The Last Homely Site on the Web

Request for a hearing about "The Rangers" and myself

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 48 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Holbytla
Post subject: Re: Request for a hearing about "The Rangers" and myself
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:04 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

No it is my position that is the first thing on the agenda because that is the first happening. A committee is automatic when rangers use extraordinary powers and that happened when you were temp banned. That isn't my choice. That is the way it is.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Elian
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:04 am
Let the dice fly.

I'm not 'afraid' of having my actions analyzed either.

Whether I think it's technically called for is another matter.

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:05 am

Well, we've got the two. Now this matter must be shelved until the committee matter is finished.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:05 am
bioalchemist

FOr the record, that was not permission. It was never intended as permission. That is one of the ways in which I give adults a warning.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Elian
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:09 am
Let the dice fly.

CG, you do not, anywhere in this thread or elsewhere, currently have two Rangers stating they believe there is just cause for a hearing against any or all of us. Please don't misrepresent what people have actually said.

What does it take

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:11 am

How many do you count?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:16 am

I count two of us explicitly saying we feel we did no wrong and therefor aren't worried about being judged.

I count zero Rangers saying they believe a Hearing is warranted.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:18 am

Ah. "I do not fear being judged, but I won't say I should be judged."

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:19 am

It's not the next issue we need to deal with, so I don't think we should be judged right now. :)

edit...as in, officially judged before the other issues Holby mentioned are dealt with.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Elian
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:35 am
Let the dice fly.

Quote:
Ah. "I do not fear being judged, but I won't say I should be judged."
Actually, more like "I don't believe I've done anything wrong and therefore being 'judged' would be a waste of time and effort." And I refuse to be goaded into saying otherwise.

What does it take

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 11:33 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

The fact of the matter is, a member cannot call a hearing without ranger support. In this case where the poster is trying to get a hearing called against all the rangers, I would say that, instead of getting unanimous agreement from the five rangers, he would have to get support from at least five members of the board. Those members would have to be members in good standing - i.e. have never needed mediation with another member, have never had a hearing called against them, have never been confined to the bikeracks and have never been banned. Basically, members who would not have a predetermined bias against the rangers or against CG and would be able to look at the situation objectively.

I don't see anyone supporting a hearing against the rangers.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:14 pm
b77 whipping boy

I would, but you've made up rules where I don't have a voice... rules with no foundation whatsoever.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 12:54 pm

Pretty sure she made the whole thing up, as it's her opinion on a good way to proceed. :) I think it makes a lot of sense.

And hal, I haven't even seen four other posters (if we were to be counting you as one of the five) agreeing with CG.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 2:36 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Hal, you would support a hearing against the rangers because you have a beef with the rangers. That doesn't make you in the least bit objective.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't be able to be involved in that hearing either, as I, obviously, wouldn't be objective towards CG. You aren't the only one who wouldn't have a voice. I "made up rules" that took my voice away as well.

You and I would both have to suck it up and deal with it. The difference is, I would, whereas you would call yourself a victim.

In the end, there won't be a hearing because there simply isn't a precedent in the charter for it. If CG really wants to get something changed, he should drop the idea of a current hearing against the rangers, and instead try to get an amendment made to the charter where a normal member could, indeed, call for a hearing with support from other members of the board, just as a ranger could call for a hearing with support from the other rangers. Granted, that amendment couldn't be grandfathered, but it would give him the abilities in the future to do what he is ineffectually fighting to do now.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 6:45 pm
b77 whipping boy

Or, the rangers could just admit the whole idea of banning him for a week was a bad Idea and wrong, and maybe the whole thing could be put behind us. Maybe.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 6:58 pm
Insolent Pup

hal, you can't criticize Estel for coming up with an idea here. There is no precedent for this kind of a hearing, so we, as a board, need to find some rules to agree on to proceed.

I do support CG's hearing. So, there is one. I don't think I appear to have any bias against anyone in this case. I've agreed with CG at times, and disagreed with him at times. I also have no beef with any rangers.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 7:40 pm
of Vinyamar

As a former Ranger, I absolutely support the temp banning of SF anf CG. I would have done it sooner had I been on active Ranger duty, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 8:43 pm

Estel wrote:
The fact of the matter is, a member cannot call a hearing without ranger support. In this case where the poster is trying to get a hearing called against all the rangers, I would say that, instead of getting unanimous agreement from the five rangers, he would have to get support from at least five members of the board. Those members would have to be members in good standing - i.e. have never needed mediation with another member, have never had a hearing called against them, have never been confined to the bikeracks and have never been banned. Basically, members who would not have a predetermined bias against the rangers or against CG and would be able to look at the situation objectively.

I don't see anyone supporting a hearing against the rangers.
That's a very interesting idea, but I don't see a whole lot of the members who aren't rangers necessarily knowing that they can voice much of an opinion on this.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 9:00 pm
b77 whipping boy

Alatar wrote:
As a former Ranger, I absolutely support the temp banning of SF anf CG. I would have done it sooner had I been on active Ranger duty, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Then it's a good thing you weren't as that would certainly be an abuse of your power.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 9:15 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Your opinion.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 48 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »