The Last Homely Site on the Web

Need to Contact A Ranger? Post Here

Post Reply   Page 1 of 83  [ 1648 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 583 »
Jnyusa
Post subject: Need to Contact A Ranger? Post Here
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:41 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

This thread replaces the old "Talk to a Ranger" thread because the discussion there has gone off in a completely different direction and I did not want to disturb it by locking the thread.

This thread is for members who need to ask questions of a Ranger because they need for something to be handled.

I will split off any extraneous discussion here so that the thread remains usable for all 300+ members.

Jn

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:49 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Now that you've spent all that time doing that would it be too much trouble to change my rank....please.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:53 pm

Mary, I was hoping some other Ranger would pick that one up because I am not allowed to have words like that in my sig. I feel just the tiniest bit of resentment having to put them in the ranks of other people and participate in a double standard that makes me rather sick to my stomach, truth be told.

But I see that no one else has been online, so I'll go do it for you now.

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:05 pm

Buck up, Jn. At least no one has compared YOU to Darth Vader. :)

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:05 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I'm not a Ranger Jny and I've never criticized using swear words on the boards and it doesn't violate the charter. In fact the charter states that I can use adult language. So why punish me because you are resentful.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:06 pm
b77 whipping boy

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Buck up, Jn. At least no one has compared YOU to Darth Vader. :)
Hey, even Darth Vader came back from teh Dark side...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:09 pm

I wasn't punishing you, TheMary. I was ... procrastinating in the hopes that another Ranger would show up and do it in my stead. Someone who's allowed to have things like that in their own sig. Holby, for example. :)

But no one's here and you are correct that there's nothing wrong with you wanting that rank under B77 standards, so I fixed it for you.

Voronwe - well it might be a compliment to be compared to Darth Vader. He hardly shows his age at all.

:LMAO:

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:21 pm

TheMary wrote:
I'm not a Ranger Jny and I've never criticized using swear words on the boards and it doesn't violate the charter. In fact the charter states that I can use adult language. So why punish me because you are resentful.
Slight correction, if I may, TM. It is doesn't violate the enforceable provisions of the Charter. But the Member's Rights and Responsibilities does say that members have :
Quote:
the responsibility to refrain from unnecessary cursing or obscenities.
Of course, your definition of what unnecessary cursing or obscenities is is naturally different then mine, or the other people that were on the original drafting committee. This is one of the reasons why the "throw the Charter out and start over" crowd might find that they have an unlikely ally, if I am allowed to continue here as I want to. I've this before, and I'll see it again, many of the assumptions that we (the original drafters of the Charter) made have proved to be untrue.

hal, just to clarify, I think your signature is hilarious.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:23 pm

I just split two posts off from this thread. (The two before Voronwe/s).

Let's everyone try to keep this thread reserved for things requiring action.

Thanks.

Jn

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:50 pm

I sure hope we don't get a lot of bad words to be changed into ranks, now. :( I don't use such words (unless I'm referring to an actual female canine, non-spayed) and I would not appreciate having to touch them, so to speak.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 8:40 am
Gloriosus

Friends, I got a mail from Khorazir this weekend who got shut out of the board due to the software changes (there still may be some other members out there suffering the same fate). She complained that there was no possibility to contact a Ranger through a visible email adress, so I agreed with her to propose we make them visible somehow - with an "at" so spambots don't see them. What do you say? Shall we make a global announcement out of it?

– – –

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 2:51 pm

Sounds good to me. :)

mariahobbit at hotmail.com

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 8:23 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Rangers, friends

I'm coming to you with an unusual request, namely to 'retire' my identity yet keep it accessible to all Rangers/Admins should this become necessary at any time in the future. Thing is - and yes, I should have asked this a long while back already but time just flew by and I let it :oops: - despite the fact that B77 has a well working rotating Admin/Ranger system in place, as the founder of B77, I will forever stay the Admin of record with phpbb. It's about time this was to change and I be made a regular member.

I've contacted PHPBB and asked them how to go about handing over the admin of record account to someone else and their answer was quite simple: just hand it over, let other people access it; and that would of course be the Rangers.
Thing is, I still want to use my Alandriel ID. It's grown rather comfortable on me over the years :)
PHPBB said the name could be altered and hand in hand with that also the password, email etc. So, with your permission, I would propose the following

- edit the username Alandriel to new **alandriel** (posts done by me up to date will remain recognizable

- create a new password for **alandriel** of your choosing (don't tell me), fill in the b77 yahoo address as email address and then deactivate this user (not delete, just deactivate ;) )

- make this information available somewhere under 'sensitive'; just in case a Ranger some day may need to access it

- I will create a new account with just the good ol' Alandriel and I can go 'back to normal'

Please consider my request and let me know. Thanks :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 8:31 pm
Living in hope

Alandriel, though I'm not a real Ranger, I have to say this sounds to me like a really good solution to the problem. I'd been thinking it would have to be an actual person, but of course it can just be an ID like Mayor or Administrator, maintained by the Rangers. That's brilliant. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 8:40 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Alandriel, I certainly respect your decision and think your idea is a good one. I do have to say that I always felt it a comforting thought knowing that no matter what, you were there in the backgroung holding the keys.
In any case while I agree with you, I don't feel comfortable, being nothing more than a temporary caretaker, in making that kind of decision.
I would feel I was overstepping my authority.
I am not sure how to reach this decision, and the last thing we need around here is to have another debate.
I am open to suggestions.
Still wish you were the caretaker in perpetuity. I can't think of anyone I trust more.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 8:43 pm
Living in hope

I should have said that, too, because I certainly feel it. The keys could not possibly be in the hands of any individual I would trust more. :love:

Which is why I like this solution. . . .

I also think this decision is Alandriel's to make and doesn't require a vote. Her decisions as admin of record, if she had ever chosen to exercise that capacity, would have been hers to make.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 8:57 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Thanks Prim and Holby :)
It's a decision that's been long in coming and I thought about how to go about it ever since we created the Charter. It all worked so well with the Ranger handovers going smoothly I kind of just 'forgot' about it. However, lately my online time's are getting fewer and fewer, out of necessity not out of choice really and so the decision to finalize this once and for all (before the year is out and before I 'forget' again) came about.

I'm glad that you like my suggestions. I think it's really the best way for B77, the rangers and me.

Of course, if any of the Rangers (or any member for that matter) feels this needs a wider discussion, then I'll gladly comply. It does not have to be settled today, nor tomorrow for that matter. I just wanted to put it into the pipeline so to speak with the hope of settling it, preferrably before 17th December (then I'm off for a much needed break for two weeks and I'd rather not have it on my mind ;) )

... and Holby, you're entirely too charming once again :D

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 9:06 pm

Well, first of all, Alandriel did a marvelous job setting this site up and then turning it over to the members and being the perpetual voice of reason on the Charter committee.

We all owe her our profound thanks. And, as site administrator of record, the decision is hers to make.

Yes, we can put the i.d. into the hands of the rangers jointly. But I foresee some potential problems with this down the road, and I'm not sure this is the best of all times to discuss them. If there really is an initiative in the immediate future to change the charter in significant ways, we will have to give serious consideration to the implications of Rangers also being administrators of record.

Jn

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 9:32 pm
Daydream Believer

I need to contact two rangers for the purpose of calling a hearing.

Thank you.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 9:47 pm
Living in hope

Ara, I am here, but I'm only a Ranger until Wednesday and shouldn't get involved. I just wanted you to know I was not ignoring your post.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 83  [ 1648 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 583 »
Jump to: