to complain about its use for mock threads, and people would have the same dubious (IMO) grounds to continue using it for mock threads and for whatever else is not expressly prohibited by the text.

If people want to avoid revisiting this issue, then we have to clarify the Charter by passing one of the proposals.

I question the validity of the committee deciding which proposal to put up based on a straw poll.

It seems to me that the committee decided that they could not offer only one proposal for this amendment, because there were two distinct viewpoints represented on the board, and offering only one proposal would seem like the committee was choosing for the membership.

I fail to see why an informal preference poll would change that. It has no validity whatsoever in any official sense.

I think the fairer thing to do would be to offer both propositions at the same time, as has been discussed. I would ask those who favor the rerouting proposal, if they would feel satisfied if the tightening proposal were offered first based on the results of a straw poll.

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 2:47 am

Duh... Cerin, this isn't official. This is one of those "get a feeling for opinions" kind of poll.

I agree the situation if neither proposal passes would be that the current dispute would continue. Under the current system, the threads CAN be created, and your dispute about their right to exist would continue. If I was unclear on what I meant I apologize.

I started this without any official endorsement from any other Committee member. If you wish to complain about me and that I started a straw poll to get an idea of where people felt we should begin, start a Bike Racks thread and I'll meet you there. If you elect not to do so I will believe you don't care enough to really consider this a serious grievance and are just venting (and there is nothing against venting in the Charter, so go right ahead). :D I am not sure about you but I actually appreciate listening to other people's opinions and give them consideration. If you believe this to be a waste of time, I fail to see why you are participating.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 3:41 am
Thanks to Holby

I'm not participating in the poll, Fixer. However, I thought this would be the appropriate place to state my opinion that the best and fairest route for the committee to take would be to offer both proposals at the same time for consideration.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 6:57 am

Fixer wrote:
Duh... Cerin, this isn't official. This is one of those "get a feeling for opinions" kind of poll.

I agree the situation if neither proposal passes would be that the current dispute would continue. Under the current system, the threads CAN be created, and your dispute about their right to exist would continue. If I was unclear on what I meant I apologize.

I started this without any official endorsement from any other Committee member. If you wish to complain about me and that I started a straw poll to get an idea of where people felt we should begin, start a Bike Racks thread and I'll meet you there. If you elect not to do so I will believe you don't care enough to really consider this a serious grievance and are just venting (and there is nothing against venting in the Charter, so go right ahead). :D I am not sure about you but I actually appreciate listening to other people's opinions and give them consideration. If you believe this to be a waste of time, I fail to see why you are participating.
Fixer, I for one am glad that you started this straw poll. I thought about doing it myself, but I was afraid there would be a backlash if I did. The results so far are confirming what I had already come to believe. At this point I have come to the conclusion that b77 would be better served by loosening the reigns rather then tightening them, because I think that that is what a majority of its membership that cares one way or the other prefers.

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 8:15 am
Thanks to Holby

Quote:
At this point I have come to the conclusion that b77 would be better served by loosening the reigns rather then tightening them, because I think that that is what a majority of its membership that cares one way or the other prefers.
You may have come to that conclusion, Voronwe, but it is up to the membership as a whole to state our preference through an official vote.

If a straw poll is used to justify offering only one out of two clear choices, then the committee has basically made the choice for the membership, and on the flimsiest of grounds.

That would be extremely distressing.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 8:22 am
Insolent Pup

The choice is still up for a yes/no vote, so nothing has been decided even by this straw poll.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 9:03 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Straw polls are only guidance to hopefully allow a committee to go in one direction or not waste time going in an unfruitful one. If there is a clear majority in favour of one option being put first then that is a hint, no more. The committee could still decide otherwise for perfectly good reasons. If the poll was closer to 50/50 then the hint would be to put both up at once.
Though I have cast my vote I don't want the committee bound by it. If one 'side' feels that things might be unfair it would be better to be openly and scrupulously fair to both opinions. Which would mean taking Cerin's position and offering both at once.
From the ToE experience the offering of a poll to the membership for the guidance of the committee, though potentially useful, is fraught with unseen difficulties and is best chewed over first by the committee generally.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2005 3:13 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Fixer I'm glad you started this poll too.

By all means express your opinion chances are we already know how you feel, you all wanted a committee so you got one. We are going to carry on the way we think is best for the board.

I'd really like other people's opinions, no offense TED, hal, and Cerin. It seems the same 4 or 5 people keep posting the same thing over and over again. Please, even if it's just to say I agree with so and so, new voices are always welcomed.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away