The Last Homely Site on the Web

HoF down? TORC down? General Help for Sister Board Issues

Post Reply   Page 5 of 32  [ 630 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 732 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: HoF down? TOB down? General Help for Sister Board Issues
Posted: Tue 21 Aug , 2012 3:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

You should both tell us about your airport experiences! I always followed that thread with interest.

If HoF is down, probably b77 would also be down if we were still on the same server. It's a good thing we moved.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 21 Aug , 2012 4:37 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yep!

HoF is up now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 21 Aug , 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Frelga, good to see you. I do post on TORC (mainly in Movies), but I never really chatted there. Actually, I haven't been to TORC much lately - not too many Hobbit discussions that interest me, and I haven't had much time, so I stopped checking it often.

Jude, the TSA experience was this:
I was directed to the backscatter, while DH was sent to the metal detector. (I did get the impression the document checker was sending more women than men to the backscatter machine. Maybe because they didn't expect us to make waves?)

But the setup there is that the backscatter machine and metal detector are side by side. And with the international departures all leaving around 5 pm, the checkpoint was busy. So both were open.

The screeners in our lanes didn't say a word when people in the backscatter lane got to the front of the line, ignored the machine, crossed over and walked through the metal detector instead. I did - and so I didn't have to opt out - and so did several people behind me.

On top of that, they were being "old school" and if the metal detector beeped, they tried very hard to figure out what metal you might be carrying, then sent you through again. Not straight to the full body patdown like a few months ago at SFO.

In a nutshell, it looked like they were doing their best to avoid patdowns. All in all, it was surprisingly painless after the misery of our last U.S. checkpoint experience.

On the other hand, I have to say that European security was refreshing. No shoe removal, no fuss, no shouting. And though DH had a patdown once, it was obviously different - the woman just *patted* to check him for weapons. (not like the one in the U.S., where he was rubbed all over his body, including a careful rub over his genitalia). He wasn't the least bothered by the one in Europe. Also interesting that we had no questions at all, going through passport control in Germany. He just looked at our passports and said "welcome to Germany." The U.S. side questioned us more, coming home (where did you go? why? etc), though it wasn't terrible by any means.

And Lalaith, thanks, I might if I have time. :)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Posted: Thu 23 Aug , 2012 2:47 pm

Jude wrote:
If HoF is down, probably b77 would also be down if we were still on the same server. It's a good thing we moved.
That was always a bit of a concern, with both boards on the same server. At least now if one is down people can check in on the other.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 23 Aug , 2012 3:39 pm

That is another benefit of the move. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 23 Aug , 2012 3:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

By the way, Inky, I'm not sure why your posts are being held for moderation - that's why your first post didn't appear for nearly a week, because it had to be manually approved (and I didn't notice :oops: ). I may have fixed it - I removed you from the "New Users" group, so hopefully your posts should show up as soon as you make them.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to do some more fiddling...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 28 Aug , 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks, Jude - I promise not to be a troll or spambot. ;)
It is a little hard to have a conversation when you're not sure when a post will appear (and if it will even make sense at that point.) Though, to be honest, I didn't notice the long delay the first time. We went on vacation two days later.

I'll see if it works.
Edit: Yes, it appeared immediately. Thanks.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 28 Aug , 2012 2:25 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yay! It worked!

Oh, I forgot to add: congratulations on a slightly-better airport experience. Maybe the TSA has been following your thread and finally realized how badly they've been behaving?

One can always hope...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 24 Sep , 2012 1:44 pm

You know, Jude, maybe all of us squeaky wheels have done some good. :) The TSA is starting to get rid of the backscatter machines and replace them with MMW. Boston just had some replaced, and they've started doing it in Chicago, too.

(Not that I claim any personal credit for this!)

EDIT - PLEASE IGNORE WHAT I SAID EARLIER - the TSA is just moving the backscatter machines from many major airports, and putting them in smaller airports where fewer people will be affected. *bangs head on desk*
http://www.propublica.org/article/tsa-r ... r-airports
They claim it's for staffing and time reasons, not the x-ray exposure and privacy concerns.

Last edited by aninkling on Fri 19 Oct , 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 24 Sep , 2012 4:27 pm
Aspiring to heresy

And is there a difference in the attitude of TSA employees, that you've noticed?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 28 Sep , 2012 3:22 pm

Sorry, Jude, I didn't notice your question earlier.

I can't say, since I haven't flown since then. I really do fly as little as possible, these days. I only took the trip to Europe because I knew I would only have to deal with the TSA once, when leaving the U.S.

Edit: btw, ABC news might be a place to check. They're apparently collecting "my experiences with the TSA" stories on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/YourTsaExperiences
They've also gone after the TSA for theft. ABS News left 10 iPADs at checkpoints - 9 were returned, one was stolen by a TSA agent. Even I wouldn't have predicted they'd get that lucky, that fast. :roll:

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 10:59 am
The best things in life are not things

Anyone else having trouble accessing HoF currently? It's been down at least since I woke up this morning (4 hours ago!)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 12:16 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I can see it just fine... :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 1:40 pm
The best things in life are not things

Oh, okay...it's working for me now (since I got back in from work!)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 16 May , 2013 7:14 pm

I can't tell if there are issues with HoF, or if it's just my connection that is messed up. Anyone else having issues?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Posted: Thu 16 May , 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah, it is down. I have submitted a support ticket, but I haven't heard back yet.

This happened on Monday, too, but they got it back up right away then. Hopefully, it won't be down long.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 16 May , 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks, Voronwe! I noticed it on Monday, but then again, like you said, it resolved pretty quickly.

I hope it's up and running soon!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Posted: Thu 16 May , 2013 9:17 pm

It should be up now. Let me know if you have any more troubles (I am subscribed to this thread, so I will get noticed if you post here).

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 16 May , 2013 9:40 pm

Hunh. I'm still having issues, but I'll check it again tonight. I'm heading out the door now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 19 May , 2013 5:58 pm

Anyone else keep getting logged out of HoF? Seems like every time I click on something it logs me out.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 32  [ 630 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 732 »
Jump to: