board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Debate Forum

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Debate Forum
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:57 pm

Is this the appropriate place to make this proposal?

The proposal is a forum for explicitly structured debates. Each debate will have 3 parties - party A, party B, and judge(s). Before the debate even begins, the number of rounds, time for posting, and the length of the posts would be formally agreed to. The judge will determine if the pre-agreed rules of the debate are violated and possibly (but not necessariliy) judge a winner.

Alternately, this could be done IN the symposium, but with a sticky of debate proposals, participants, and judges listed there.

Judges do not need to be rangers.

A completed debate should be locked by rangers.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:59 pm

Yikes. Would anyone besides you be interested in this? In a different crowd, I might be, but not here. :uhoh:

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Feb , 2006 1:31 am
b77 whipping boy

I imagine SF would... but that's all I could see...

I don't think we need a forum for 2 posters.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Feb , 2006 2:24 am
Another bright red day

The Rangers have already discussed this and agreed that a whole new debate forum is not necessary.

However, if you'd like to start a formal debate going in the Symp, go ahead. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Feb , 2006 1:53 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

And we'll be glad to help you set this up.

But the debaters will abide by the TOS, no exceptions. No personal attacks, no telling someone to "f" off or whatever, etc. It would need to be a formal debate, following all the rules of debate (which I won't pretend to know for sure, since I never did any formal debating).

What are your thoughts on that? For that matter, what are the rules of formal debate?

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Feb , 2006 8:36 pm

A club within the Symp works for me. It will need to have a sticky uptop for debate proposals, general debate rules, and volunteer judges.

Then when an actual debate occurs, the judge will start the new thread by posting the agreed to specific debate rules (number of rounds, lenths of posts, time between posts, and if a winner will be declared).

The only role for Rangers is for the judge to say "hey, Ranger, this guy who isn't part of the debate just posted there - please delete the post."

Any formal debate will have in the title of the thread "Closed Debate Thread" and then the topic and/or participants in the debate.

Once the debate is formally concluded the thread can open up to commentary or the thread can be locked.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Feb , 2006 8:48 pm
Another bright red day

Go ahead and get that started, then. :) Just let us know what needs stickying, etc.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Feb , 2006 2:56 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yep, sounds good, CG! If you haven't already started the thread you want stickied, you can PM the contents to me or to another Ranger and one of us will get it up and stickied.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Feb , 2006 4:48 pm

I'm working on the wording. I'll get it here as soon as I'm done.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: