The Last Homely Site on the Web

The one week ban on sf and CG

Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 172 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
Riverthalos
Post subject: The one week ban on sf and CG
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 4:59 am
bioalchemist

This morning, as announced in the Bike Racks, sauronsfinger and Cenedril_Gildinaur were banned from Board77 for one week.

About two months ago, when CG and sf were having a spat, CG requested mediation. sf refused to cooperate. To prevent a board-wide disruption, under this clause of the Charter:
Quote:
Extraordinary Powers of Rangers
Recognizing that unforeseen events may occur which require a quick response, Board77 Rangers are expected to use their best judgment in emergencies, and to take whatever action they believe necessary to protect the board. An emergency would be an event which threatened real and immediate harm, but which is not otherwise addressed by this charter. In such an event, the Ranger(s) in question would be expected to explain the circumstances and consult with the board membership as soon as possible. Such measures are temporary by their nature and subject to review by the standing Committee for Charter Amendments.
the Rangers at the time issued this ruling:
Quote:
Originally posted 09.11.08

Here is what the rangers have decided.

No one can be forced into mediation, and sf does not wish to have mediation at this time. You may read his reasons in the thread he started (that is now locked).

CG, you may post a response (in a new thread) if you desire; you do not have to at all, but it would only be fair. That thread will then be locked as well.

Because mediation will not be happening, and the two of you still have an issue with each other, we are asking you to refrain from posting directly to or obliquely about each other.

If you do not abide by that ruling, then you will have a one-week ban from posting.
There is no written time limit on a temporary ruling made under Emergency Powers. No committee was convened, but, again, this board doesn't receive a lot of traffic (most days...) and it's only been a couple months. The ruling remains valid.

Today and yesterday, as sf and CG were erupting into another spat that threatened to disrupt the board, they chose to ignore repeated warnings issued by myself and the other Rangers regarding the above ruling. So, using the Special Emergency Powers, I acted on the 9/11/08 ruling regarding sf and CG and imposed the one week ban. I did this with the backing of my fellow Rangers. I posted to the Bike Racks within minutes of hitting the ban button. In seven days, CG and sf will be back. If the board's programming is working properly, that's a guarantee. CG and sf are the only members this ruling applies to.

This evening (my time), CG emailed one of my fellows demanding a Hearing against me for abuse of power. I am posting this here and now because I, and the other Rangers, feel that the board deserves to know what is going on. While the Rangers do not at present feel that a Hearing is necessary, we should put together a committee to discuss the 9/11/08 ruling and make it permanent or make it go away. CG will have his posting rights restored next week, right in time for the holidays. Because he is not here to defend himself, it would be best if we all refrained from pointing fingers and debating my fate and his. Any posts along those lines will be sent to the Bike Racks. And who knows. If CG makes a strong enough case on his return, he may even get his Hearing. I would, however, like the membership to consider the 9/11/08 ruling and how they feel about keeping or discarding it. I'd also like people interested in participating in a committee to start assembling themselves. Whether it's a yea or nay on the Hearing, we really need to get this ruling retired or instituted on a permanent basis.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject: Re: The one week ban on sf and CG
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 5:24 am
b77 whipping boy

wait, so your proposing a hearing to make this ruling permanent, but not a hearing for abuse of power?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 5:26 am
bioalchemist

I'm proposing a committee meeting to either permanently discard or install the ruling.

The hearing will have to wait until CG gets back to make his formal request and convince two Rangers I abused my power.

Until then, this discussion is limited to the standing but temporary ruling made on 9/11/08 regarding CG and sf under the Special Emergency Powers.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 5:34 am
b77 whipping boy

so you guys are making it up as you go along... like you invented the ruling that caused this in the first place...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 5:36 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Just asking: is it appropriate for me to volunteer for that committee as I was the Ranger who issued that ruling (on behalf of the other Rangers at the time)?

I'll give whatever input you'd like or is appropriate. Likewise, I'll stay out of whatever I need to, as well. Just let me know.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 5:46 am

I rather think it would be useful to have you on the committee, Lali, if for no other reason that to hear the thoughts that went into that ruling. Also because I think you're awesome, but I suppose that isn't as relevant at the moment. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 5:59 am
bioalchemist

From the Charter regarding Amendments and Committes:
Quote:
Board77 recognizes standing committees which can be convened at any time without a vote of the membership according to the terms described here.

¶1: Committee for Amendments to the Charter
The purpose of this committee is to compose amendments to the Charter, to assure consistency between amendments and the existing Charter, and to conduct the ratification of amendments in accordance with Article 12, ¶2.

The committee will convene under three circumstances:
• A Ranger has exercised Extraordinary powers requiring review in accordance with Article 3, ¶5. The committee will decide whether the circumstance is anticipated to occur again with sufficient frequency to justify an Amendment to the Charter;
• An Initiative to amend the Charter is brought by the Mayor, or by two current Rangers, or by five members regardless of their status;
• The quorum as calculated from a moving average falls below 20% and the board must reconsider participation requirements for Binding Votes and ratification of Charter Amendments.

The ratification procedure and the archiving of committee threads, ratification thread, and committee ballots with voting results must be completed in accordance with Article 12, ¶2.
Quote:
¶2: Amendments to the Charter
Ratified by the membership August 8, 2005

A committee to Amend the Charter can be convened under three circumstances:
• A Ranger has exercised Extraordinary powers requiring review in accordance with Article 3, ¶5. The committee will decide whether the circumstance is anticipated to occur again with sufficient frequency to justify an Amendment to the Charter;
• An Initiative to amend the Charter is brought by the Mayor, or by two current Rangers, or by five members regardless of their status;
• The quorum as calculated from a moving average falls below 20% and the board must reconsider participation requirements for Binding Votes and ratification of Charter Amendments.

Composition of the Committee
The committee will have an odd number of members, no fewer than seven, no more than thirteen. The Mayor and one Loremaster will be voting members of this committee. The composition of the rest of the committee will be as follows:

If the committee was convened after the exercise of Extraordinary powers by a Ranger, it will also include:
• the current Ranger who was involved in the incident and one other current Ranger;
• one former Ranger;
• a minimum of two volunteers from among the rest of the membership.

If the committee was convened by an initiative of the Mayor or two current Rangers, it will also include:
• the two current Rangers who brought the initiative;
• one former Ranger;
• a minimum of two volunteers from among the rest of the membership.

If the committee was convened by an initiative of the members, it will also include:
• one current Ranger;
• one former Ranger;
• a minimum of three volunteers from among the membership, one of whom will be a member who brought the initiative;
• and if five or more volunteers are accepted from among the membership, two of them will be members who brought the initiative.

The Committee will be convened by posting a sticky thread in the Business Forum and accepting volunteers in order until the committee is filled and composed as required. Any registered member may serve on the committee.

Committee Procedure
The committee will convene in the Jury Room for deciding whether the Charter should be amended and for drafting the amendment. The committee itself will vote on elements of the amendment before presenting a final form to the membership for ratification.

The membership will be given ten full days to discuss the amendment. During that period, anything deemed controversial may be removed and tabled for later consideration, or the amendment may be withdrawn. Following the discussion a yes/no poll will be posted in the thread and members will vote for ten full days, whether or not to ratify the amendment.

A Global email will be sent to all registered member at the start of the discussion and at the start of the vote.
Frak me, I have to be on the committee. Lali, as a former Ranger, you can be included if you wish it.

This is going to be a bit problematic for me as I am trying to graduate. If y'all could have waited until after Dec. 12 to get rowdy my life would be on helluva lot easier. :P

Okay, I'm going to sticky this. Consider this the call for volunteers.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 6:22 am
b77 whipping boy

I'll be on it.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 6:25 am
bioalchemist

Okay, so if it's me, you, and hopefully Lali we need one more Ranger, the Mayor, a Loremaster, and at least one more member in good standing before we can even call ourselves a committee.

We also need someone to chair the committee once we've got all the people assembled. I will not take that job. I don't have the time.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 6:26 am
b77 whipping boy

I vote for Lali, if she's ok with it.

Profile Quote
Elian
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 8:10 am
Let the dice fly.

Erm...we don't even have a Mayor, do we? The post's been vacant since Eru gave up the job...some years ago, I believe.

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 8:49 am
bioalchemist

Oh my...

I'm not sure if I want to laugh or cry.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Elian
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 9:03 am
Let the dice fly.

I suppose, unless someone sweeps in now and offers to run for Mayor in the next day or so ( ;) ) that we could have a poll here asking if anyone objects to filling that committee spot with a third regular poster in place of the absent Mayor. Seems the fairest thing to do to me.

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 2:18 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Riverthalos wrote:
This is going to be a bit problematic for me as I am trying to graduate. If y'all could have waited until after Dec. 12 to get rowdy my life would be on helluva lot easier. :P
Would there be a problem with holding the hearing after the 12th, then?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 2:29 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I'll volunteer.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 2:30 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I will serve on the committee, but I'm fine with waiting till Dec. 12th if we need to (or can). I think Elian's suggestion of replacing the Mayor with another regular poster is very reasonable.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Farawen
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 2:49 pm
Far out

I'll volunteer.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 4:25 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Just out of curiousity: for the committee to come to a decison, will it be a majority vote, 2/3rds what? Because I already can tell that not everyone will agree.

I suppose I can fill in the place of the Mayor if no one else wants to.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 4:43 pm
bioalchemist

You're the one with the experience for it.

The minimum on this committee is seven people so my guess is we're proceeding by simple majority.

Mayor: Eru (??)
Loremaster:
Current Ranger who started this whole thing: Riverthalos
Current Ranger:
Former Ranger: Lali
Membership: halplm, Farawen, Estel

Jude, are you offering to get mixed up in this too?

I know, hal and Estel are also former Rangers. I thin ka lot of the regulars in good standing are former Rangers. :/

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 4:46 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Riverthalos wrote:
Jude, are you offering to get mixed up in this too?
Sure, okay.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 172 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jump to: