Oh, sorry. :P Yeah, I'll do it. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject: Re: Call for a Committee to Amend the Charter
Posted: Sat 29 Nov , 2008 10:03 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

That's good advice, yov.

And it reminds me of something else ... in the past we've had a parallel thread in the Business Room so that members who are not on the committee can also give input. We'll do that again.

eta: OK, thanks, Rebecca

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 12:15 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

From the other thread I wrote:
Quote:
So I gotta say I'm not that keen on having to wade through all this stuff so if there's another person out there that wants to toss their hat it, please do so.
I still feel that way. I don't know if I could really deal with this. So yeah, leaning much more towards I'd really rather not have to be on the committee.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 12:53 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Hey, I've been really really busy with stuff. I volunteered my services in some thread or other, but I really can't take the time off to trawl through all that stuff at the moment, what with essays and projects and exams coming up.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 3:55 am

Eru, no problem. If you were still acting as Mayor it would be different, but you shouldn't be obligated to do stuff just because we failed to replace you.

Crucifer, I didn't see your name for this particular job in the other thread, so I didn't have you on the list. I apologize if I overlooked you before, but if you don't want to do it anyway then it comes out even. :P

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 9:55 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I'm not saying that I won't do it if those two are also on the committee. I just want strong assurances from them that they will put the health of the board first... above any personal agendas. We don't have enough people posting anymore for the board to be considered even the least bit healthy. Any more big dramas and we could lose even more posters. Then it wouldn't matter what their issues are, becaue they would only be posting with each other.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 8:34 pm

Thanks, Estel.

What I would like to see from sf and CG before we start:

1. from sf, that he still wants to be on the committee, because he hasn't posted confirmation yet, and I really am not sure whether this is the committee he wanted

2. from CG, who has confirmed participation, that he agrees with the content of my last post about his particular concerns. I'm going to put the agenda to a vote of the committee, and issues the committee chooses not to deal with are not going to be dealt with. So I need to hear from CG that he's ok with that, and that if he wants to pursue the mass-hearing provision and the committee does not want to, he will form a second committee for that purpose rather than derailing this one.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 8:39 pm

p.s. Alatar, after we get a response from sf and CG, could I ask you to confirm again as well, since the terms of their participation were a concern for you too

Also, the list now in the first post has 12 people, so we need one more to have an odd number (or one less, if it turns out that way).

TED has been really interested in this for a long time but I haven't seen him on the board the past few days. Would it be possible to contact him by email and tell him this is happening?

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 9:24 pm
Insolent Pup

You can count me in. I was not at my computer all weekend, but Jny is right about my interest.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 9:28 pm

I would be willing to be on it if it is not a disruption

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 10:16 pm

Great. Thanks, guys.

I've got to PM the Rangers to find out how a couple procedures are executed these days, and then we'll start.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 10:28 pm
Insolent Pup

When we begin--is Jny the leader of this committee?--can we have a "ready, set, go" posted here or PMed?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 10:35 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Dunno, but I'd be fine with Jny being in charge. Did she volunteer for that? :)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 10:42 pm
Insolent Pup

I'm not volunteering her, only asking since she started this thread, and called this committee.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 11:07 pm

yovargas wrote:
Jnyusa wrote:
It might be a plus to have both guys on the committee because we won't be tempted to use them as examples (!) and will focus instead on the generic problems that might arise with any small group of posters.
In a sense, I think that's part of the problem with the "let's consult the charter" approach - by and large, there hasn't been a generic kind of problem that needs to be addressed. IMO, just about any time there's some problem that the Rangers need or are asked to address, it's a different thing. Because of this, I strongly believe that any problems that arise should be dealt with on a case by case basis. The Rangers should never feel handicapped from doing what they feel is the sensical and practical thing in one given situation just because it didn't happen to be in "the Charter".
Sorry for repeating this but I feel pretty strongly about this and especially since Jn responded positively to my notion, I wanted to put it out there again in the hopes that it'd be in peoples mind while this in going on.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 11:12 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I agree with you and I prefer relying on common sense.
From the start of this board, the rangers have been left powerless. After seeing how things have gone the last few years, I am guessing that people feel the need for rangers to have some ability to actually make decisions.
I think the pendulum has swung a bit back towards the center and I think the board prefers that rangers have the power to make some decisions.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 11:12 pm
Insolent Pup

Thanks for repeating that, yov. I think it is a good way of thinking for future problems.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 11:30 pm

TED,

Right now I'm in charge of this thread, because I started it, but I don't consider myself in charge of the committee. Looking at the committee, in fact, most of you were not on the original charter committee and I think that's a big plus.

I wanted to check with Rebecca about a couple things before starting because it's been so long since I did a committee here. But I just heard back from her, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do right now to get the ball rolling, and then I'll tell you what role I propose for myself after we've started, and you all can say whether you agree with it or not.

• Right now I'm going to start a thread in the BR/JR and paste the proposed agenda into it. The first thing we have to do is approve the agenda, so I'm going to ask three questions about that and, depending upon what people answer, I'll modify the agenda and put it to a vote.

Once we approve the agenda, anyone can lead the committee, imo.

• The role I propose for myself is "ramrod." :D Someone has to draft a ballot when a ballot is needed, count votes if there's a secret ballot, format nicely (with colors and all) the new text while the discussion goes on to the next item, and a bunch of donkey stuff like that which frees the committee to keep moving along, hence "ramrod."

On the original charter committee I did probably 90% of that work. (We always had a couple people counting votes but those ballots were more complicated than these will be.) Last time all that stuff was very time consuming, and I also expressed a lot of opinions in the threads while doing the other stuff. This time the donkey work itself is a lot simpler, e.g. it's unlikely we'll need instant runoff voting, and I don't have a lot of opinions to express, so I don't mind being the ramrod, and that's probably the most productive thing I could do for the committee.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 01 Dec , 2008 2:26 am

Jnyusa wrote:
Thanks, Estel.

What I would like to see from sf and CG before we start:

1. from sf, that he still wants to be on the committee, because he hasn't posted confirmation yet, and I really am not sure whether this is the committee he wanted

2. from CG, who has confirmed participation, that he agrees with the content of my last post about his particular concerns. I'm going to put the agenda to a vote of the committee, and issues the committee chooses not to deal with are not going to be dealt with. So I need to hear from CG that he's ok with that, and that if he wants to pursue the mass-hearing provision and the committee does not want to, he will form a second committee for that purpose rather than derailing this one.
Yes, count me in. I can abide by an agenda, even if it doesn't have what I want on it.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject: Re: Member Input to Charter Committee
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 11:45 pm

Folks, we need an additional volunteer for the charter amendment committee to make an odd number. Anyone up for it?

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 80 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: