board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Some kind of Virus

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Fixer
Post subject: Some kind of Virus
Posted: Fri 03 Feb , 2006 2:22 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

I logged into my messenger today for the first time in a couple days. I got exactly the same message from three different B77ers.
Quote:
DON'T ADD LISTEN UP!!!!!!! If someone by the name of j_neutron07 wants to add you to their list don't accept it. It's a virrus. Tell everyone on your list because if somebody on your list is adds them you will get it too. It a hard driver killer and a horrible virus. Please pass this on to everyone on your list. We need to find out who using these accounts. Sorry for the inconvenience. Right click on your group name of your buddy list and click Send Message to all.
I got this from *E*, S_O, and lady_scaper (whose B77 name I forget).

Just to be on the safe side I recommend everyone scans your PC for viruses. Something seems to be going around.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Feb , 2006 2:46 pm
b77 whipping boy

It's a virus only in the sense that people pass that message around. You cannot get a virus by adding somone to your YIM.

If you get such a message, before passing it on, go check the McCaffey or Norton websites for outbreaks. They will list real virus threats.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Feb , 2006 1:59 pm
WYSIWYG

I got this from someone as an offline message on IM!

I also thought it couldn't have been written by them, but I'll ask whether they meant to forward it, or whether their account has been invaded and the message forwarded itself.

I just clicked the message shut. I was worried, but couldn't imagine just getting such a message from someone on my list could do harm - and so far, my PC seems to be working as usual.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Feb , 2006 3:32 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

I was referring more to S_O, *E*, and lady_scaper checking their PCs over and then changing their IM passwords.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Feb , 2006 10:22 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Oh, when I think "messenger" I think of MSN. :P But yes, I did manually send that message to all my YIM contacts. Sometimes the fear thing works with me, but usually I'm able to ignore it entirely. I got that message from Wilma and S_O.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Feb , 2006 12:18 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I think I may have got it from Mossy. If not, it was probably one of the people already mentioned.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: