Committee Rotation for Charter Simplification

Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 176 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Dec , 2005 7:57 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:D

:damnfunny: You guys would like that, wouldn't you? ;)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Dec , 2005 2:42 am
Insolent Pup

Quote:
There is no new, more solemn purpose being proposed for the Bike Racks. BR was always intended for dispute resolution.
You forgot to add "in my honest interpretation". :rollseyes:

Edit: gdm... whips? leather? chains? I knew you were secretly kinky. :LMAO:

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Dec , 2005 4:34 pm

Please remove me from this committee. Perhaps Fixer will be willing to take over the loremaster duties.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Dec , 2005 7:22 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

People,

I am going to resign from the new Committee as well, and I believe that Prim will be following suit when she is online.

The three of us have discussed this with one another - I don't want to deceive you that we arrived at this decision independently - and I have been the one pushing for the past two days for us to remove ourselves from this process for a couple reasons.

First of all, for personal reasons, if we had begun immediately I would have stayed and at least worked on the hygienic cleanups, as I think we'll all be better off for those. But I too would like a holiday season free of the troubles of B77 and it seems to only way to achieve that is to not have future responsibilities of a controversial nature hanging over my head.

But more importantly, there is a perception that only a handful of us support the Charter and the rest of the membership would like to get rid of it. In fact, it has been said many times that numerous members have left the board because of the Charter and because of me specifically. I have no way of knowing whether this is true or not, but I am sure that the truth of it will never be ascertained if I remain on every charter committee. Same goes for Voronwe and Prim and anyone else who was part of the original convention.

If the members like the way the charter is, or if they want only to modify parts of it but not jettison it completely, then they need to speak up for themselves. It is not my intention, and has never been my intention, to speak in place of others who wanted something different from me. I think that convention members know that, because they got to work under my leadership, but those who were not on the convention do not know that and it is time they learned. The only way to 'teach' that to them is to remove myself from all committees and positions of responsibility. I can't serve two sequential terms as Ranger so that duty is taken care of come January 31; and I will not serve on any committees for the coming year.

Third, I believe that the presence of myself, Voronwe and Prim on a committee makes certain people feel obligated to stand in opposition to us, whatever we say. This impedes their ability to think freely and it impedes the ability of the committee to function properly - that is, to consider all options and choose among them based on merit.

Fourth, the other committee members have not taken leadership roles until now. Except for Alatar and TED, none have served on committee or served as Rangers or signed up for jury pool, etc. Yet we've heard some pretty virulent criticism from that quarter as to how others were performing in these capacities. I mean this in the most sincere way imaginable, because it happens that I do believe in democracy - I think it is time for the rest of the board to have a chance to see what leadership looks like under the alternate model. Let them see how things operate under a committee composed of TED, Alatar, Fixer, Lidless, TheMary, and Elian and whomever else joins at this point. It will be good for the committee to have the unbridled discretion they've asked for and it will be good for the board to see what that looks like.

Since I'm a Ranger until Jan. 31 I will serve the committee by editing threads as necessary, sending out the global email and calculating quorum, etc. as needed. And of course I will vote on anything the committee proposes, and might even express an opinion here in the Business room. But I will stay out of their hair as they draft the new Charter.

The only thing the committee will be obligated to do, I'm afraid, is remove the ownership provision from the Charter. Voronwe will not be facilitating this in any event, and it is my humble opinion that carrying a provision like that when the event has moved so far into the future is unwise.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 11:35 am
of Vinyamar

Based on Jnyusa's last mail I think it's best if this is looked at by a fresh pair of eyes. As I was also on the original charter committee its probably best that I also stay off this.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 1:21 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

TED qualifies as a former Ranger and the Mayor is on the committee automatically. With myself (as Loremaster), Lidless, TheMary and Elian that brings us up to the minimum necessary for a committee.

This committee was called by two Rangers, right? If it was called by members then we are WAY under our quota.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 1:36 pm
Gloriosus

Then count me in.

– – –

Profile Quote
grumpydwarfmom
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 1:55 pm

I was going to post in here last night, but after logging on and seeing Voronwe's and Jnyusa's posts, more light-hearted banter is just too hard to come up with.

It's a shame that those who've put in so much work and time into making this a safe, sustainable community are now feeling so under the gun that they must move away.

Is b77 headed for anarchy?

gdmom

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 2:25 pm
of Vinyamar

Speaking only for myself GDM, I think it's better if fresh blood looks at the condensation of the charter. Those of us who were there at the beginning have too much history with it. Every time there was a suggestion to remove something we'd be saying "but remember, the reason that had to be there was...." In other words, if the reason behind a rule is not self-evident, the charter committee should consider it dispensible. That will never happen while those of us who slogged through the initial charter considerations are always there pointing out the whys and wherefores.

I really think its for the best if this is approached from a fresh perspective.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:43 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

Current Committee membership (based on here and elsewhere)

TheEllipticalDisillusion (Former Ranger)
Eruname (Mayor)
Fixer (Loremaster)
TheMary
Lidless
Elian
halplm
Mummpizz

Who else?

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Jan , 2006 11:03 pm
Insolent Pup

Is everyone ready for some committee tomorrow?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Jan , 2006 9:25 pm
Insolent Pup

:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

Bueller? Anybody?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 03 Jan , 2006 1:25 am
Let the dice fly.

I only just got home from the Chicago moot. And TM and hal won't be home/online until Wednesday, I believe.

Patience, precious. :P We'll get this done.

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 03 Jan , 2006 8:16 am
Gloriosus

Hi guys,
I'm going to switch on your Jury Room permissions so discussion can start at any moment. I'd be eternally grateful if we could treat this like a thread, not like a chat, as I'm on Middle European Timezone and stealing online time from the office instead of my wife.

Switching done - please yell if there are problems.

– – –

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 Jan , 2006 5:49 pm
Insolent Pup

This can probably be unstickied since the committee is underway and the comment thread is up.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 Jan , 2006 7:30 pm
Another bright red day

Unstickied as per request.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 176 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9