The Last Homely Site on the Web

hal, cg, sf

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
halplm
Post subject: hal, cg, sf
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:38 pm
b77 whipping boy

I don't believe the banning of both SF and CG for a week is at all appropritate action.

I believe CG is unfairly labeled for not wanting mediation between the two, as he was always askign for it, and thus such a punishment leveled on him for SF's problems, is basically allowing SF to impose a one week ban on CG, which is hardly the right thing to do.

I believe SF is continuing to attack the person rather than the idea, and CG is being punished for pointing that out.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject: Re: Need to Contact A Ranger? Post Here
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:50 pm
bioalchemist

You're welcome to your opinion.

The ruling was made during a previous Ranger term. As you are aware, mediation only happens when both parties agree. Due to the impasse, the Rangers at the time decided that sf and CG just weren't allowed to post to each other directly or obliquely. This ruling did not specify whether or not attacks had to be involved. They crossed that line and chose to continue crossing it even after multiple warnings. These are the consequences.

CG and sf went through mediation years ago. I am not sure why their old agreement no longer holds as I am not sure what their old agreement even was. But apparently it had a shelf life.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:55 pm
b77 whipping boy

and thus new action should be taken, not a knee-jerk reaction to something that happened long ago.

SF is getting what he wants out of that, and he is in the wrong, there is no way that should be the result.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:04 pm
bioalchemist

The current ruling isn't that old and the Rangers feel it remains relevant. It was hardly knee-jerk either. We gave them ample warning and they have ample history.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:04 pm
b77 whipping boy

and you're rewarding the person that causes the problem.

again.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:17 pm
bioalchemist

How is a ban a reward?

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:20 pm
Daydream Believer

Neither of the two posters are here at the moment either defend themselves or have a say otherwise. I think it would be best if it was all left to simmer down for the week, it's been very turbulant few days and IMHO maybe the week off from fighting might be a good thing.

Just my opinion of course.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:22 pm
bioalchemist

Thank you.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:30 pm
b77 whipping boy

Riverthalos wrote:
How is a ban a reward?
Because SF doesn't care about being able to talk, his only goal is to silence the people he disagrees with.

This can't be made clearer than his offer to accept a lifetime ban as long as he could take me with him.

I can say with 100% certainty he's giddy with delight at orchestrating a week long ban of CG, when he knows full well CG did nothing wrong.

The warning given to CG was completely out of line, btw. SF responded to CG, and then both were warned. That is not at all appropriate.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:35 pm

halplm wrote:
I can say with 100% certainty he's giddy with delight at orchestrating a week long ban of CG, when he knows full well CG did nothing wrong.

The warning given to CG was completely out of line, btw. SF responded to CG, and then both were warned. That is not at all appropriate.
'They were warned many times, hal.

I really wish you'd put more thought into what Eru said about not presuming to know what other people are thinking or their motives. None of us know for sure anyone else's feelings or reasonings, least of all you.

Now please drop it. As Ara-anna said, they aren't here to defend themselves, so let's just let it go.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject: Re: hal, cg, sf
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 8:37 pm
bioalchemist

hal, your opinion has been heard and noted. Our minds are not changing. This discussion is over.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 9:55 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

As the other Rangers have discussed, the temporary ban is simply an enforcement of a decision that was made some months ago regarding SF and CG based on continuing problems that the two of them have had in regards to each other. From the way I have looked at their arguments, they are each equally to blame and thus it is a fair decision to temporarily ban both of them. They will both be back in a week. But it is unacceptable to continue to let both of them overwhelm the rest of the board with their bickering.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:39 pm

The problem is, halplm is right, I was suspended for complaining to the Rangers about being subject to attack. And River's also right in that her mind is made up and she doesn't care about the rules. Apparently the official policy of this board is that complaining about attacks is against the rules.

The technicality by which the suspension was authorized is that technically I was posting about someone whose attacks I am supposed to ignore when I was complaining to the Rangers about their inaction. By that bizarre interpretation, I am unable to say "hey, ranger, I'm being attacked." The actuality by which the suspension was authorized is that acutally I was telling the rangers to do their job and do something about personal attacks.

In fact, complaining about the way the rangers do their job (or more precisely don't do their job) is a good way to get posts split off and the thread locked. Complaining about being attacked is against the rules, even though I don't find it anywhere in the charter. I see rules about not doing personal attacks, but nothing against complaining about personal attacks. Perhaps I should read the secret charter.

In the bikeracks thread that led to this supension, after the split, I only communicated with Rangers. Therefore I'm accused of arguing with someone who isn't a Ranger. In fact, when the non-ranger asked me a question, as much as I desired to answer it I did not because I'm not allowed to. I didn't even answer to say I'm not allowed to answer. I only communicated with Rangers about their job performance, which is why I was suspended.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:45 pm

I'm not sure why you persist on refering to River as "he," despite every instance she's mentioned we use the correct gender pronoun.

Just fyi, all of us Rangers stand behind her decision. So she certainly wasn't on a power trip, she was just online when she needed to be and handled the situation the same as any of us would have done. In fact, since we're new, it probably would have been handled faster if we were more familiar with the correct buttons to push. It was all that stopped me from temporarily banning you.

I don't have time to argue right now, so I'm not even going to go into the rest of your claims.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:47 pm

Will you continue to stand by her decision after I post evidence that she was wrong?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:52 pm

I don't believe she was wrong.

I already said it, but I'll say it again- I was looking up how to ban you when River got there first.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:53 pm

So you also are willing to ignore the rules.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:54 pm

I was following the rule imposed on 9/11/08 that said you two should not post with or about each other.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:55 pm

And yet, my last several posts in that thread were all to you. Strange how that worked out.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 6:56 pm

Probably because I was warning you to stop posting with sf and you didn't seem to feel that you should stop. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: