The Last Homely Site on the Web

The "criticize Jnyusa some more" thread

Post Reply   Page 7 of 8  [ 146 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Dec , 2005 3:23 pm
of Vinyamar

In fairness, his version of Pulps "Common People" is really good. It must have been an accident :)

Jnyusa smells of elderberrys and her father was a hamster.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Dec , 2005 3:44 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Anthriel wrote:
<sigh>

Why do I get this mental image of herding cats?

<feels sorry for herself>

All shall submit to the overpowering cuteness of this kitty!!! And she shall never be herded!!!

[ img ]

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Dec , 2005 4:05 pm

Alatar wrote:
In fairness, his version of Pulps "Common People" is really good. It must have been an accident :)

I LOVE that song, and like most of the rest of the songs on that album. :)

*runs in terror from Lali's eeeevil kitty*

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Dec , 2005 4:47 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Just exactly what do elderberries smell like?
And do they smell because they are elder berries as opposed to younger berries? Are they in some state of decay?
Or do they have noses and are able to smell?
Why is smelling like fruit an insult?
If I said Jny smelled like bananas, would that be an insult?

And if her father was a hamster does that mean Jny is a hamster?
Is being a hamster a bad thing? I like hamsters.
I like bunnies too. If I said Jny's father was a bunny, is that a bad thing.
If I say Jny wears bunny ears like Anthy, is that an insult?

And the thread title says "The "criticize Jnyusa some more" thread".
Well which is it? Some or more.

I am so confused about all of this.

Thanks Sunny.
I'll be changing the avatar soon.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Dec , 2005 5:05 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I'm a bunny :Wooper:

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Dec , 2005 9:15 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Someone said there was a party going on here. Bloody stupid name for a party but these are stupid times. How do I get in?

I have to do what?

That's, that's just............

stupid.

Oh well, *shrugs*

Jny's so bright she makes me feel stupid.

Will that do? It's a bit half assed isn't it?
I'm not very good at this. :(

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Dec , 2005 9:27 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Well, honestly, yes, that was a bit weak. Next insult try adding in either a small, furry mammal or an obnoxious, somewhat perverted-sounding children's TV character.

You may, however, comment all you like on the excruciatingly cute kitten in my previous post.

As for the term party, eh, we take what we can get. **Hands Tosh a margarita or something** Maybe that will help.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Dec , 2005 7:14 pm
Fading Softly

Jnyusa likes the teletubbies. She is secretly in love with the green one.

I know this because she told me today. She came over to my house wearing bunny ears which had been severely maimed by having a colander jammed down over them. And she was torturing a ferret.

Profile Quote
Semprini
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 9:39 am

Perhaps, I don't have a sense of humour.

But I find this thread childish and silly. Have some of you considered that Jn might not find it funny?

She has been working her ass off for months to draft the organization documents of this board, and to solve issues arising out thereof. She has been patient with us, even in the middle of disputes that would not have been out of place in an elementary school.

If one of the main principles of this board is the notion of "respect" of the other posters, don't you see that by indulging in this kind of thread even for fun, you are jeopardizing this very notion of respect?

Or perhaps I am missing something.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 9:48 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Quote:
Or perhaps I am missing something.
Yup your missing something.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 10:03 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

The people posting here respect Jnyusa, Semprini. They wouldn't be posting here if it might make her uncomfortable. It is a means of defusing some of the comments that have been used during this dispute and trying to take the sting out of them. It was a nice thought of yours though and I too when I saw the thread title was prepared to roll my sleeves up and come in to defend her.
Not that I am very good at these mock anger threads. I will have to take lessons.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Semprini
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 11:40 am

Thank you for your post, Tosh. I understand your point. However, I must confess my doubts about this method. Words have a specific meaning. So I would have thought that the best way to defuse offensive comments is to withdraw them with a "sorry".

Anyway, sorry for the interruption.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 12:28 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

I'm probably more at fault than anyone else, Semprini, for making this thread what it became. I apologize for upsetting you; I should have considered what it would look like to someone walking in a few days later.

I guess I did it for a few reasons. One was situational... the board had been so tight, so horribly wound up for a couple of weeks at the point the teasing took off in this thread... I just felt a huge need to be silly, which not only is something that we do really well around here, but is also something that had been largely missing. We had become a community focused solely on the somber business of focused negativity towards each other. That is not who we are.

Or... well, it shouldn't be who we are. :neutral:

Jnyusa chose the thread title herself, and I could feel her frustration at, seemingly, ALWAYS being picked apart for not only her decisions affecting this board, but simply being who she is. Even when she tried to "relax", I guess, and play along, just a bit, in her own sig, she is criticized for THAT. I feel that Jnyusa is held to a higher standard than the rest of us, and I can understand her frustration. She is a better person than I am. I'm not sure I could have handled a tenth of what she has shouldered at this board.

So... she felt she was constantly being criticized. She, who has done so much for us all! So, when she started this thread, I decided to "criticize" her for ALL kinds of silly things, just to complete her torture. ;)

It was in jest, Semprini. I really don't KNOW if Jnyusa listens to William Shatner music. And that would be totally fine with me if she did. (EEP!) It was just a goofy thing to "criticize her" about. And if she DID listen to William Shatner music, I know she would have the good sense not to share that factoid with the board. :Q

We also had become, in my mind, quite rigid about not straying off the topic in a thread... a phenomenon that I quite enjoy. (I understand that the committee thread is different... I do!) It was fun to "make" people try to "stay on topic"... and I got to play with several people here I hadn't played with for a while. On both "sides" of the fence, btw! I remembered my bounce, a little, in this thread. I have felt enormously relieved since I played.

Finally, Jnyusa is a wonderfully good sport, and I knew she would recognize it for what it was. She did come in, somewhere, and say that she enjoyed the humor behind the thread... I knew she would, and even I, the one who worries the most over the least things, had no worries that she wouldn't "get" the humor. Besides, she did strange things to me one time, involving lukefisk, when I had been fairly ill. I owed her. :)

I am glad that you came into the thread and voiced your concerns, Semprini, and that you feel led to defend our written goals of respecting each other. It is something we probably need to be reminded of more often. It is something that I think, for a week or two there, we forgot.

Rest assured, there is no one I respect more than Jnyusa. Perhaps I have a weird way of showing it, but I think she knows my intent, and my affection. Sometimes I speak the most clearly through my humor. :)

And the fact that this thread blew into seven pages in a day or so means, to me, that we needed this little break to play.

It probably looks a little weird now. But I think you had to be there. :)

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 1:25 pm
Insolent Pup

While the posts are in jest, the thread cropped up as a split (I believe) off of another thread. I really don't think hal actually started this thread, it was just his post and one or two others that got split.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:04 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

You're right, TED, that is what happened.

And Jnyusa picked the thread title herself... her choice of titles, because I KNEW it was she who chose it, was one of the reasons I felt comfortable playing.

I guess, again, the fact that I know that is because I was around when it all started. From the POV of someone walking in later, it does look like hal started the thread.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:15 pm
b77 whipping boy

yet another reason for people to dislike me... which I saw from the beginning... doesn't really matter, though...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:17 pm
b77 whipping boy

yet another reason for people to dislike me... which I saw from the beginning... doesn't really matter, though...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:19 pm
Insolent Pup

It does, which was why I posted because I had seen the split posts in their original thread before this one.

Don't take my post as diminishing anything you said, though. Yours was, as the British say, spot on.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:47 pm
Living in hope

:hug: for Anthy.

I was there and Anthy is exactly right. This thread was good medicine at a good moment, and I'm sure Jn saw that as well.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 3:15 pm

HuggyGlue wrote:
I really don't KNOW if Jnyusa listens to William Shatner music. And that would be totally fine with me if she did. (EEP!) It was just a goofy thing to "criticize her" about. And if she DID listen to William Shatner music, I know she would have the good sense not to share that factoid with the board.
yovargas wrote:
Alatar wrote:

I LOVE that song, and like most of the rest of the songs on that album. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 8  [ 146 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Jump to: