The Last Homely Site on the Web

If B77 is deleted- an alternate site to go to:

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 3:16 am
Insolent Pup

I agree with Alatar. Seems the uberadmins are getting... ridiculous here at phpbber.com. I think we might want to speed up the moving to our own server.... especially if they will shut down a thread for something so minor as discussion of homosexuality.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 4:15 am
Let the dice fly.

:suspicious:

We can't discuss homosexuality? Yeah, I'd say that's a sign to move.

Alatar, are there any issues as far as you know with moving to that board? (other than the minor ones you mentioned...)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 4:23 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

How do we save threads from this board? I thought that was being done last year but then never heard of it again. I know there's almost 200,000 posts and much of it is spam, but it's important to me and I'd like a copy of it for reference's sake.

It's not unheard of for me to start freaking out, but um, the idea of B77 being deleted? Not so pleasant. :)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 8:25 am
Tricksy Elf!

*E*, Remember all thoses threads that were deleted when we opened up first to new members and then to all?

Well much of what was posted was saved, some of us still have the discs with it on. It takes up way too much space on hard drives but we could do this again if people are interested.

If I remember right Alandriel sorted this out, and knows a way to sort this out.

Sorry, havn't got tiime to say more now but it can be done, its just a long proces and somebody will need to coordinate so that we dont duplicate.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 10:14 am
of Vinyamar

We can ask for a backup from PHPBBer which will be very large and very slow. Any posts between the backup and the restore will be lost. There's no real way around that apart from people manually reposting them after the move. Alternatively, you could shut down B77 for a week while the backup takes place. Your choice.

The other problem is the size of the backup. When I got the last backup restored, Lidless domain would only handle a file of 300MB which is how big the board was then. It's sure to be well over that now. We would need to get an assurance from the new domain that they can handle the larger backup before we move anything.

That said, this needs to be done, whatever the inconvenience. We're living on borrowed time here.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 10:11 pm

Wow, not that I want to speak ill of my proprietor , but damn I didn't realise that we were living in such a narrow-minded community :Q. I second (or however many) the vote to move, 'cause that just sucks.

(I just spent ages trying to think of a sarcastic gay bashing joke but I couldn't think of anything. God, what a waste. :roll:)

"Oats For World Peace!"

Pics from Madagascar: One, Two, Three..., Four!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 8:36 pm

I'm glad something useful was done with the previous backup! How much room do you think we need for the current board size? Should we be shopping for a different web server to host the board, if the one that you linked to only allows 300 MB?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 10:39 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

For Satch.

10 reasons Gay Marriage is wrong:

1. Being gay is not natural. And as you know Americans have always rejected unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because, as you know, a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed. The sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 10:57 pm

:damnfunny:

A school book should be written with lists like that...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 11:02 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

:LMAO: Excellent, Pips. :D

Here's another list to help b77 get kicked off phpBB...

Top Ten Reasons Why Email Is Like A Penis

11. Those who have it would be devastated if it were ever cut off.

10. Those who have it think that those who don't are somehow inferior.

9. Those who don't have it may agree that it's neat, but think it's not worth the fuss that those who have it make about it.

8. Many of those who don't have it would like to try it, a phenomenon psychologists call *E-Mail Envy*

7. It's more fun when it's up, but this makes it hard to get any real work done.

6. In the distant past, its only purpose was to transmit information vital to the survival of the species. Some people still think that's the only thing it should be used for, but most folks today use it mostly for fun.

5. If you don't take proper precautions, it can spread viruses.

4. If you use it too much, you'll find it becomes more and more difficult to think coherently.

3. We attach an importance to it that is far greater than its actual size and influence warrant.

2. If you're not careful what you do with it, it can get you into a lot of trouble.

And the number one reason Why E-Mail is Like a Penis

If you play with it too much, you go blind.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 11:34 pm

As if the ToE wasn't enough...:P

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 9:17 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Bumping this because I have a premonition it might be needed. It costs nothing to copy the link.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 11:37 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Jn, how exactly do we pay for this server so that we can buy some time and save b77 from being deleted due to the swearing? ToB has done it and HoF as well, but I can't find anything that says "pay here."

S.O.S please help! :help:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 3:35 pm

*E* one does it through the admin panel. And it needs to be the "founder" of the board (which in this case is "*Alandriel*") a fictional stand-in user that I believe the Rangers have access to.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks, V! I had seen Mossy's post here but wasn't sure if *Alandriel* was the same person as *alandriel*. :blackeye:

I just got temporarily adminned, so I will look around and see what I can do, and of course if people want me to do it.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 3:43 pm
of Vinyamar

Go for it E*

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 4:00 pm

Stupid question, but where is the admin panel? :help: The boards still look the same to me, heh.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 4:07 pm
TTBK's cemmie

Generally there will be a link at the bottom of the forum to take you to the admin panel, where you will need to re-log in to access it. :)

And I say go for it too! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 4:41 pm

The bottom of any b77 forum? Or one on the phpbber boards? I took a screencap of what the Business Room at b77 looks like to me.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/ ... cap-05.jpg

Linked so as to not stretch the page.

The link you were talking about, cem, do you see it in the picture?

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 5:13 pm
TTBK's cemmie

You need to be on the main page. Then it should be at the bottom.

From what you told me on YIM it sounds like you haven't been activated as an admin yet.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: