Ratification: Amendment to Article 5, ¶1: Bike Racks

Locked   Page 1 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jnyusa
Post subject: Ratification: Amendment to Article 5, ¶1: Bike Racks
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 7:27 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Dear Members,

We are now opening for discussion the ratification of an amendment to Article 5, ¶1 concerning the Bike Racks forum.

The discussion period will last from Wednesday December 7, ~ 2:30 pm EST to Friday, December 16, ~2:30 pm EST

Votiing will begin Friday, December 16, ~2:30 pm EST and last until December 25, ~2.30 pm EST.

The current text concerning the Bike Racks reads as follows:

Article 5: Dispute Resolution in the Outside Forum
¶1: The Bike Racks Forum

The Bike Racks Forum is a read and write forum available to all members. It is used for:
• resolving disputes between individual members when these disputes do not involve a violation of board rules;
• off-topic discussions that are derailing a thread but do not warrant a thread of their own;
• restricting posters who have provided invalid email addresses.

Members may start a thread in that forum to resolve a personal dispute.

It is proposed that we add here the following sentence.

This forum is intended solely for earnest attempts to resolve bona fide disputes, and threads that are not started for that purpose will be moved.

And that the text concerning second use of the Bike Racks (derailed threads) be changed to:

• splitting off quarrelsome or disruptive posts that are derailing a thread;

And that the text concerning the third use of the Bike Racks (invalid email addresses) be eliminated because it is obsolete under our current group permission system.

If this amendment is not passed, the current wording of ¶1 will remain unchanged, and it will be up to the discretion of the Rangers whether or not a particular thread disturbs the coherence of the forum and to move it accordingly using their routine powers under Article 3, ¶4. A poster whose thread has been moved may still contest this decision as provided in Article 3, ¶7 but all other means of protest remain a violation of the by-laws.

When the poll is put up, it will ask you to ratify the amendment by agreeing to the changes proposed. If you do not want those changes to Article 5, ¶1, then you should vote that you do not agree.

Jn

Last edited by Jnyusa on Thu 15 Dec , 2005 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 7:34 pm
Insolent Pup

Are we getting rid of the "restricting posters who provide invalid email addresses"?

The 11/3 Project

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 7:35 pm

Yes, it is part of the ballot.

Jn

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 7:48 pm
Insolent Pup

Obiviously I can't read.

The 11/3 Project

Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Dec , 2005 1:40 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

*bump*

If anyone wants to, you know, DISCUSS this ballot this is where you may do so.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Dec , 2005 9:46 pm
Thanks to Holby

Quote:
This forum is solely intended for earnest attempts to resolve bona fide disputes, and threads that are not started for that purpose will be moved.
I have a slight rearrangement suggestion that I think reads a bit better:

This forum is intended solely for earnest attempts to resolve bona fide disputes; threads that are not started for that purpose will be moved.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Dec , 2005 9:48 pm

Cerin, I'll add that as an alternate wording, and let people comment on their preference here in the thread.

Jn

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Dec , 2005 10:18 pm
Thanks to Holby

Thanks, Jnyusa.

Fixer, I think people expressed their viewpoints on this issue fairly expansively during the two upheavals surrounding mock threads, so that may be why there is not much discussion left to be had at this point.

I appreciate the committee's work, and especially your willingness to step up when it looked like things were going to fall apart.

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Dec , 2005 10:28 pm
Insolent Pup

Grammatically, Cerin's change looks fine by me.

The 11/3 Project

Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 1:44 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

I agree with TED on the grammatical change.

This might be one of the least commented-on ballots ever.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 1:52 pm
Insolent Pup

The ballot itself isn't that controversial. It's straight forward. My guess is that people have decided already and are waiting to vote.

The 11/3 Project

Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 5:41 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I will of course be voting against this amendment, seeing that most people can differentiate and appreciate the difference between a mock and a real dispute.

To have the dual layer of protection - one within the thread, as well as the forum itself is completely unnecessary, IMHO.

[ img ]

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 5:52 pm
Living in hope

And I will be voting for it, of course, in an attempt to prevent future disputes like the one we all just lived through.

[ img ]

halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 6:19 pm
b77 whipping boy

I will probably be voting no as well, as it is an unecessary change, and an arbitrary decision on what is necessary to prevent such disagreements in the future.

Even if it passes overwhelmingly, it will not prevent such disagreements in the future, it will only prevent such disagreements ABOUT THE BIKERACKS in the future... and it might even fail to do that.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 6:58 pm

Primula_Baggins wrote:
And I will be voting for it, of course, in an attempt to prevent future disputes like the one we all just lived through.
But a no vote by the membership would also mean that playful threads are allowed, thus ending the controversy as well.

[ img ]

tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 7:12 pm
Unlabeled

Lidless wrote:
Primula_Baggins wrote:
But a no vote by the membership would also mean that playful threads are allowed, thus ending the controversy as well.
I don't think this is the case, because there is an obvious difference of opinion as to whether playful threads are allowed under the current rules. It's true, then, that we have two choices - one is to acquiesce to (make explicit) one interpretation of the current rules, and the other is to reject the explicit option, and leave the difference of opinion hanging. Since neither outcome makes explicit the right of joke threads to exist in the BikeRacks, either result could tragically give rise to the perception that one "side" of this lengthy (two month, which is an online eon) debate has "won" it. Strike up the band.

I was most disappointed to see that there was no "Make it go away, who the hell cares, and also, why are we STILL talking about this" option on the ballot. Since only that option would reflect my views, I am unsure whether I will be voting at all. Apologies for the bluntness.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 8:16 pm

tp, I absolutely believe that a defeat of this amendment will have the de facto result of allowing less then serious dispute threads in the bike racks. That is true, I might add, whether it is defeated because it fails to get 2/3 or more of the vote, or if (as I expect will happen) it is defeated because it does not reach a quorum. It is pretty axiomatic that if one attempts to clarify an ambiguous statutory provision to clarify that it means a certain thing and that attempt fails, the alternative interpretation is the one that should stand.

I will for this reason be voting against the amendment, as I believe that the board77 community will be better served by a loosening of the rules then by a tightening of them.

Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 8:17 pm

Well Prim seems to be using the yes vote as a "make it go away" option. If others do too, that would be a shame.

[ img ]

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 8:25 pm
Living in hope

Well, it does make it go away. Voronwë argues that the other result would do the same, but as it happens I disagree. Others may, too.

[ img ]

yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Dec , 2005 8:33 pm

tolkienpurist wrote:
I was most disappointed to see that there was no "Make it go away, who the hell cares, and also, why are we STILL talking about this" option on the ballot.
:Q She reads minds!
;)
Quote:
I will for this reason be voting against the amendment, as I believe that the board77 community will be better served by a loosening of the rules then by a tightening of them.
:cheers:

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: