The Last Homely Site on the Web

Thread for Technical Discussions regarding Board77

Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Alatar
Post subject: Thread for Technical Discussions regarding Board77
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 12:05 pm
of Vinyamar

Well, it seems that Jude and I have been unofficially adopted as the founders of the Tech Committee. This thread is intended to serve as a meeting place and discussion for technical issues related to the board, the board software, updates and security issues.

Initially, our aim is to investigate the potential problemns we will face in moving the baord to the new domain. There is a test PHPBB set up on the new domain, but it is largely unconfigured. Our hope is that we will be able to recreate the board on the new domain with minimal post loss when the backup is delivered from PHPBBers.

After that has been managed we need to look at backup strategy and security.

Feel free to jump in at any time.

Alatar

CHRONOLOGY

Tuesday August 16th - PHPBB 2.0.17 Manually Installed - DB Restore requested from host.

Wednesday August 17th - Config.php altered to use correct table prefix and Aeolus Style installed. Test board now open on http://www.board77.com/test You may need to clear cookies or be redirected to the old site.

Database Changes that were required:
  • Cookie changed to phpbb_board77_test
  • Server changed to www,board77.com
  • Script Path changed to /test/ (this will be ./ in final install)
  • Domain chaged to board77.com

Last edited by Alatar on Wed 17 Aug , 2005 11:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 8:38 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'll repost the points I brought up in another thread:

The backups should go to more than one person. (a disgruntled person who has access to the only backup, and has ftp access to the site, could permanently erase the messageboard :Q )

I understand that there is an email list of all active members. Is this kept only on the messageboard, or do people have it on their hard drives? I'm just thinking that if the board fails, for whatever reason, somebody should be able to communicate with everyone regarding the restore progress and instructions.

Someone expressed concern about private messages being visible in the database backup file. A mysqldump file is in plain text, so unless the database is encrypted (does anyone know if it is?) then the file can be opened in any text editor, including Notepad. It might be wise to instruct members not to send anything of a confidential nature via PM. When necessary, ask the recipient to delete the message upon receipt, and remember to delete it from your own Sentbox.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 7:29 pm
of Vinyamar

Jude,

We currently have no control over any of this, but once we have the server on our own domain we will be able to implement everything you mention. That's why it's crucial that we move on this as soon as we can.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
wilko185
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 8:16 pm

Jude wrote:
Someone expressed concern about private messages being visible in the database backup file. A mysqldump file is in plain text, so unless the database is encrypted (does anyone know if it is?) then the file can be opened in any text editor, including Notepad. It might be wise to instruct members not to send anything of a confidential nature via PM. When necessary, ask the recipient to delete the message upon receipt, and remember to delete it from your own Sentbox.
I've never really considered this question before (on any board, I'm not focusing on B77 here). Are there any generally-accepted assurances or standards on messageboards, relating to PM privacy?

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 8:38 pm

I'm glad you guys have been discussing this. I had planned to start a thread but I think I'll just post this here.

I do not intend to do any work towards producing a final plan for membership ownership until there is a firm plan in place for moving to our own domain. I am completely useless in that regard, so I can't really contribute towards developing or implementing that plan, but as soon as it is clear that such a plan is in place (or if it actually happens) I will do the final research that I need to do and present a final ownership plan to the membership, and implement it if it passes.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 8:50 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

:)

Don't you think it's cool how everyone just picks up their own piece of what needs to be done for the board and does it when the time is right? Without any central authority directing the activity?

I think this is so cool. :banana:

Just had to say that.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 8:53 pm

Yes, I agree.

:Wooper:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 9:55 pm
WYSIWYG

What you don't know is that I'm the central authority, directing everything from behind the scenes, pulling the strings - and nobody knows! Mwahahahahaha! =:)

Oooops.

:D

*tries to think of something not completely off topic*

Good job, Alatar and Jude, thanks for taking this up! :hug:

And anyone else with some tech-knowledge, please do join the committee! :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 10:46 pm

Pay no attention to the Hobby behind the curtain.
:dragon:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 10:59 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Jude wrote:
I understand that there is an email list of all active members. Is this kept only on the messageboard, or do people have it on their hard drives? I'm just thinking that if the board fails, for whatever reason, somebody should be able to communicate with everyone regarding the restore progress and instructions.
I don't believe anyone has kept a list. What we do have is a user group called 'All emailees". That's what the Rangers have been using when they send out emails.

Having a list is a good idea just in case something went wrong. Who would keep it though? Rangers are only temporary. I would suggest the Mayor since a) the position is a record keeping position anyway b) the position lasts for a year.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 11:00 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

wilko185 wrote:
I've never really considered this question before (on any board, I'm not focusing on B77 here). Are there any generally-accepted assurances or standards on messageboards, relating to PM privacy?
The only way a Ranger could read someone's PM is to go to the person's member info panel and change the password, then log in as the person. It would be very obvious a Ranger did this as the person wouldn't be able to log on the next time due to a password change.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 11:05 pm
of Vinyamar

True Eru, but any one of the Tech Committee with the knowledge and desire could parse the backup files and extract the PMs. While I'm sure none of us would do this, people should be aware that it's possible.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Aug , 2005 12:39 am
Aspiring to heresy

Alatar wrote:
Jude,

We currently have no control over any of this, but once we have the server on our own domain we will be able to implement everything you mention. That's why it's crucial that we move on this as soon as we can.

Alatar
Yes, I was bringing up issues to be dealt with after we move.

Speaking of the move, something else occurs to me: it's very possible that our backup will have a different table structure than the standard DB setup for a PHP message board. phpbber has many different message boards in their database, while presumably a standard php message board has just one (not speaking from knowledge, just guessing). If this is true, we'll have to fiddle with the sql syntax in the backup file before we can install it on the new board.

(did that make sense to anyone? Sorry if it didn't)

The other possiblity is: based on what's happened so far, we may never ever get the backup file at all :(
truehobbit wrote:
What you don't know is that I'm the central authority, directing everything from behind the scenes, pulling the strings - and nobody knows! Mwahahahahaha! =:)

Oooops.
But now we know.

Two of my decoys are presently on their way to Cologne to deal with the situation. =:)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 7:11 am

Jude wrote:
Speaking of the move, something else occurs to me: it's very possible that our backup will have a different table structure than the standard DB setup for a PHP message board. phpbber has many different message boards in their database, while presumably a standard php message board has just one (not speaking from knowledge, just guessing). If this is true, we'll have to fiddle with the sql syntax in the backup file before we can install it on the new board.

(did that make sense to anyone? Sorry if it didn't)
Correct

The phpbb database in standard format has just one mysql database

The phpbber will probably only be one when they give you a backup ( but this is only a guess ) and the format could go either way

ie Completely different or very similar to standard phpbb

Which goes on to a second point

Before you jump out of the frying pan into the fire have you considered which message board you would implement on the new site ?

reading various posts its seems written that you would stay with phpBB (Free software for BB's with Free support)

Another option would be to use Vbulletin's BB software

(These in my opinion are the only 2 worth considering)

VBulletin is different in that you buy the software for your board $160 for life, first years support free and thereafter $30 per year

Is it worth me rabbiting on abaout the above ?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 7:20 am
Living in hope

Dave, speaking for myself, I think the more we know before we commit to anything, the better. We want this board to be stable, safe, and customizable. Anything you can tell us is great.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 12:34 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What is Vbulletin's BB software written in? PHP? ColdFusion? ASP?

Does it use a similar database structure?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 9:08 pm

Jude wrote:
What is Vbulletin's BB software written in? PHP? ColdFusion? ASP?

Does it use a similar database structure?
Dont get me wrong here, i am not biased at all and not a sales person for either vB or phpBB

vB is pure PHP coded as is phpBB

vB uses a mySQL the same as phpBB (although the databases are not compatible)

They are very similar with quite a few differences

I cant post now as am too busy working and going to airport tomorrow so ill post a full vB vs phpBB pros and cons over the weekend

I have installed, maintained and used both in basic and fully modded versions and hope the advice i give will guide you!

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 10:31 pm
of Vinyamar

Dave, are you interested in joining the standing tech committee? :)

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Aug , 2005 12:42 am
Aspiring to heresy

Erunáme wrote:
Jude wrote:
I don't believe anyone has kept a list. What we do have is a user group called 'All emailees". That's what the Rangers have been using when they send out emails.

Having a list is a good idea just in case something went wrong. Who would keep it though? Rangers are only temporary. I would suggest the Mayor since a) the position is a record keeping position anyway b) the position lasts for a year.
This is a good suggestion, about the Mayor keeping a copy of the email list. I'd feel even safer if more than one person kept it.
Alatar wrote:
There is a test PHPBB set up on the new domain, but it is largely unconfigured. Our hope is that we will be able to recreate the board on the new domain with minimal post loss when the backup is delivered from PHPBBers.
Is there a url for this where we can try it out?

Maybe we should get all the daily backups sorted out ahead of time, so that when we actually move there will be less to change.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Aug , 2005 8:03 am
of Vinyamar

Sure. Can you and Dave PM your Email addresses to me and I'll give you the required info.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 185 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Jump to: