Isn't it time to move?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 84 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Aug , 2008 11:24 pm

Jude wrote:
What's the state of the HoF move?
No progress, but still on the agenda. I'd like to make the move pretty soon, but I'm reluctant because of the very reasons that Alatar mentioned earlier.

As for the huge Manwe thread, I seriously doubt that is causing the problems (which are pretty consistent with the problems that we have had over at HoF). The only real reason to lock the thread and start a new one is that it will be impossible to split anything out of the thread (once you get past 3000 or so posts, the moderator panel won't come up). Since that is virtually never done here, there really isn't any issue.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Aug , 2008 8:03 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Thanks, Voronwë :)

Well, I'm getting consistent errors just about every post I attempt. That is, I press the "Submit" button, it times out. I open another window to see if the post has gone through, and it hasn't. So I go to the original window, press the "back" button, and then submit again. When it finally goes through, I see that it has double-posted.

At least two people have posted that they also have trouble posting, and who knows how many other people are as well, but haven't mentioned it.

I know that one of the concerns about going through with the move is that we'll lose posts, but if we're losing posts anyway because people give up, or worse still, give up on the board entirely, then I think that the temporary chaos caused by moving is by far the lesser of two evils.

But, as a last-ditch Hail-Varda attempt, I think we should write to our current hosts and give them one last chance to fix matters. I'm willing to write it myself, but if anyone considers themselves to be good at writing polite-but-assertive letters of complaint, they can compose it, and then I could forward it to our hosts.

Anyone? :poke:

Here's what I think should be brought up in the letter:

1. There have been an unacceptable number of unexplained board outages caused by the failure of the MySql server

2. Members have been having trouble posting because of timeouts

3. We have another site on your server which has been having identical problems

4. There is a strong feeling among our members that we should move to a more reliable hosting service. If we stay, are we likely to see improved service?

5. If we do decide to move, could you confirm that we can take our domain name (board77.net) with us?

Edit: The same thing happened with this post: first it timed out, then double-posted. I deleted the extra post, though.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Aug , 2008 8:18 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

It's been doing that to me all of the time, too, Jude. :(

I nominate vison to write the letter, if you don't want to. :D

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Aug , 2008 9:22 pm
Same as it ever was

I had the same problems on Friday night, in fact, exactly identical to what Jude experienced. It was I who created that phantom page, by needing to go in and delete a duplicate post which originally had never showed up.

But, in all honesty, that was the first time in many weeks that I had it.

Does anyone know where we are in terms of the compatibility of this board to the recommended settings of the host? When I had access to the admin panel and control panel, it seemed that many upgrades had been provided which we never utilized.

Alatar has access to get to the cpanel (as do I, but I am no longer a ranger.)

Last edited by The Watcher on Sun 10 Aug , 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Aug , 2008 9:45 pm
Waiting for winter

I haven’t had any problems posting myself, just the usual slow loading issues, but then again, I haven’t been posting all that much. However, if there are people here who really want to make this happen, and are willing to put in the effort to do it, then I don’t see any reason not to. As I said earlier, there’s really no reason to involve the membership in this, unless they want to be involved. Just post a general announcement letting everyone know what’s going on, and then just do it.

The main issues to me would be being able to keep the same look and feel of the board, not losing any, or least too many posts, and keeping the domain name. That’s the biggy, imo. As long as those things happen, most people will probably not even notice the change.

*E* would have to be involved, since she owns the domain name, but other that I say that anyone else who’s willing to put in the effort, go for it.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Aug , 2008 9:53 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I see that our next annual bill is due the 26th of this month.

I think it would be overoptimistic to believe that we could be all moved by then, but I would at least like to get that letter sent before then. It might have less impact if we had just paid for a full year. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Aug , 2008 9:54 pm
of Vinyamar

Send it Jude.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 11:03 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Strange that some of you are having so many problems. I haven't.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 6:08 pm

This may be a temporary anomaly, but I just tried opening internet explorer without add ons and the pages are loading super fast, no problems.

To do this, in Windows you go to Start, then all programs, then Accessories, then System tools and then Internet Explorer (no add ons).

It seems to be working great. If add ons are the problem, I wonder which one is the problem?

edit: I was wrong. It was an anomaly. I'm getting almost as many errors as before. Not as many time outs, but still a lot of error pages.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 11:19 pm

Jude, I will be very interested to see whether they even respond to that letter (which I presume you will do as a support ticket, otherwise they won't even see it). My guess is they will ignore it; noeclue has horrible customer service.

I thought I had settled on a potential new server for HoF, but we have discovered some very bad reviews of them, so I am back to looking. But I am committed to making the move there soon.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 11:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Who was the server you rejected? (just in case we accidentally choose the same one!)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 12:13 am
Same as it ever was

This makes no sense. Some people are having issues, while others are not, and at the same time, we are taking advantage of an existing relationship via *E* that she should need to input upon.

If the move is made, I ask who pays for it? Who assumes responsibility for the bills? In any case, I do not think it is fair for *E* to pay for this again, even if she is the contact.

We get like maybe on a good day twenty posts a day? How much service do we need?

Just things that need to be considered.

Beth

I could maybe arrange to pay for a reasonable service for one year, although I certainly will not be willing to be the primary contact for it.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 1:42 pm

Jude wrote:
Who was the server you rejected? (just in case we accidentally choose the same one!)
Siteground.com

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 6:37 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Well, I'm getting consistent errors just about every post I attempt. That is, I press the "Submit" button, it times out. I open another window to see if the post has gone through, and it hasn't. So I go to the original window, press the "back" button, and then submit again. When it finally goes through, I see that it has double-posted. 
Happens to me all the time on both boards, and I have come to suspect it has something to do with the cookies on multiple phpbb sites. I post on 3 or 4 similar phpbb sites and I do think at times the cookies become corrupted and it subsequentally logs me out of all those sites. Meaning I have to log in again to each of the phpbb as opposed to remaining logged in when I revisit.

One of the phpbb sites has its own server and it generally loads faster, but I still have logging and double posting issues there as well.

A temporary solution may be to empty the cahe, delete passwords and browsing history when you shut down Explorer.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 6:47 pm

I have a family messageboard on the free version of phpbber.com and it doesn't give me any trouble at all. I'm the administrator of that board, and there's been a message viewable only to the admin since April saying
2nd April 2008 - Click here to migrate your existing forum to phpBB 3 (Viewable only to admin users)

I never clicked it, and that board works fine for me. On the other hand, I've been having trouble with this board since about then. Maybe the new program is just buggy and they haven't worked it all out yet. :shrug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 8:41 pm

I'm not really having server errors, but about 1 out of 10 subscription notice links don't work, even though there actually IS a post when I just go to the thread from the forum index...

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 11:57 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

That's been happening to me all the time too Jude, here and on HoF.

And as well as that, when I signed on yesterday, I'd been automatically logged out of both sites.

One host that's never given me any forum trouble is vbulletin.com. Any errors have been on the part of the forum admin, never the host.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Aug , 2008 12:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Here is the text of the ticket I submitted today:
Quote:
Hello,

We have an account with you under the domain name board77.net.

We have experienced an unacceptable number of board outages lately, sometimes caused by the failure of the MySQL server. In addition, our members are having difficulty posting on our phpbb message board due to server timeouts. It routinely takes two or three attempts to make a single post. We have another site on your server that has been having similar problems.

There is a strong feeling among our members that we should move to a more reliable hosting service. If we stay, are we likely to see improved service?

And finally, if we do decide to move, could you confirm that we can take our domain name (board77.net) with us?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Jude (on behalf of Board 77)
I'll post any reply we receive...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Aug , 2008 12:53 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Edit: as usual, it took me two times to make this post...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Aug , 2008 12:58 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Thanks for doing that, Jude. It sounds very professional and direct.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 84 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: