board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

thread locked

Locked   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
sauronsfinger
Post subject: thread locked
Posted: Sat 07 Nov , 2009 10:12 pm

I posted a thread in SYMPOSIUM on honoring the dead persons killed in mass shootings. It has been locked. I think this is a gross abuse of Ranger power. I agree that the subject is most "inconvenient" and makes people feel "uncomfortable" and that they do not want it discussed. So what? Sometimes we have to face the hard and cold ugliness of reality.

What are we afraid of in a simple discussion? Nobody will be killed or shot or harmed in any way. Has rampant political correctness run amok here also?

What is VILE is that we turn on the news and read about 13 innocent people murdered. When will be acknowledge that their is a price to pay for guns in our society?

Are there some things that can be discussed in the news but not here?

Sorry, but I just don't get it.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

elfshadow
Post subject: Re: thread locked
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 12:02 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

sf, if you wanted to create a thread that was actually honoring the victims of Fort Hood, I would gladly keep that thread open. If you wanted to start a thread to discuss the second amendment, I would gladly keep it open. But mixing the two in the mocking way you did was, IMO, unacceptable. I support the decision to close the thread and it will remain locked.

vison
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 1:23 am
Best friends forever

I agree that locking the thread was a proper decision and I would have done exactly the same thing.

sf, you know perfectly well why the thread was locked and this disengenuous crap isn't making you any friends. Give it a rest. Is that plain enough?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 3:53 am

Well, I have no power here ... or anywhere it would seem. What I find disgusting and vile is we stand by incident after incident and pretend that once these folks are buried then its all okay... until the next time.

Yes, I was being controversial and provocative. If that is what it takes to get people to take notice and began a deep discussion, then so be it.

And I really do feel that these dead people are paying the price for the rest of us.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

elfshadow
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 5:49 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

sf, I think you can start a deep discussion without being deeply offensive, and I suggest you do that. In the meantime, I'm locking this thread--you said what you wanted to say and your comments have been heard. I continue to stand by the decision to lock your Symposium thread. If you have anything further to say on this topic, I think it's best for you to PM myself or any of the Rangers. I don't want this thread to turn nasty.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: