Peeg

4% [ 1 ]
Rodia

16% [ 4 ]
Total votes: 25
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 10:45 am

Actually, guys, Eru just did a wonderful thing- she had the genius idea of making an experiment forum. I can play around there and see if I'm useless or if I have anything at all to offer you.:P

So, admin folk, you can take me off the list.:)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 11:47 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

You serious Rodia????? Tell me you're not ;)

Areanor: you did escape because you did not put yourself forward. Something I'll remember next time around :cool:

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 12:26 pm
Milk and kisses

I think that we should give admin powers to everyone who's interested. I'm woefully techno-ignorant, apart from short of time, and Griff isn't able to log into B77 from home right now. :(

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 12:32 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Where is Gimli BTW and why does he still have Admin status?

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 12:37 pm

Well, unless you decide to bring everyone in. I just don't want to confuse people- I wouldn't think I'd be a good admin at all, but I do want to take a look at the boards. (I have the opportunity to do it on the test board now) Of course if I do get there I won't shy away from any work...I'm just saying I don't think I'd be a first choice if I didn't volunteer.;)

Gimli is busy with work, he just doesn't have time for b77 or TORC or anywhere right now. As far as I understand he'll be off the admin list as soon as this vote's done?

Ber might be right though. Maybe we should just have everyone on there.

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 12:49 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Right now, let's just get this vote done and let Eru and Gimli off the hook. That gives us a few more months grace to sort things out. And if in the interim we desperately need a techy-head on board then I'm sure there must be a willing victim somewhere amongst us.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 1:13 pm
Milk and kisses

Leaving just Griff and me as admins is NOT a good idea. Griff can't get on B77 from home, and in any case she isn't feeling well right now, and I have mountainloads of work and NO tech knowledge. Unless someone strongly opposes, I'll be giving Estel (and Rodia) admin status this evening, and then we can take other decisions.

EDIT - I got Rodia online so I'm giving her admin status right now. Yell at me if you disagree, but it's an emergency.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 1:17 pm

I won't touch a thing, don't worry.

[ img ]

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 2:29 pm
WYSIWYG

Happy with giving admin powers to both Ro and Estel, although I just voted for Estel, seeing she has the time after all.

The experimental forum sounds useful - maybe just the thing for all us tech newbies if we should become admins once.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 2:35 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Firstly - Ro, it is *because* you don't think that you would make a good admin, that you would make one. Silly girl :hug:

Secondly - I don't think it's a good idea to give everyone admin status, cause then
( a ) no one would have to consult anyone when they wanted to make changes
( b ) no one would have any controls over them, and they would have unlimited power, so if someone got angry we could have *b77 a la Shadowjack*
( c ) the whole point of having voted on admin was that it would give everyone the feeling that they were making the decisions on this board, all the while keeping safety controls in place

I mean, this board is going to last a long time, and, from what we talked about in the beginning, no admin is supposed to have two stints in a row, so everyone who wants to *is* going to have a chance to be admin - perhaps not right away, no, but it will happen.
I guess I just don't think that it's a good idea suddenly changing part of what this board was all about. I mean, the voting on admin thing was in discussion while we were still in email stage.

Why dump a perfectly good idea.

What we *could* do is have positions of "active admin" and "inactive admin".

Active admin would be voted on and do the day to day running of the boards and whatnot.
Inactive admin would ask to be made admin, and would do no running of the boards - they would be purely research and experiment admin. What they figure out could be of great benefit to the boards, however, they don't do anything in the active user forums.

Do I make any sense? It's early morning, and I haven't had any coffee yet :P

Edit: Sorry, why is it an emergency?

Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 2:43 pm

Coz Ber is the only one who can access the boards right now I think.Griff can't log in from home for some reason. :( I'm an 'extra' ;)

And I've looked over the panel and stuff, and Eru's idea of the experiment forum was spot on. I'd be afraid to touch anything on this forum, worried that it would change crazily while you guys were surfing. No no no. Experiment forum it is.

[ img ]

Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 3:42 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Er, I need a bit of clarification here.

The job of admin - it's a paying position, right. Coz if it isn't, I can't see that I'd allow Estel to do it.

[ img ]

Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 4:16 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Yes it pays, in sweat and tears, in blood and bodies buried under the patio.

Errr, no, forget that last bit.

Can I say, having just dumped the position, that we only need three admin at a time. That is more than enough.

But I like the idea of the inactive admin from Estel. If folks who have been admin can be on a list to call and say 'we need help and your it' so that in a situation where we have nobody else, they can come in and do the job until folks are back.

I hate to say this as I do need a brake, but if you need me to sit in for a bit, just tell me. I would ask the same of all who have been admin just because it is part of the role.

Lets face it, we know how to do the day to day stuff, the permissions for newbies, the thread moving etc.

Just as an emergancy measure, and to give the admin in power at the time the chance to have a brake. that is what they need, just because RL can sometime take it out and this palce becomes too much.

Just my 2p worth.

Hopefully as we grow older gracefully, there will have been more people who have been admin, and more to call on ;)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 5:14 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Yells at Berhael

well done :mrgreen: (go ahead and lock this thread now).

Having an 'inactive' emergency type admin position as standby - nice idea! Thanks for the suggestion Estel. Like Dindraug - I don't mind volunteering for that. Discussion over this going on here

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 6:44 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I don't agree with everyone having admin posters. You never know...someone could get pissed off and decide to do damage. Plus, voting in admins seems much more fair...more of a democratic process.

I'm not really getting Estel's idea of inactive admins. Could you clarify it please?

I've made an b77 experiement board and anyone who would like to be made an admin there so they can take a look at the Admin panel and figure out how things work is welcome to do so.

In the meantime, I suggest noone go giving out Admin powers to people who haven't earned the job through a vote. ;)

I'd be willing to stay on for a while (afterall I thought I was staying on until the end of February), but I'm not sure that people would want that.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 6:48 pm

Eruname wrote:

In the meantime, I suggest noone go giving out Admin powers to people who haven't earned the job through a vote. ;)
You know, Eru's right. I'm playing with the test board right now- so if you guys want to unadmin me for the time being, I won't feel upset or anything.;)

[ img ]

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 6:51 pm
Milk and kisses

I'd want you Eru! :Q In fact, I need you. Griff can't access B77 from home (and in any case she isn't feeling well now so we can't demand anything from her), Gimli is too busy at work, and I'm stressed out of my wits at work right now too (it's 6:49pm and I'm still at my desk). That's why I gave Ro emergency admin powers, because over the weekend we got quite a few newbies and none of us was around to let them in, delete the invite threads, etc. Which is why I think that 3 admins is not enough, unless it's clear that the 3 can devote quite a bit of their time to the boards. 4 is a minimum, in our current circunmstances.

As for "inactive" admins - it's a bit like reservists. But there's no need to make their position official, I think; everyone knows who's been an admin, so they could ask for help to those ex-admins if necessary.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 7:22 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I'll stay on for a while, but only if everyone is okay with it. I don't want people griping that I've had too much power or something like that! ;)

Din still has the title "Site admin". Is he still an admin?

Sorry for not being around on the weekend...personal reasons really wouldn't let me.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 7:30 pm

Eru, stay on if you can. :)

I tried keeping a lookout for the new members etc but it seems all of it was taken care of before I could tell which end was which. :LMAO:

[ img ]

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 7:33 pm
WYSIWYG

I like the idea of reservist admins - if for some reason the workload becomes too much, because of new problems or real life/PC problems preventing the admin from working, this would be a good emergency solution.
Maybe it would be good to make an announcement when that happens, though, saying who has been given extraordinary admin powers and for what reasons.
Eru wrote:
I've made an b77 experiement board and anyone who would like to be made an admin there so they can take a look at the Admin panel and figure out how things work is welcome to do so.
Not sure if you mean just anyone, or only anyone who is about to turn newbie-admin, but if the former: how do you get there? :mrgreen:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 2 of 3  [ 52 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: